Heated Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heated Windshields

Hi,

does anyone have experience with http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acat...n.html#SID=516

?

Do you know of any other heated window manufacturer or any kind of DIY direct heating system for the front windows?

I know Patrick 333pg333 has a similar windscreen in his racecar, anyone else has experience with such?

Big thanks in advance for replies.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:53 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have experience with them, but that's not a bad price for a windscreen. Esp heated, I would be curious too if I ever needed a replacement. I wonder what material it is made of. On the jet I fly, if we use polarized sunglasses we cannot see out of the windscreen clearly since the heating pads polarize the light coming in.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi.

I know of one very trick 951 here in Sweden that has a heated "plastic" windshield. That car is a super clean build and weighs in at 965 kg! and has a mildly prepped 3l with homemade drysump. If you want I can try to find out were he sourced the windshield.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to some regulations my windscreen has to be glass but sure - if the solution is applicable to stock windscreen, then looking forward to hearing about it.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I ever need one of these for my 911! Thanks for the link!

Has anyone used these before? How does the set up work? The website is a little vague!

**edit** found the info. Just an on/off switch, which should prove light years ahead of the 911 HVAC design, so it should blend in well :P

http://heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog...g_details.html

Jase.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:42 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris H
I know Patrick 333pg333 has a similar windscreen in his racecar, anyone else has experience with such?
IIRC his is an OEM option for his market. You could message him to find out more.

If you're not used to it I imagine the defrost lines can be distracting at first.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I fitted a (rear)defroster kit to an old car I had, that didn't come with one. Was pretty easy. I am sure you should still be able to buy one.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Hi.

I know of one very trick 951 here in Sweden that has a heated "plastic" windshield. That car is a super clean build and weighs in at 965 kg! and has a mildly prepped 3l with homemade drysump. If you want I can try to find out were he sourced the windshield.
I would love to know how they can achieve such a low weight. That seems impossible to me. My car is at 1160kg (inc the heated glass screen) with about 20ltr of fuel and all other fluids. I guess they have every last panel replaced with c/f or f/g and no glass on the car at all. Our car has very little metal panelwork on it. Single skin roof and pillars. Tailgate and rear bumper. That's about it. All the rest is f/g or c/f. 200kgs lighter than us is Krazy! Can you post any pics or links to that build?

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
IIRC his is an OEM option for his market. You could message him to find out more.

If you're not used to it I imagine the defrost lines can be distracting at first.
No, I don't believe this was OEM. Pretty sure it was generated out of Melbourne, Victoria (not BC ;-)) for the n/a series they run down there and have to deal with colder, wetter weather than us up here in Sydney. I've never had to turn on the heating elements.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I would love to know how they can achieve such a low weight. That seems impossible to me. My car is at 1160kg (inc the heated glass screen) with about 20ltr of fuel and all other fluids. I guess they have every last panel replaced with c/f or f/g and no glass on the car at all. Our car has very little metal panelwork on it. Single skin roof and pillars. Tailgate and rear bumper. That's about it. All the rest is f/g or c/f. 200kgs lighter than us is Krazy! Can you post any pics or links to that build?

No, I don't believe this was OEM. Pretty sure it was generated out of Melbourne, Victoria (not BC ;-)) for the n/a series they run down there and have to deal with colder, wetter weather than us up here in Sydney. I've never had to turn on the heating elements.

Patrick.

This guy is Swedens most renowned 951 expert and has been racing them forever. He is 60 now and has always been conservative when it comes to altering to much from Porsches original design which I like a lot about him. He do not have a build thread and is very low key about his car and do not like to share. It is all plastic/carbon body with no glass at all and carbon dash. Florors inside in plastic/carbon. Every last little detail is lightened and for instance the fog lights are just very thin gf pieces with wrap on them to look stock😀
Back in the 80:S he raced a selfbuilt camaro silouette tube frame car which was a very light (800kg) and very fast car.
Fit and finish is top notch.

The weight is without fuel.

I will have to ask him about posting pics

Quick Reply: Heated Windshields