Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbo sizing suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 04:47 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo sizing suggestions

i've talked to a few people and a friend ran some numbers, i'm just trying to get a 2nd opinion on what turbo i should be looking for... to be frank, i don't know much on turbo sizing as my 951s have been my only turbocharged cars -- so any suggestions on where to learn more / what to read / how to research this would be appreciated.

i've got a 2.8L (stroker), big-valve lindsey stage 3 head, lindsey intake manifold, sfr 4:1 exhaust manifold, digital maf (might go tec3 or link/map), 3" cat-less exhaust (fabspeed), 73lb/hr injectors (although i can go bigger easily, as well as upgrade from a normal adj fpr to a new reail and sx regulator/pump/lines) - and i plan on getting an upgraded camshaft (something along the lines of JME's pht cs-19 or pht 8sr/s3-14 or maybe the next one up but i doubt it).

so what should i do turbo wise? tim @ sfr said a dual-ball-bearing stage2 60-1 would work well, i'd like to be at like 450-500rwhp.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:49 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

oh - i am currently running a kokeln street (it appears to be a turbonetics 50-trim t04 w/ a kkk hotside) at 18-20psi - it's darned quick, but not exactly "brutally fast" like i want
Old 08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are ready to sell it let me know!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:03 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

the kokeln street? i'm ready to sell it any day you want as the car is on jackstands waiting for my new wheels to arrive (ie, i'd prefer to do it now to avoid extra down time). PM me an offer -- or i'll take the FZR-600 in trade
Old 08-26-2003, 06:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing is that you will not be able to run the KKK hot side with one of the larger JME cams.

That puts you into a Garrett hot side.

I would recommend the same turbo I've got... with the "middle" JME cam (which I've also got). The bigger cams are not really street cams and they also need modified or solid lifters, and are really setup to run higher rpms.

Lastly, unless you have got Carillo or similar rods, I wouldn't be spinning that engine over 6500 rpms, which also means that you would want to go with a smaller than the "middle" JME cam.

60-1HI-FI with a .70a/r trim and a V trim wheel.

You engine would be perfect for this... it's a tad on the large side for my 2.5L, but it's worth it :-)
Old 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what should i do turbo wise? tim @ sfr said a dual-ball-bearing stage2 60-1 would work well, i'd like to be at like 450-500rwhp
I would have thought Tim might have suggested one of his full Garrett GT's to provide that kind of RWHP.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:21 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

tony - i'm going to swap the crossover pipe (it's just v-band clamped anyway) so that i can use a non-KKK hotside. the middle cam is probably the one i'll choose, thx for confirming that info. 60-1 w/ a 70 or 75 sounds about what i was thinking - what kind of power do you think that will yield at 1.3 -1.4 bar?

oh, and i've got pauter rods, mabye not as nice as carillo but i don't plan on going much if any over 7000 rpm anyway... right now my limiter is at 6500.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:22 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

The cam I would choose would be the middle JME cam. The peak HP is at about 6900 rpms, which is about right for you. Vacuum drops to 11". Still a pretty smooth idle. Anything bigger will be a mismatch for your engine. Also you can use stock lifters. You need to have race springs, and preferrably titanium retainers.

Get the JME head/cam and you won't have to run 1.3-1.4 bar :-) heeheheh

But with a ported turbo head you should make 400HP to the wheels.. maybe 425, but I doubt it unless you are running a lot of boost....

Also, based on how the turbo I have now works with my 2.5L I would say don't change a thing. Run that EXACT turbo. Like I said before... it's a tad large on the exhaust side for a 2.5L but would be exactly perfect for a 2.8L.

The Pauter rods are fine and you won't be going over 7000 rpms anyway.

I would recommend the biggest intercooler you can get.

I'm toying with the idea of running 2 996TT radiators in the front fender wells and replacing the radiator with a humungo intercooler.... I've just been waiting to see if I sell the car or not before I take it to the next step.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:57 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

good call tony - i've actually already got a rather large IC (lindsey stage 5), so it seems if i just got the turbo and cam i'd be all set (although i want to upgrade the whole fuel system, while i'm at it, what injectors should i use? are the 73 lb/hr ones big enough?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:09 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

dmoffitt

I'm using 72lb injectors at the stock fuel pressure and it's easily enough fuel to support 400rwhp and probably enough to go to 425rwhp or more, but I've not been there yet so I can't say for sure.

Get the larger fuel pump offered by Lindsey for $160 (that's what I run) at a minimum to support the fuel requirements.

You're probably Ok on the intercooler. Pressure readings before and after will tell you where you stand for sure though.

I'm still on a stock intercooler, which is a big restriction..... I'm just afraid to use a "temp" solution of an aftermarket intercooler in front of the radiator on hot days at the track.

Quick Reply: turbo sizing suggestions