Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New 944 turbo 3.0 or 3.2 16v build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 turbo 3.0 or 3.2 16v build

Hi my name is Rick I'm based in Manchester in the uk and I have owned a 944 track only car for about 10 years. I started with a standard road car as most people do and gradually changed it into a track only car. I have done quite a few track days in the uk mainly at Outon park which is my nearest track but other tracks around the uk. Due to work and young children I have not driven the car much in the last 5 years. But this is all about to change. The car has been refreshed as it has been stud still for a few years and will be tracked again in the next few weeks. I can't wait. How ever as part of the inspections and I have had a bore scope and compression test and although compression is not to bad there are a number of scores on the liners.

I have been reading a number of threads over the last few months about 3.0 and 3.0 16v turbo conversions and have been impressed and motivated by the amount of experience and expertise that has been openly shared by renn list members, because of this I have bought a new engine today for the start of my new conversion engine. I have just bought a 968 engine which I intend to turbo charge and possibly increase into a 3.2 on the advise of others who may help.

If anybody is interested I'm looking for advise on the best way to go. I want to build a fast reliable engine for track use only. I currently have about 370 hp at the fly wheel on my modified car running at about 22 psi boost but would like to drop boost for reliability but still increase power. Will list all current modifications of car if anybody is interested

Sorry this is my first post on any forum and as you can probably tell I'm still finding my way around. Hope this is of interest.......
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Get in contact with Tim at SCS in P.boro for advice and parts. If you haven't already check out his thread on here, username turbotim3.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by blade7
Get in contact with Tim at SCS in P.boro for advice and parts. If you haven't already check out his thread on here, username turbotim3.
Will do thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Didn't Tim sell his car?

The trick with these sort of build questions is how much power is enough and how much $ is in the budget? In many respects it makes sense to select a power figure that you'd be happy with and target how to get there with less boost. If you have a stripped out car which weighs less than stock and you've been running 370bhp then you could probably be happy with say 450bhp at a lower boost figure and keep the car on the track rather than in the shop. The thing is that once you embark on a project it's hard not to consider some extras in the search for more power or reliability. I'd suggest following the latest build thread from Refresh951. Not overly complicated but should produce very good performance for the dollar spent. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-3l-build.html

Also look at videos on Youtube of username Buchanan Automotive. This is in a roadgoing car with a 16v turbo motor that hasn't had a ton of tricks done to it. It's fast and reliable for short sprint durations.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:44 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Didn't Tim sell his car?
I haven't heard from him for quite a while, he hadn't last time we spoke. I'd have thought his engine would do 450+ bhp for a long time without issue. He also built an atmo 3.0 engine for someone to track I think.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I might have him confused with someone else. Agree that he put a nice build together. Worth seeking out in the UK.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:18 PM
blade7
Drifting

He did put it up for sale at one point. It had way over 450 but had gearbox problems I think.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Rick, got to agree with Patrick about keeping boost to reasonable levels. Have a look at Tim's build as his manifold works well and is simple to copy. My 16v turbo is still being set up but initial results are 436hp at 6000rpm at only 1 bar, so 450hp should be easily achievable , this is in a track car at 1207kg. This is also with an elderly k27/8.
Good luck with your build. Simon
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That's the cutdown aftermarket Supra intake, yes? More details on your build Simon?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Didn't Tim sell his car?

The trick with these sort of build questions is how much power is enough and how much $ is in the budget? In many respects it makes sense to select a power figure that you'd be happy with and target how to get there with less boost. If you have a stripped out car which weighs less than stock and you've been running 370bhp then you could probably be happy with say 450bhp at a lower boost figure and keep the car on the track rather than in the shop. The thing is that once you embark on a project it's hard not to consider some extras in the search for more power or reliability. I'd suggest following the latest build thread from Refresh951. Not overly complicated but should produce very good performance for the dollar spent. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-3l-build.html

Also look at videos on Youtube of username Buchanan Automotive. This is in a roadgoing car with a 16v turbo motor that hasn't had a ton of tricks done to it. It's fast and reliable for short sprint durations. SMP GP 2016 session 3 - YouTube
Thanks for that info I'm away at moment and have limited internet access so picking up messages when I can . What is the best way to contact Tim. Can I message him through this forum. Sorry new to rennlist.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by sherry66
Hi Rick, got to agree with Patrick about keeping boost to reasonable levels. Have a look at Tim's build as his manifold works well and is simple to copy. My 16v turbo is still being set up but initial results are 436hp at 6000rpm at only 1 bar, so 450hp should be easily achievable , this is in a track car at 1207kg. This is also with an elderly k27/8.
Good luck with your build. Simon
That looks great what internals have you used. Is that a s2 or 968 engine
Old 04-08-2016, 02:36 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes Patrick , thats the cut down supra manifold ,seems to be working well.
Although not comparable to the quality of Tims build and his results, built the engine in my single garage, we did use some of his ideas.
The internals are flanged liners, PPM rods , JE pistons and rings for a 8 valve so had them flycut for the 16v head , K27/8, baffled sump and supported pick up pipe. The crossover pipe had flanges for turbo headers welded on from spare set. Fabspeed downpipe and 3" stainless exhaust. Augment Automotive ecu running with standerd turbo sensors and turbo bellhousing with sprung 6 puck clutch.
I could say the turbo was chosen after looking at flow maps and compatability to the 16 v head but the reality is seeing a dutch fella getting good results with his, ease of fitment and it was £160 on ebay! I dont need more than 450bhp at the moment.
Rick , contact Nick at Nickson Motorsport if interested in the inlet manifold . He welded mine and will shortly be doing another for me.
While waiting for this to be set up , built up another 3L 8v for the road car..
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by sherry66
Yes Patrick , thats the cut down supra manifold ,seems to be working well.
Although not comparable to the quality of Tims build and his results, built the engine in my single garage, we did use some of his ideas.
The internals are flanged liners, PPM rods , JE pistons and rings for a 8 valve so had them flycut for the 16v head , K27/8, baffled sump and supported pick up pipe. The crossover pipe had flanges for turbo headers welded on from spare set. Fabspeed downpipe and 3" stainless exhaust. Augment Automotive ecu running with standerd turbo sensors and turbo bellhousing with sprung 6 puck clutch.
I could say the turbo was chosen after looking at flow maps and compatability to the 16 v head but the reality is seeing a dutch fella getting good results with his, ease of fitment and it was £160 on ebay! I dont need more than 450bhp at the moment.
Rick , contact Nick at Nickson Motorsport if interested in the inlet manifold . He welded mine and will shortly be doing another for me.
While waiting for this to be set up , built up another 3L 8v for the road car..
Did you use liners because your engine was damaged or to increase the strength. My engine has been bore scoped and the liners seem good. The head will be taken off and checked properly and for any distortion of shape. If they are good I don't know if I should re line them to make a stronger build. If I do replace is it worth putting a deck plate on to protect the head gasket. Does anybody in the uk produce a deck plate or have ad design?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Northern porker
Did you use liners because your engine was damaged or to increase the strength. My engine has been bore scoped and the liners seem good. The head will be taken off and checked properly and for any distortion of shape. If they are good I don't know if I should re line them to make a stronger build. If I do replace is it worth putting a deck plate on to protect the head gasket. Does anybody in the uk produce a deck plate or have ad design?
The original block doesn't have liners and unless it's done a fairly low mileage there's a chance the bores will be slightly oval. How much ovality is acceptable I'm not sure, depends on budget to an extent I suppose.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Did you consider a deck plate

Quick Reply: New 944 turbo 3.0 or 3.2 16v build