Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally back to a real 60-2 Trigger Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/pa...l-porsche-968/

This is the one you mean Patrick, unfortunately they are not suitable for the Turbo and so you get a smaller flywheel which means it can hold less power (i think)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Patrick Motorsports makes a 60-2 fly. I think Rich Luciano bought one from memory. Looks like reasonable costs vs alternatives. http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/
Something you're not telling us mate? hahah
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

No, I'm sure Rich got this one made for his 3ltr 8v turbo motor. Despite the obvious question, I have no shares in this company. ;-)
I actually got the CEP one that Reno mentioned before. They are actually somewhat different.

Just saying that the Clewitt stuff is not bad but probably not a huge difference in price point to a full custom flywheel.
Attached Images    
Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Hope the Clewett piece works!

Even after true'ing on a lathe, this was the best waveform I could get with a crank trigger wheel. There's still vibration of the crank and mounting points that'll cause variation.

Looking at the CW setup, it's not surprising it didn't work well. That's not a very secure place to put it.
Gap is also critical. Most like gap of 0.025" or less. Also some sensors don't have a perfect symmetrical polar pickup pattern, so sometimes it helps to try rotating the sensor (all while maintaining the correct gap).
Yes the gap is key, super close. interesting point on the polar pickup patterns. I am going to have to pay attention to that. I am going to have find a scope so i can run tests again with the Clewett setup.

Originally Posted by rlm328
Whose ECU are you using? I am using the cam gear for my ref and sync.
I am using the LINK ecu. No cam pickup at this point. One less thing to worry about at the moment. Once i have it all squared away i'll start messing with one.

Originally Posted by KSira
What ecu and trigger sensor are you using? I had no trouble with the Chris white 60-2 set up.
I am using Link and the electromotive hall sensor if i am not mistaken.

No, I'm sure Rich got this one made for his 3ltr 8v turbo motor. Despite the obvious question, I have no shares in this company. ;-)
I actually got the CEP one that Reno mentioned before. They are actually somewhat different.

Just saying that the Clewitt stuff is not bad but probably not a huge difference in price point to a full custom flywheel.
Pat as matter of fact right before i got this setup i spoke with Patrick Motorsports and they couldn't help. They didn't have a flywheel that would work with 951 with the 60-2 setup. They told me it was because its not a popular setup and most ppl went with a Clewett setup.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

So this could actually be made out of a standard 944 flywheel..
Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I have the same setup for my build, love the craftsmanship. Top notch product IMO.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Yes the gap is key, super close. interesting point on the polar pickup patterns. I am going to have to pay attention to that. I am going to have find a scope so i can run tests again with the Clewett setup.

I am using the LINK ecu. No cam pickup at this point. One less thing to worry about at the moment. Once i have it all squared away i'll start messing with one.

I am using Link and the electromotive hall sensor if i am not mistaken.

Pat as matter of fact right before i got this setup i spoke with Patrick Motorsports and they couldn't help. They didn't have a flywheel that would work with 951 with the 60-2 setup. They told me it was because its not a popular setup and most ppl went with a Clewett setup.
I used Link G4 and the sensor supplied by Chris White. 7000RPM, and 410whp and not one single problem with this setup. Just make sure you don't have the -2 teeth to close to TDC.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Over the years I have made hundreds of trigger setups, both onto crank pulley and to flywheel. Though why don't you just use stock 951 crank sensors? These work perfectly provided that the sensor wires are not messed up..
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reno, you could also try what I did. I found the issue wasnt so much the CW trigger mount or the wheel itself, it was also mounting it. I had crank trigger errors but no major runout, so I suspected MegaSquirt issues mostly and difficulty with the small teeth on the crank sized 60-2.

I bought a 36-1 wheel from http://goingsuperfast.com/Trigger-wheels.html

Then I got shoulder bolts from McMaster-Carr, part number 92981A196

The trigger wheel gets sandwiched between the crank gear and the pulley, the shoulder bolts are the same OD as the ID of the holes in the trigger wheel so it can't twist, and the wheel being sandwhiched between the gear and pulley should help stability.

Edit: Jeez, huge images. Look in this folder:

http://thedge.info/rennlist/cranktrigger/index.php
Old 04-30-2015, 03:05 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KSira
I used Link G4 and the sensor supplied by Chris White. 7000RPM, and 410whp and not one single problem with this setup. Just make sure you don't have the -2 teeth to close to TDC.
HMMMMMM No clue. Interesting. Perhaps we can share files? I would like to compare. i'll PM you my email

I could have set it up perfectly like you, but if the trigger wheel is wobbly then its no use.

I would still like to compare files as i am always willing to learn more about Link and see different setups.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What sensor is that and what is in the bags? Just went over to the Clewett site and see the four components but not the sensor and other stuff.
One bag I am guessing is mounting hardware you can see bolts in your pic.

Originally Posted by Voith
I have the same setup for my build, love the craftsmanship. Top notch product IMO.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:34 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Over the years I have made hundreds of trigger setups, both onto crank pulley and to flywheel. Though why don't you just use stock 951 crank sensors? These work perfectly provided that the sensor wires are not messed up..
I tried using the stock sensors but i was having no use. I had new sensors, new loom the works. My file worked on other ppl's similar setup. it was just "my car" i spoke to tons of ppl. I try to use other ppl's working files, NADA. As soon as i went to the 60-2 setup it was night and day. I can easily be missing something as i am no expert. Anything i should be looking out for? I still have the stock sensors installed and i can run the car with the stock sensors if the 60-2 sensor fails, i can't boost anything over 5psi because i have it governed. That is my get out of jail free card. I can easily swap files as long as i have my laptop with me.

Originally Posted by theedge
Reno, you could also try what I did. I found the issue wasnt so much the CW trigger mount or the wheel itself, it was also mounting it. I had crank trigger errors but no major runout, so I suspected MegaSquirt issues mostly and difficulty with the small teeth on the crank sized 60-2.

The trigger wheel gets sandwiched between the crank gear and the pulley, the shoulder bolts are the same OD as the ID of the holes in the trigger wheel so it can't twist, and the wheel being sandwhiched between the gear and pulley should help stability.

I wish i would have known. this is a good option. I just don't like how its a hassle every time you touch that rod...
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
What sensor is that and what is in the bags? Just went over to the Clewett site and see the four components but not the sensor and other stuff.
One bag I am guessing is mounting hardware you can see bolts in your pic.
the bag is the bolts for the setup. that looks like the sensor i have. Its either a mag or a hall sensor. its an electromotive sensor
Old 04-30-2015, 03:43 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theedge

Brian, the question I have about that setup is how you mounted the sensor? I have that wheel sitting on a shelf somewhere, I've been planning on machining my flywheel and putting in several more cap set screws to use the factory location, but that won't be either cheap or easy.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Right bag contains all needed bolts, other bag is this sensor and matching harness connector. (you can see rubber connector seals in the bag)

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...a307dad6c145f0

I will however use Haltech cherry hall sensor instead since I got it with Haltech setup.

Quick Reply: Finally back to a real 60-2 Trigger Setup