Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

767 hp dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 AM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You mention custom JE pistons. Are these modified stock JE or to your own design ?
Still interested in those front wings if they are still available, could you pm me. Thanks simon
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I presume someone has pushed the engines past the the limits but I don't know how to find that knowledge, it's somewhere in the sands of time.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Switching to the next frame size of turbo is a salty bill for sure, but you should not have too many problems selling your current turbo.
I will put another 100 crowns
It's not so much the cost of changing turbo, it's more the cost of the whole long block going into pieces if something fails above 800 hp
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sherry66
You mention custom JE pistons. Are these modified stock JE or to your own design ?
Still interested in those front wings if they are still available, could you pm me. Thanks simon
The pistons don't differ a lot but it's our own design to suit this engine.

Sorry, I'll send a reply right away!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thingo
I presume someone has pushed the engines past the the limits but I don't know how to find that knowledge, it's somewhere in the sands of time.
I'm not sure it has been built a high displacement 16v turbo engine to the level of e.g. our engines in the past. Norwood built some high hp 16v turbo engines but it was still a few years back and technologies have improved.

What is the plan for your engine from here?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I'm not sure it has been built a high displacement 16v turbo engine to the level of e.g. our engines in the past. Norwood built some high hp 16v turbo engines but it was still a few years back and technologies have improved.

What is the plan for your engine from here?
I do think there is other engines out there, mine still needs development,(we ran out of time) I need a bit of recovery, but we never got our secondary injectors working so we ran out of fuel, and the exhaust manifold needs some adjustment, our tune at WTAC was very safe. Oh and some heat issues....
Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to clarify - my engine is not a result of the "hybrid stroker" concept that has been successfully done by other members on this board. My engine concept and specs in regards to stroke, bore, pistons, rings, head, cams, intake manifold design, exhaust header design, turbo, engine mapping, drive train, head sealing, balance shafts etc. is something I designed myself with some input regarding the bottom end from my engine shop.
IMO this is the greatest 944\968 build ever done and I hold your efforts and this car in VERY high regard. However, IMO it IS a "Hybrid Stroker". How can it not be,it is an offset grind, it has EVO rods, and it is dry sleeved. Not trying to take anything away from the build but it is clear that this motor is based on Sid's design.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by refresh951
IMO this is the greatest 944\968 build ever done and I hold your efforts and this car in VERY high regard. However, IMO it IS a "Hybrid Stroker". How can it not be,it is an offset grind, it has EVO rods, and it is dry sleeved. Not trying to take anything away from the build but it is clear that this motor is based on Sid's design.

Thank you Shawn!

This engine would for sure not have been stroked if it hadn't been for Sid. As I wrote earlier, all credit to Sid for introducing the idea in this community. I don't want to take anything away from Sid. I just wanted to explain how we come to the conclusion to use the same rods. We did our own homework and came to the same conclusion independently. That just confirms Sids initial investigation
But I don't think it's fair to say that dry sleeving a 944/968 block is somehow credited to the "hybrid stroker" concept. That has been done since way back all over the world with these engines.

In my book, we took the offset stroker idea from Sid. Everything else was done based upon on our own investigations or experience from the past (my shop have been both wet and dry sleeving these blocks for many years etc).

To me I always thought of the Hybrid stroker as a concept to set a stroke X bore to be able to re-use as many existing parts as possible such as the small block pistons etc in an effort to find a cost effective solution for high hp. My engine philosophy is very different in that aspect. But if anyone wants to call it a Hybrid stroker it doesn't really matter
Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Isn't offset stroker = hybrid stroker?

Cylinder sleeve types or stock walls are not part of hybrid stroker concept afaik.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Voith
Isn't offset stroker = hybrid stroker?

Lol there isn't exactly a set definition...
But sure, if that is your definition then this engine is indeed a hybrid stroker. That's just not how I defined the concept myself. But it's a pointless discussion. I think this discussion started as there was some reference to Chris White and I've clearly stated now that my engine is offset stroked after being inspired by Sid.
Case closed.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thingo
I do think there is other engines out there, mine still needs development,(we ran out of time) I need a bit of recovery, but we never got our secondary injectors working so we ran out of fuel, and the exhaust manifold needs some adjustment, our tune at WTAC was very safe. Oh and some heat issues....
I know all about heat issues...

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happened? Oil leakage on the turbo?..
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dutch944

What happened? Oil leakage on the turbo?..
Oil feed hose to turbo developed a tiny leak. The oil that leaked onto the turbo blanket eventually caught fire. We saw it when I came in hot (lol) into the pitlane for a quick tire pressure adjustment. We saw a little more smoke than usual from under the hood...

The picture is from the my helmet camera when I opened the hood after my mechanic was rushing for an extinguisher.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

I know all about heat issues...
Gustaf, the key is "Internal" combustion.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 138 Posts
Default "Hybrid Stroker"??

With all due respect, the offset grind stroker and dry sleeves (as Duke mentioned) have been applied to 944 engines for a lot longer than the builds referenced; effectively utilized too. That said, Sid and Shawn made the information/technique available to the community, and that's the great contribution!

Thank you Shawn!

This engine would for sure not have been stroked if it hadn't been for Sid. As I wrote earlier, all credit to Sid for introducing the idea in this community. I don't want to take anything away from Sid. I just wanted to explain how we come to the conclusion to use the same rods. We did our own homework and came to the same conclusion independently. That just confirms Sids initial investigation
But I don't think it's fair to say that dry sleeving a 944/968 block is somehow credited to the "hybrid stroker" concept. That has been done since way back all over the world with these engines.

In my book, we took the offset stroker idea from Sid. Everything else was done based upon on our own investigations or experience from the past (my shop have been both wet and dry sleeving these blocks for many years etc).

To me I always thought of the Hybrid stroker as a concept to set a stroke X bore to be able to re-use as many existing parts as possible such as the small block pistons etc in an effort to find a cost effective solution for high hp. My engine philosophy is very different in that aspect. But if anyone wants to call it a Hybrid stroker it doesn't really matter

Quick Reply: 767 hp dyno