Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

hesitation stumbling in 4th around 15psi

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 02:25 AM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation stumbling in 4th around 15psi

Installed the guru chips, wastegate shims and 3bar fpr with reliaboost. At first I had a horrible time with it because the car jerked and stumbled like something really bad had gone wrong. So I made some adjustments to the reliaboost and now I have my car set to around 15psi top in 4th gear. I can shift normaly through each gear and pull very well. However every time in mainly 4th and 5th gear that I get a hesitation or stumble. i can let off the gas a bit and it will smooth out. I have the 88 turbo S , but have a k26/6 turbo in it, so my top end is not as good as it was stock. I am running the latest Guru chips, wastegate shims reliaboost and 3 bar FPR.

Just got the car. Since I have put on brand new porsche wires, bosch copper plugs>(I feel this might be partially the problem because my mechanic said he gapped them slightly larger?)
I have replaced all the hoses, fuel lines etc. The car should be tip top. However now matter what I set the reliaboost to I can not seem to go through 4th gear without hesitation? It almost sounds like the car is sputtering if you have the window down you know?

any ideas?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

could be detonation?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:40 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Try reinstalling your'e original chips to see if it does the same thing.If not problem lyes else were.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Which Guru chips do you have? If you have the standard Turbo S chips, then they will be mapped incorrectly for your K26/6, even though you have a Turbo S car. That might explain your problems.

Also, what does your boost curve look like? Incorrectly set boost will also have the same symptoms.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Flight_951
Pro

If the chips are correct, I'd swap in new plugs (maybe even colder than stock). I have heard of decreasing the gap slightly with higher boost and a stock/aging ignition system, but not increasing it. (What did he increase it to? Is your coil new/aftermarket too?) Or you could just regap the new plugs the mechanic put in. It would be relatively easy to find your problem here or rule this variable out. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:35 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Only chips i have are 2 (europroducts chips) and 2 (turbo S original chips) then these that danno sent about a month ago. They should be fairly new. Now that being said he is sending me a new DME chip to go with my k26/6 turbo. Apparently the one he sent for the larger S turbo has 10% more fuel up top which might expalin my problems. I have switched each chips combo out you can imagine. At best I run well except hard excell in 4th or 5th gear near peak torque.

I will try some properly gapped bosch coppers myself today. Then if that does not work I will Just have to keep calling Danno to send me a new DME.
Unless anyone out there has a regular turbo DME that will work for me.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:34 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

i just drove the car after a cold start and it ran fine for about 15min. I then came inside and about 1/2 hour later went back out and ran the same run. Problem starts again? I look under the hood and the cover to the Throttle position sensor is gone? Luckily I found it lying in the engine bay?
I cleaned out the TPS real well and placed the sensor cover back on. I taped it real well just to make sure it stays on. I will glue it if things work out.

However I drive again same problem. I noticed near the passenger side of the car under the hood there is a pipe that comes straight up by the headders. This pipe does not have a cap on it anymore? It did have a red one i thought before, but nothing there at all now. I look up at the hood and notice oil has sprayed above that pipe onto my hood? Hum:

Then I go to the front of the car. Where the rotor cap attaches at the bottom there is some oil. Cant tell if is Power steering or not. I am fairly sure i have a slight Power Steering leak. I wiped it very clean.

From there I went to the intercooler piping. The hard pipe that attaches to the in-side of the intercooler has a crack in the rubber connector? i can not tell if this is a problem or not, but I plan on replacing it here as soon as the engine cools down. All the other wires, connectors I can see look ok. Plus the fact that it ran exellent at a cold start makes me wonder about the plugs?

any more ideas?
Old 09-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by bdellis
Now that being said he is sending me a new DME chip to go with my k26/6 turbo. Apparently the one he sent for the larger S turbo has 10% more fuel up top which might expalin my problems.
It sounds like you have the wrong chips for your K26/6 turbo. They are mapped incorrectly for your K26/6 in the midrange where the K26/6 builds boost earlier than the K26/8, and also at the high end where the K26/8 holds more boost. I would wait for the correct chips before doing anything else. The problems are probably most evident in 4th and 5th gear where you develop more boost than in the lower gears.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:42 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Well, I may in fact have the wrong chip, however the problem of my main concern has been found.
Yea a vac leak. Guess where? the rubber connector to the intercooler inlet. It took me days of driving and it consistantly getting worse to finaly see it. I guess it finally just got bigger and bigger until I could actually see the crack. I took off the connector and today (Sunday) there is nowhere to find a new one. Tomorrow I will order one or go to my local porsche dealer and see if I can get the part. In the mean time I went to ACE Hardware and got a connector of the same size. I brought my reliaboost down a bit and did my best to get the intercooler piping and connector as close as possible to avoid a (bubble) when I boost. After some tweaking i got it together pretty good. A good bandage anyway. I took it out for a Drive and it boosted fine through each gear. I even did hit 15psi several times. In fact on a twisty road I ran into a Mercedes. it was a rather new one, but not sure what model. The guy took off once we got on a straight road and I was right on his tail the whole way. In fact I was gaining and could have passed if it were not a 2 lane road.
It said AMG on it so im not sure which Mercedes it was? It had to be a fast car though because I felt my car was running faster than I have ever had it run, And it was a close run.

Any Idea what the deal is with the tube that goes up by the headers on the passenger side? Should this not have a top on it? I thougt it had a red rubber stopper on it before, but I might be mistaken. I am a bit worried because of the oil I saw on the hood before? Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks all for the info.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a common problem, cracks in rubber that only open up under high boost levels.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Flight_951
Pro

The tube you are asking about near the headers sounds like the CO sampling tube. Mine has a blue rubber cover.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:03 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Yes, Flight_951 that sounds right regarding the CO sampling tube. Should I just find a new rubber cover for it? Or maybe tape it off in the mean time? Is there a reason it might blow oil onto the hood like it did? It does not appear to be doing this anymore though?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:16 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

I have gone ahead and ordered both sides of the intercoolers hose connectors. I figure if ones gone the other is soon to follow. They were cheap too. 15$ from my local porsche dealer. I could not have purchased it cheaper of the net due to shipping costs.

Is there any other main ares of concern as far as boost leaks? My car is running great now. I am truely afraid of it!
I want to check all the man hoses though. I do not feel very confident that my mechanic did a very good check for me based upon the fact that he thought a boost leak was a bad clutch
I plan on jacking up the car and going fron intake to turbo all the way up to the ic and back into the throttle. But is there any real areas of concern to focus on. Also now that my boost is a good bit higher than before. 5 to 6 psi more across the board I am a bit concerned with other areas of the car holding up to the stress. Before the car slowly boosted now it hits hard and fast. Which is great, but probably puts a bit more stresss on areas such as the tranny etc. I have flushed the gear oil. changed the oil plugs, wires, FPR, Fuel lines and coolant(used some water wetter and I can say it truely makes a difference for those of you who may not have used it!)
I have docs that the PO had the CV's repacked, timimg belt and roller as well as seals etc done less than 5,000 ago. I also have a power steering leak but I will post a separate topic on it.
Anyway any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: hesitation stumbling in 4th around 15psi