Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The RP968 It's a bit of a thing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mate, this is one amazing build. pretty speechless.

I have no excused but to be a WTAC next year. pretty bumed i missed it this year. From what i heard how the car was set up, and how well david drove the car, there are seconds to gain!

and i believe patrick and paul have the potential to get his car to first place.

How would that go down in the media.. 2 porsches win at a mostly Japanese car event.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Must have taken some guts to cut apart an apparently nice-looking 968, as I imagine there aren't a thousand available in Australia?

Just one question : what inspired you to reverse the head? Perhaps not the turbo location considering the relatively long (because certainly pulse-tuned) exhaust manifolds?
That's the biggest novelty I have seen in a while, and it rulez
Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom

Just one question : what inspired you to reverse the head? Perhaps not the turbo location considering the relatively long (because certainly pulse-tuned) exhaust manifolds?
That's the biggest novelty I have seen in a while, and it rulez

Totally agree! Why not take advantage of the 928 heritage lol. few years ago I briefly thought about reversing head on my 924 2.5 16v turbo project but abandoned the idea as there things that could have yeielded more gains though it makes much more sense than running a crossover pipe.

Really would like to get to know more of what was involved besides cams.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

There is a close-up picture posted somewhere that suggests the oil feed line is taken from the back of the block at its original location then goes alongside the head to feed the original location below the oil pressure relief valve in the head...?
Coolant is flowing out of the head from the centered hole where we normally have a larger bolt...?
Looks like some block-off plate was made to remove the stock water pump, probably to use an electric pump placed somewhere else in the circuit...?
The two guiding pins and the oil drain holes were probably not too difficult to modify, but if the stock drain holes in the heads were filled/welded, isn't there a risk of camshaft bearings going out of shape during the welding process because of the heat?
Wouldn't it actually be detrimental to heat extraction having the exhaust manifolds above the engine without using a heavily-vented hood? I can imagine that this nice CF front body section may melt under prolonged runs...?

Are Catcams actually ground in Belgium? Some of their profiles look remarkably close to the dbilas ones...

Ok, that is more questions than I thought I would ask, sorry
Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just amazing. Has to be the craziest 968 build ever.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Its Amazing, its also the most developed 944/968 anywhere in the world. When this 968 is sorted i can't imagine anything coming close.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job.

And BTW... thanks for the info on the Albins gearbox. I'm getting ready to order mine.

TonyG
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow!
Impressive!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, rotating the head was not overly complicated, just the oil and water paths, it meant we could make a better exhaust manifold and we now have the hot and cold sides of the engine separated.

The intercooler radiator combo is from pwr, intake temps were 5 degrees above ambient

Custom engine and turbo mounts

Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

That has got to be a blast to drive!!
Thanks for sharing the build details
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Rod, what was this i was hearing going through wastegates on the weekend?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Rod, in some pics with the hood off, there is an alu sheet over the radiator. Is this just a modular protection for the radiator?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:42 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We do have a few teething problems, as to be expected really, we don't have any back pressure so the manifold design has to be just right, we only got one run on the soft tyre, but the car is very fast.
Yes that plate is just for protection, the radiator core is fragile, and as soon as the protection is in place it converts to a table!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:55 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say just one thing.....

I hope you win across the board. An effort like this certainly deserves it.

And I clearly understand the kind of money being spent to achieve your goal. And I applaud the effort and engineering being poured in! Very impressive for sure.

I thought I was out of control. But it's clear that you're far more out of control than I.

I'm using you to show my wife that what I'm doing doesn't really constitute spending a lot of money.....

Thanks!

:-)

TonyG
Old 10-23-2015, 01:35 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
I gotta say just one thing.....

I hope you win across the board. An effort like this certainly deserves it.

And I clearly understand the kind of money being spent to achieve your goal. And I applaud the effort and engineering being poured in! Very impressive for sure.

I thought I was out of control. But it's clear that you're far more out of control than I.

I'm using you to show my wife that what I'm doing doesn't really constitute spending a lot of money.....

Thanks!

:-)

TonyG
If he wins in his category, then he'll win the whole event. Rod is in the highest/fastest category "pro class"
Patrick is in the middle, or the one behind it "open class"

Quick Reply: The RP968 It's a bit of a thing...