Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR 3x oil cooler---is that an FC RX7 core??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LR 3x oil cooler---is that an FC RX7 core??

I don't know why it took me this long to think this, but I just realized that the lindsey racing 3x oil cooler looks like it uses an RX7 core. Does anyone know if this is true? FC stock coolers are pretty massive, 22.5" across or something very near approaching 2 feet, and I believe 8 row. They're highly valued for turbo projects on other cars, and commonly sell for ~100 bucks on ebay. I was thinking about picking one up and doing something cool with it by placing it above my FMIC, right where the stock intercooler would have sat under the badge panel. The FC cooler also appears to be a double pass unit.

I remember reading somewhere once that special fittings were needed to connect to the factory oil cooler lines, can anyone give me some info about this? Something about the underhead length not allowing normal 26x1.5 to -12 JIC or AN fittings to work, too short I'm guessing which causes the male fittings to bottom out before they seal on the taper? (the fittings on the oil cooler housing its self are 22x1.5 btw) Anyone ever just fabbed up basic hydraulic hoses using high pressure rubber line, barbed fittings, and Oetiker style clamps? >>>like this

I'd be installing this cooler with the engine in the car, so I'd like to try and avoid changing the fittings on the oil cooler housing its self since they're a REAL bitch to get off. That being said, I'd also like to try and reuse my stock lines since they're freshly rebuilt.

Edit: by the way, thought this was kind of a cool source for some harder to find fittings, so while I'm on the subject I thought I'd post this for everyone.

http://97.74.32.155/files/tfefit.pdf

Last edited by Dougs951S; 12-27-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I have Parker rubber hydraulic hose and metric hydraulic o ring fittings for my oil coolers. Crimped fittings. Used an off the shelf adapter fitting for the console iirc.

Lindsey piece isn't an Rx cooler, even if it's similar size cores are available in any size you want. Btw an undinged RX cooler is a rare thing from my observation, and I've sold all the good ones ive found.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I have Parker rubber hydraulic hose and metric hydraulic o ring fittings for my oil coolers. Crimped fittings. Used an off the shelf adapter fitting for the console iirc.

Lindsey piece isn't an Rx cooler, even if it's similar size cores are available in any size you want. Btw an undinged RX cooler is a rare thing from my observation, and I've sold all the good ones ive found.
Spencer, do you know off the top of your head if the factory oil line fittings at the console end are barbed fittings if you cut back the swagging? I'd assume they are, just like the factory fuel lines where instead of getting SS line, I did the same thing you did to fab new ones. My hamster wheel is turning...

Bet I could repurpose the original swagged fttings by slicing the hose off of them and leaving them in the cooler console on the block, then running clamped rubber lines over the barb fittings to my new cooler.

Anyone know the ID of the stock lines?

Last edited by Dougs951S; 12-27-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Or would a 22x1.5 to 12AN fitting like this work ok to connect to the factory cooler lines?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=OILC

This should fit in the factory intercooler space. I would never put a used oil cooler on anything. Especially if I dug it up in the junkyard. And most of us have to much $ tied up in the engine to get cheap. Please don't put a used cooler in.

Last edited by Tsmith84; 12-28-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tsmith84
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=OILC

This should fit in the factory intercooler space. I would never put a used pull cooler on anything. Especially if I dug it up in the junkyard. And most of us have to much $ tied up in the engine to get cheap. Please don't put a used cooler in.
Doug yes the fittings are barbed and reusable.

As for used parts... Both coolers on my car are bone yard specials and I've had no issues. I cleaned them out very well before using them. There is some very good stuff used as OEM equipment, in my case, I have two Setrab coolers identical to those sold by a major vendor, taken off a turbo Volvo for $18 each.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can be a very frugal person, but you CAN NOT adequately clean an oil cooler. You can roll the dice and get lucky, but please don't bet the farm.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Spencer, pics of your setup? Did not realize you were running dual coolers.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

coolers return flow before the filter so that should help with debris

don't have pics handy but the coolers are mounted in series next to eachother between the front frame rails, but none of my front frame is comparable to a factory 944.
looong hoses.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since this is about oil coolers for you car.

how about something like this? a 19row unit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13-x-5-5-...item41738577aa

Put it behind the intercooler with added ducting?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Just a note Paul, when looking at a cooler you want one with a few rows as possible for a given core size, this will have the least pressure drop though it will arguably not cool as well. I guess its sort of a give an take, but wanted to make that fact known. I WAS looking at this unit as well, as far as cheap coolers go. It has identical core size and frontal area as the one you linked but half as many rows. How much cooling do you lose by halfing the rows? Who knows?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251734044392?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

How much of a pressure drop are we looking at? the Lr one is quite a large unit, but the one in my link has a larger cooling area but it's a thinner over all unit.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the better it cools, the more the oil will thicken, which will increase your pressure. So I wouldn't worry about a pressure drop.

You can change the fittings in the car. It is a bear. But, take a couple of modified tools. Box end is a 1-1/4", a 32mm would probably be the same, just harder to find.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Keep in mind that the better it cools, the more the oil will thicken, which will increase your pressure. So I wouldn't worry about a pressure drop.

You can change the fittings in the car. It is a bear. But, take a couple of modified tools. Box end is a 1-1/4", a 32mm would probably be the same, just harder to find.
I was thinking the same thing but no experience with oil cooling ect.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Just a note Paul, when looking at a cooler you want one with a few rows as possible for a given core size, this will have the least pressure drop though it will arguably not cool as well. I guess its sort of a give an take, but wanted to make that fact known. I WAS looking at this unit as well, as far as cheap coolers go. It has identical core size and frontal area as the one you linked but half as many rows. How much cooling do you lose by halfing the rows? Who knows?
more rows is generally better for cooling than longer, fewer rows.
pressure drop isn't so important to worry about when the gauge reads 60+psi at 3000 rpm. 1-3psi drop won't really affect anything, but cooler oil will.

Quick Reply: LR 3x oil cooler---is that an FC RX7 core??