Which Head Gasket for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it is detonation what kills the head gasket not the HP or boost
Head gaskets can fail from other issues as well.

When a head gasket fails from detonation, what you will see is the HG burned through. The excessive temps that cause detonation will melt the metal in the gasket and burn the gasket material.

Another failure can come from high cylinder pressure or a lack of clamping force. But usually it is a combination of both. If your boost is high and your head studs are out of torque (low clamping force) the pressure will actually push the gasket out. The head gasket will oval. If the head gasket ovals too much, you will get a leak. Low clamping force can also come from a warped block or head. I had this happen to my last head gasket.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer
"Oh, and Cometic sells all the sizes you need, and I was told 79.99 each. So ~170 for me."

Be careful here. The price you quote is not for the HP series, which are what is rrequired for Turbocharged engines. The lower cost Gaskets are for NA engines only.

I will verfiy this, but I do believe they asked if I was planning boost and I said yes.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
Head gaskets can fail from other issues as well.

When a head gasket fails from detonation, what you will see is the HG burned through. The excessive temps that cause detonation will melt the metal in the gasket and burn the gasket material.

Another failure can come from high cylinder pressure or a lack of clamping force. But usually it is a combination of both. If your boost is high and your head studs are out of torque (low clamping force) the pressure will actually push the gasket out. The head gasket will oval. If the head gasket ovals too much, you will get a leak. Low clamping force can also come from a warped block or head. I had this happen to my last head gasket.
Same with mine. Distorted but not burn thru

Quick Reply: Which Head Gasket for me?