Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

De-pressurizing fuel rail...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-pressurizing fuel rail...Update!!!

I know this has been covered, but an archive search turned up nothing. I am replacing the FPR and Damper this weekend(if it quits raining), in the hopes of curing the fuel smell in the oil, and have the procedure from Clarks', but there is no mention of how to de-pressurize the fuel lines prior to removing the FPR. 86-951. Thank ya, thank ya for any suggestions.

Last edited by Eric; 10-15-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:45 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

You can try running the engine and then pulling the fuel pump fuse. This will cut the supply of fuel to your engine and cause it to stall. Then take out the keys, disconnect battery cables, and you should be good to go.

BTW, be careful when you loosen/tighten the nut at the fuel dampener. The rail is soft and is quite easy to bend.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

sm, Thanks, I will give it a try, and if dry enough maybe finally get my exhaust replaced
Old 09-20-2003, 12:27 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

The most strange thing I have ever done... I pulled the DME Relay to depressurize my fuel rail. Wanna guess what happens?
It idled at like 600 rpm for about 20 seconds before I cut the key.
Whoa.
:P
Old 09-20-2003, 10:55 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnect the battery. Then wrap a rag around the 19mm cap at the end of the rail and tuck another rag underneathe while you unscrew it. Wear goggles just in case. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Well, I pulled the car into the yard--de-pressurized the system with the fuse-pull trick took off the old FPR and Damper, and realized I had the wrong replacement from Paragon--doh! The FPR I took off the car was part#280-160-227, the one from Paragon was 280-160-286(it had a threaded fuel line connection instead of the nipple connection). I also took a good look at the small fuel line that runs from the front of the rail to the damper(part 944-110-42302), and it was cracked along the bend(although the inner braided line still looks good), I figured better to replace than burn my ride up. Hopefully Paragon stocks this too.

Also, I found a new-in-box Mahle oil filter in one of my "parts boxes"--it is #OC142--is this a turbo filter? Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am updating my progress on my fuel smell-in-oil problem.

I replaced the Damper and FPR and stubby line from Damper to rail, and changed oil/filter and my other fuel line (connecting damper to hard line) developed a drip. I just received factory-style replacement lines from Lindsey with compression fittings attaching the flex lines to the hard lines. The lines look like quality units, and I am looking forward to getting them installed. The good news is the car has been sitting here at my office for some time, and after periodic starts, I do not notice any more fuel smell in the oil

The bad news is, the exhaust still smells like fuel as if I am running rich. No black smoke, and I have a new O2 sensor. How can I correct a rich consition on a completely stock 86?? I am going to pull the plugs when I do the fuel line swap(although I just replaced these 2 months ago and the old plugs showed no unusual signs of fuel or sludge)

Once again, any help appreciated, and I will update again when I swap the fuel lines.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:49 PM
sm
Drifting

Hey Eric,

I replaced my injectors with OEM units and so far the oil smells like it should. The last time I sniffed the oil, it smelled a little like gas, but I'm not sure if that's from residual gas left in the oil system.

And I think the best way to test if your problem is solved is to drive the car for a while until everything gets hot and then shut the motor off. Come back a few hours later and sniff the gas.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

sm,

Yes, I am currently debating wether to replace the injectors while I am doing the fuel lines, since I will have it all apart anyways. I think new OEM are like 90-100 a piece correct? Or I could just get mine rebuilt(if I have the time).
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 AM
sm
Drifting

The OEM ones are about $80 each from Paragon.

I had mine rebuilt, and that's when the problems started. I'm going to call them now to see what's the status of them (I sent them back))...
Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you've got chips, the cheapest option for new injectors is the RaceTronix 55lbs, and just have the chip programmed (on Guru ones, turn the pot to set) for the 55lb injectors. Gives you more headroom for future mods AND saves money!

Sam

Quick Reply: De-pressurizing fuel rail...