Which Head Gasket for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:33 AM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Head Gasket for me?

I'm looking to resolve the head gasket issue forever. I was running the Wide Fire Ring (WFR) gasket for a few times, but I'm tired of changing the thing. The failure most every time has been my fault, til now. I re-used the original head studs a few times when i didn't know better, and I ran the boost at 19 psi with stock inj's/FPR (ok, i was racing an American V8 type car, and it was well worth it). It's been my fault, til now.

Now the HG failed again with my recent Turbo change and i'm sick of it! This has always been a great place to exchange info, so i figured I'd put it to consensus. Here's my current set-up:

89 951 2.5L, fresh rings and rod bearings, good cyl walls, fresh head with all new guts (everything!), Kokeln Stg 5 turbo, L/R MAF2/WG/BOV, adj FPR, 52# Bosch inj's, test pipe, stock muffler(for now), heat wrapped exh manifold and cross over pipe, raceware head studs, and a few other things that don't matter much.

I'm looking for input, and to educate myself and others, about HG's and how they pertain to my set-up. I'm thinking that I'll go with the Huntley Racing Full Metal Jacket type with metal O-rings. My head is only shaved a little bit, and I read on their web site that it won't matter if the head is shaved.

i'm open to input, and thanks for your suggestions.

dug
Old 09-30-2003, 12:36 AM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red face oh, and another thing

I just bought a really nice Sony Digital camera, and I'll document my progress on this site for everyone's amusement!

Any input wil be appreciated!

dug
Old 09-30-2003, 12:46 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest some dyno time to dial in the air/fuel ratio on your car and then any headgasket will work fine.

I run Guru Racings Metal headgasket
Old 09-30-2003, 02:25 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Performance Developments @ 949 646 7461. They are the original developers/users of these gaskets and have since supplied others well known. They can offer engineering data and other information the others cannot.

Go to the source.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:35 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Without a doubt, get the new full metal 3 piece head gasket.

The WideFire is nothing more than a stock head gasket with one SIDE (the wrong side!) a little wider. It's a joke that people even consider this an upgrade... as it's a piece of crap in my opinion.

Also, post a pic of the failed area of your head gasket. This will give good clues as to why you keep blowing the gaskets. Also, if you have a pair if inside calipers, measure the fire ring for roundness and report your findings.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Danno
Race Director

"The WideFire is nothing more than a stock head gasket with one SIDE (the wrong side!) a little wider. It's a joke that people even consider this an upgrade... as it's a piece of crap in my opinion."

TonyG's right on as usual. For photos and analysis of failed headgaskets, please review my article here: http://www.gururacing.net/RennlistThreads/HeadgasketDissertation.pdf. Close-up photos and further discussion here: GURU Forums: Ultimate Headgasket

We offer the Cometic all metal headgaskets at $115/ea in stock 100mm and 106mm overbore sizes.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:54 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would 2nd Cometic head gaskets as I had a failure a few weeks ago myself and swapping to a metal gasket solved my coolant blowby problem on full boost.
The problem with my old headgasket was that Ireused it after I had it fully clamped (spun a head stud, that is why). After putting timecerts, I figured I could reuse the gasket and I was trying to make it to Hershey swap meet, so I was forced to reuse my head gasket. Turned out that wide fire ring headgasket did not seat properly the second time and also reusing it made the fire ring protude into the combustion chamber, hence causing a hot spot. Get themetal gasket and get your air/fuel ratio dialed in and you should be good to go.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I've been running a widefire for 2 years now at 19-21 psi with zero problems. The fuel curve and timing are dialed in with a Tec3. I plan to install a new head this winter and at that time I'll switch to the metal gasket, much better design. It'll be interesting to see what that piece of crap widefire looks like.

Alan C.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:47 PM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

All good info....

thanks guys, I'll begin tearing into it next week. I'll post my triumphs and failures as they occur.

968TurboS,
did you once have an 89-951 for sale in central NJ (Piscataway) that was maroon or burgundy? If so, I think I test drove it once.

dug
Old 09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My mechanic installed a copper gasket a couple of months ago, but I'm getting water into my number one cylinder now so he's replacing it under warranty. He said he's going to mic the head and block to see why it went and will probably go with the stock one as it's more compressible than copper. I can only assume the head mating suface was checked when it has rebuilt, and I'm hoping I don't have a problem with the block.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Dug,
I used the Cometic gasket on my 2.8. No issues.
FYI, If you want to adjust your compression ratio, Cometic makes the gaskets in three sizes: .020, .030(stock) and .050(abouts)

btw, be glad your headgasket broke and not something else... Sounds like you have something else wrong.

What chips are you running? What about your A/F ratio?

Sean
Old 09-30-2003, 04:57 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Peckster

Your problems are typical of copper head gaskets. They are best left for drag racing.

Get the new style 3 piece head gaskets and your problem will go bye-bye.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I agree with Tony. I'd feel a lot better with the 3 pc metal as opposed to the copper gasket.

Alan C.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I've got the metal 3 piece in mine as well. Absolutely zero complaints. Tell your mechanic to use the copper adhesive for "extra insurance".
Old 09-30-2003, 07:11 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Mike S

Do not use the copper spray. First off, it does nothing to seal anything since the head gasket is Viton coated. It's the Viton that does the sealing. The copper will not stick to the Viton, and comes off, and you will see, sooner or later, copper particles in the coolant.

In fact, the copper spray can to a certain degree, cause a little bit of leakage (weeping). Ask me how I know.

Been there done that.

Quick Reply: Which Head Gasket for me?