Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally back to a real 60-2 Trigger Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Brian, the question I have about that setup is how you mounted the sensor? I have that wheel sitting on a shelf somewhere, I've been planning on machining my flywheel and putting in several more cap set screws to use the factory location, but that won't be either cheap or easy.
prob something like this.... Let me know as i wont be using this mount no more.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Brian, the question I have about that setup is how you mounted the sensor? I have that wheel sitting on a shelf somewhere, I've been planning on machining my flywheel and putting in several more cap set screws to use the factory location, but that won't be either cheap or easy.
I used the Chris White mount. It worked differently for me since I had AC delete at the time.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:20 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

We used the Clewitt one for a while before going to the new fly, but Richard definitely did get his from Patrick Motorsports as it's in a thread on Reutterwerks.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Over the years I have made hundreds of trigger setups, both onto crank pulley and to flywheel. Though why don't you just use stock 951 crank sensors? These work perfectly provided that the sensor wires are not messed up..
This.

I run the stock sensor for speed and a cam sync sensor with my fully sequential Vi-PEC (same software as Link G4) set up from Pauertuning and never had a trigger issue. With the cal file that Vic supplied the engine started right away after installation although it was a non-stock 3l engine.

I find curious there aren't more folks around who seem to be able to use the stock sensors.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
This.

I run the stock sensor for speed and a cam sync sensor with my fully sequential Vi-PEC (same software as Link G4) set up from Pauertuning and never had a trigger issue. With the cal file that Vic supplied the engine started right away after installation although it was a non-stock 3l engine.

I find curious there aren't more folks around who seem to be able to use the stock sensors.
I wish i could. I am prob missing something. If i would i could. One day i will solve it.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

This.

So you are using the speed sensor -- i.e., the one over the 132-tooth wheel? I wonder if the cam sensor helps the ecu deal with missed pulses better? My Link system is quickly becoming an antique on the shelf, but if I ever put it to use it'll be interesting to see how my results compare.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

This.

Tried the stock sensor with cam trigger. Worked fine until 5800RPM, then it started misfiring. Spent some time trying to get it work with different settings. Could probably have made it work with a scope and some more fiddling, but rather than risking my engine with boost and ignition trouble, I installed a 60-2 setup. Worked perfectly and never had a issue.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Thom
Race Car

I can't say if the cam sensor helps with any possible trigger error but just that the engine always sparks crystal-clear up beyond 7k rpm, with no trigger errors on both sensors reported in the real time value window. I always see the green light.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used stock speed+ref sensors as crank sensors and cam sync as 3rd sensor, worked well with VEMS. With 132 teeth there would be issues trying to run just speed sensor and just cam sensor because cam is a bit sloppy and ECU has to calculate timing from cam sensor -> not recommended at all.
Cam sync should be used just as it is, cam sync. It means that it just shows ECU when to reset firing order ( can occur between any cylinder TDC, has 180 degree window on 4cyl engine).
Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Thom
Race Car

Well in my case and others who run the same sensor configuration it runs as well as it could get.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

The issue with using the 132 tooth ring gear in a sequential setup is that the teeth are very close together and the cam sync signal must occur in the "valley" between the teeth. If the sync falls on either the fallin or rising edge of the crank signal, there will be errrors.

60-2 wheels are a standard option and they are easy to set up. There is nothing wrong with using the factory reluctor sensor and 132 tooth ring gear for a crank signal. The only issue for aftermarket ECU users is that adjustment to the arming threshold needs to be set properly to ensure stable signal.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

As I explained earlier, factory trigger works perfectly if it is used as intended, meaning to interpret two crank sensors as missing tooth wheel by ECU and use separate 3rd sensor on the cam for cam sync. BTDT, never had a problem.
But I would never take timing from cam unless it is some normally aspirated car and budget is really tight or something..
Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Raceboy
As I explained earlier, factory trigger works perfectly if it is used as intended, meaning to interpret two crank sensors as missing tooth wheel by ECU and use separate 3rd sensor on the cam for cam sync. BTDT, never had a problem.
But I would never take timing from cam unless it is some normally aspirated car and budget is really tight or something..
I think I get your point but I would suggest trying a solution like Pauerman's to see for yourself that it can be made to work well too.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

I have tested many options during the development of the VEMS pnp system for 951 and while they work, I just chose to take advantage of the VEMS capability to accept three trigger inputs. Least amount of potential issues and always rock solid signals.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauerman
If the sync falls on either the fallin or rising edge of the crank signal, there will be errrors.
Given the shape of the teeth, the 132-tooth crank signal is always either rising or falling, so not sure what you mean? Do you mean errors occur if the trigger point for the cam signal coincides with the trigger point on the crank signal? If so, seems like that should be manageable with the right hardware/software (i.e., process the crank trigger first, and put the cam in a queue to be processed immediately after)?

Quick Reply: Finally back to a real 60-2 Trigger Setup