Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New SPEC 944T Clutch Teaser

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gustaf:

Thanks for the information. I too wanted to switch to high speed Hall, I will send you a PM for more information. Sucks to hear about the set screws in the aluminum wheel, I was liking that idea as it would save a ton of weight. Do you feel the poor signal was do to the factory VR sensor or did you also try another sensor?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Gustaf:

Thanks for the information. I too wanted to switch to high speed Hall, I will send you a PM for more information. Sucks to hear about the set screws in the aluminum wheel, I was liking that idea as it would save a ton of weight. Do you feel the poor signal was do to the factory VR sensor or did you also try another sensor?
Instead of set screws how about regular hex-head cap screws?
Would give a bigger "target".
Old 01-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Does your ECU have options for tooth count?
Could you just count the teeth on the 944 sprocket and tell the ECU to run with that?

I recall some LS1 guys have used the 944 camshaft gear bolted to the transaxle output as a VSS wheel because the tooth count matched.
Yes the ECU can handle any combination.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Yes the ECU can handle any combination.
If you are using the balance shaft gear for VR/hall do you need a missing tooth or do you have some other TDC reference?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

My thinking was to drill and tap for 1/4-28 fine pitch set screws, but have them bottom out with enough height remaining so that when I machine them off flush with the FW OD, it would leave perfectly round 1/4" steel pick up points. That was a mouthful and a run on sentence. I would think this would work fine, but I have no personal experience and looks like Gustaf has already tried this approach.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are using the balance shaft gear for VR/hall do you need a missing tooth or do you have some other TDC reference?
The tooth from the BS pulley was machined off and then a new 36-1 ring was made to fit and put on.

My thinking was to drill and tap for 1/4-28 fine pitch set screws, but have them bottom out with enough height remaining so that when I machine them off flush with the FW OD, it would leave perfectly round 1/4" steel pick up points. That was a mouthful and a run on sentence. I would think this would work fine, but I have no personal experience and looks like Gustaf has already tried this approach.
That would be one step further than I took it so that might work well. I set all the screws by a dial caliper but there was still the problem with the socket head in the set screws.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

It's been a few days...
Lindsey, time for pics
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am running the sync and ref sensors off of my cam sprocket. We drilled and inserted 8 magnets evenly spaced in the cam sprocket for the reference sensors and a 9th magnet where the points used to go for the sync sensor. Makes for a very clean modification and gets your sensors away from any debris. Would take pictures but the engine is in the middle of a re-build.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been a few days...
Lindsey, time for pics
No pics yet. Maybe tomorrow. What I can tell you is that is has a few hundred pounds of additional clamp load which translates into approx 70 ft. lbs. extra capacity per stage. Those capacities we "should" have tomorrow.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am running the sync and ref sensors off of my cam sprocket. We drilled and inserted 8 magnets evenly spaced in the cam sprocket for the reference sensors and a 9th magnet where the points used to go for the sync sensor. Makes for a very clean modification and gets your sensors away from any debris. Would take pictures but the engine is in the middle of a re-build.

Bob:

I would be very interested in seeing some pics of this setup. I assume since you are using magnets, you are using high speed Hall sensors?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Bob:

I would be very interested in seeing some pics of this setup. I assume since you are using magnets, you are using high speed Hall sensors?

Thanks,

Eric
Should be getting it back together in the near future, waiting on pistons, will take pictures then. Using magnetic Hall sensors for both pickups.

Which ECU are you using?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:18 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

TEC-GT

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Luis sent me a link to Patrick Motorsports last night and the aluminum 968 FW with the 60-2 ring looks awesome! How difficult to fit this to a 951? Is it worth the effort? I have always wanted to switch to the quick clutch swap 968 bell housing anyway. I think George D has done this.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:45 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Should be getting it back together in the near future, waiting on pistons, will take pictures then. Using magnetic Hall sensors for both pickups.

Which ECU are you using?
Bob what are you doing? Full rebuild?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:29 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Bob what are you doing? Full rebuild?
No choice, the pillow block that supports the wrist pin in the piston failed. Blew a hole in the bottom of the oil pan, destroyed the rod on the failed piston and scored the liner. The block was salvageable by boring out the cylinders to 4.165-in or 105.8 mm. LR has ordered me some JE pistons that should be here hopefully in the next week. After pistons arrive I will get the measurements and order some Pauter rods. In the mean time the pistons will go to the machine shop for the final hone. If all goes well I am hoping to have it back on the track by the latter half of February, neither I nor the car will be ready for the Two Step but maybe COTA dependent on when the daughter graduates from her masters program.

I am still in limbo about putting a bigger hotside on the turbo. I will probably see how it runs and get some data points first before making any final decisions. As it will take a retune if I replace the hotside instead of a tweak.

Quick Reply: New SPEC 944T Clutch Teaser