Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porche versus bike - CBR600

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sold my car but from personal experinces i would crush your bike in a race from 40 mph to any top end speed say to 150+, i have never lost a race against any bike under 900cc, and even beat many above like 1100cc, my car from 40 mph at full boost would pull away from you and by 3rd gear at 105 mph you would be 4-5 cars behind me not even close to me, im not trying to upset you but your new bike would not be a match for my car maybe others on this site, ive ran at least 30 bikes over the last 8 years to know this for fact, ps i would be turning the boost and fuel up if i ran you to say 23 psi and my car had all the goodies including a custom made k29 with 800+ cfm, but yes off the line you would get me, but by 100 mph i would be past you no doubt in my mind, i can personally tell you how funny it is to see my blue and black fuel smoke shooting out my exhaust in my rear view mirror at 120mph at many bikers and thinking that they may fall off their bike due to the smoke as i recall, by 120 mph this guy was 8 cars behind me, it was funny, i won that won but i blew my head gasket that time cause i turned my boost to 25 psi, have fun the ride look sweet
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 PM
DangerIslandII
Advanced

tecart: want to borrow a period? I have extras.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:45 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yep, I agree. I know I raced a KX-9 and surprised the crap out of my buddy that was in the passenger seat that is big into bikes. He had a TL 1000 that was bad ***.

I stayed right with the bike. Contrary to what others might think in here. And 600 cc aren't even close in a rolling start.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then there is the issue of turning!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Sach951
Pro

Haha... my friend's modified moped ( Yes, Scooter ) can pull away from most exhaust-tip-wielding bling-mobiles They don't like that... oh no...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:53 PM
AKS986
Instructor

I used to be into gopeds as a kid, and from 0-35mph on my race ped i smoked every car i raced, hehe. Fun times. To bad it took more $ to keep that thing running then my 951

shea
Old 10-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tecart - I have to call BS here. Basically, any newer sport bike is faster than almost any car on the road. Even my feeble FZR, which has a modest 103HP (a bit more than stock but not much), is faster than most cars. On an R-1 or a ZX1100R or a GSX-1300R I dont care if we roll from 70, I will pull it up and ride it on one wheel past you. You also mention that you were running a K-29, etc. were you racing stock bikes? DYK that there is a turbo kit and NOS kit for about every variation of bike on the road? You arent even close to comparing apples to apples.

This is a dumb debate though, they are built for completely different things. If you want to have a good time but be thought of as a pest and a menace ride the bike (trust me, this is what all of society thinks about sport bikers, I know). If you want to have a good time and be thought of as someone with an ego problem then take the P-car (this is also what people think). Either way you are screwed so you might as well just enjoy the drive. P.S. can your 944 do wheelies???? Right, I am off to take a little late(r) night ride. :>)

P.S. did you stop to think they stayed behind you because they didnt want to inhale smoke from your car, oil isnt so hot on the bike tires, makes for a crappy ride at 100+
Old 10-07-2003, 04:33 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Tecart I was talking about stock for stock. F1 would dust my 600cc too. I am saying even a modestly modified - chipped 951S is no match for a late 1999 - 2003 600cc sports bike up to 140mph.

But I agree with MatH an R1 will kill you and your highly modified car anytime anyplace - but the corners.

PS. It was not my intention to start another pissing contest.

Last edited by SimonK; 10-07-2003 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Tecart get life! No Porsche can catch any good sport bike with a good rider
especially in the tight twisties. Bring your car to SoCal and we'll see how well
it does in the canyons. We've got alot here!

Good Luck
Loren
'88 Porsche 3.2, '02 YZF600R, '04 BMW Boxer Cup
Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Asarus
Pro

Stop saying that the bikes are slower than your Porsches in corners... you would be surprised to see how fast it can take corners with a good rider on !
Old 10-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I know our 951 won't have a chance but there are some 1000 hp supras who could smoke any bike on the road.... hehe.

But seriously, I don't even think it's worth it to compare our cars to bikes, bikes are much faster. Maybe if one was lightened to about 2500 lbs and was modded to 600 hp, then yea I would believe it.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everyone who thinks a bike is faster in the corners needs to sit down and take a moment to think about a couple things. First is Contact Patch... there's more on 1 car tire than on both MC tires... a car just plain and simple has more ability to stick to the road through corners. It can pull WAY more G's, and will definatally leave a motorcycle behind. There was a test in Car&Driver (or something like that) a few years back where they had Kevin Swantz (ex MC GP roadracer, current sportscar racer) run Laguna on both a motorcycle and in a car. They ran Data Aquisition on both vehicles and overlayed them on a map of the track. In EVERY single corner, the car was faster (I think it was a C5 and an R1) ~ down most of the straights the bike got to a higher top speed and was able to come back down to a slower speed for the corners... but in the end, the times run in the car were faster than those on the bike. No arguments about 'equal driver/riders' because it was the same guy with professional racing experience in both venues.

Yes, bikes are quick, they're sure as hell a lot more fun than any car could ever dream of being and I'm selling my 951 for that reason (after riding, the Porsche could be a Saturn for all I care - it's just a slow box). Bikes will ALWAYS reign in the performance/dollar area ~ but they are not perofmance kings.

FWIW, my background includes 8 years of using a motorcycle (sportbikes specifically) as my only means of transportation. 3 years of running an amature level roadracing team doing everything from sprints to endurance races. I'm a factory trained MC mechanic, and an information hog. I've learned engineering so I could better understand the 'how and why' of motorcycles. If there's one thing I know and know well, it's motorcycles, their abilities and limitations.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Brian, but isn't it nice to have cozy chats with your girlfriend while cruising on the highway in that "slow box" at an average 951 speed in the dead of winter? How about rain? Not sure it would be quite as pleasant on a motorcycle.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:55 PM
mochman
Pro

Luis I agree my chick won't even get on the back of my bike, maybe too many wheel stands he.he.he.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:02 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

It's not the contact patch that's the problem through corners it's the lean factor. Cars do not lean and have 4 wheels. Bikes eventually can't turn any more - they do not slide of the road they simple run out of the turn cycle - unless you can stick your knees under ground!

Top Gear did a test with a 600cc sport bike versus Porsche 996 on the Silverstone race track. Jeremy Clarkson got terribly excited because the car won. The car won alright but only by 0.10 seconds.

The car got killed on straights and bike lost through corners - that was it - pretty logical really.

So the lesson is - twisty small country road - go for it you will win over bike. Motorway with some slight twists - turn up your CD, air con, relax and enjoy the view.

Quick Reply: Porche versus bike - CBR600