Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR 3x oil cooler---is that an FC RX7 core??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cooler I linked above is larger than the ebay one, and will fit in the space.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good points everyone, keep the discussion going. You are right Spencer and Harry, a few psi drop is a lot less of a big deal than cooling the oil down.

Harry I know it IS possible to change the fittings on the car and I have 27mm and 32mm stubby wrenches to make it possible, but I think I'm going to remove my stock lines instead and cut back the swagging, then use high pressure hydraulic clamps and rubber hose over the factory hose barbs. That should be perfectly fine for the ~75 psi they might see. I just need to find out the ID of the factory lines. Only detail I havnt figured out yet is how I'm going to attach the rubber lines to the 10 AN fittings on the cooler. Any ideas?

Tsmith, I probably am going to go with the cooler you linked, its a nice unit and I found it for 25% off!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

When I get back to the shop from lunch, I will measure the opening in my parts car. My intercooler and header panel is off so it will be easy. I measured the stock intercooler for someone else the other day so I am going off those dimensions.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

my hydraulic fittings have started leaking in the last few months, but no real room to work on them.
i am considering replacing them with regular banjo fittings as there will be more space to work on those, could even use a socket.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
my hydraulic fittings have started leaking in the last few months, but no real room to work on them.
i am considering replacing them with regular banjo fittings as there will be more space to work on those, could even use a socket.
Are they leaking at the crimps?

check this out, they have tons of metric banjo fittings. They dont list larger sizes but they do list the matching hollow bolts so I'd bet they have them if you gave them a call. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...s%2Ftfefit.pdf
Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

The cooler I linked, has an overall Size: 22x5.5x2.5 inch and Core Size: 17.5x5.5x2.5 inch. I just measured the car and it should work very well. Even the factory duct opening measures 17 3/8 by 5 1/4, but will need some added to it to run right up against the cooler. It looks like the mounting tabs on the cooler may even bolt up to the existing holes for the intercooler mount, which are spaced at 21".
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Are they leaking at the crimps?

check this out, they have tons of metric banjo fittings. They dont list larger sizes but they do list the matching hollow bolts so I'd bet they have them if you gave them a call. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...s%2Ftfefit.pdf
Thanks for the referral.

I'm not sure yet if the fittings themselves are leaking (either loose, or their internal o-rings maybe failing) or the crimps (one hose is routed such that it could put strain on the crimp) but until it gets to be a big leak I'm frankly going to leave it alone.

I don't have the time or facilities here in LA to mess with it. I'd almost prefer to pull the engine out to do oil console work...until it has banjos.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Just a note Paul, when looking at a cooler you want one with a few rows as possible for a given core size, this will have the least pressure drop though it will arguably not cool as well. I guess its sort of a give an take, but wanted to make that fact known. I WAS looking at this unit as well, as far as cheap coolers go. It has identical core size and frontal area as the one you linked but half as many rows. How much cooling do you lose by halfing the rows? Who knows?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251734044392...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Your thought process doesn't make sense according to fluid dynamics. You have it backwards. Say you have a core 6ft long x 1 ft tall with a single row. The oil is going to be pretty cool by the time it reaches the end of the 6ft run however pressure drop will be huge forcing all of that oil through a single long skinny run.

Change that core to one 1ft long x 6ft tall and run 6 rows through it. The oil may not be quite as cool since it has only run through 1ft of the cooler depending on the rate of flow however the pressure drop will be very low since you have divided the oil into 6 separate paths.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by s14kev
Your thought process doesn't make sense according to fluid dynamics. You have it backwards. Say you have a core 6ft long x 1 ft tall with a single row. The oil is going to be pretty cool by the time it reaches the end of the 6ft run however pressure drop will be huge forcing all of that oil through a single long skinny run.

Change that core to one 1ft long x 6ft tall and run 6 rows through it. The oil may not be quite as cool since it has only run through 1ft of the cooler depending on the rate of flow however the pressure drop will be very low since you have divided the oil into 6 separate paths.
You are right, in the scenario you described, but I am also right when talking about two coolers of identical dimensions but one with a large number of narrow rows vs a small number of larger oil passageways.

Pretty irrelevant thought since the two coolers Paul and I were talking about, though having basically identical volume and frontal surface area, have different dimensions and the one I listed would indeed cool better, though at the expense of a larger pressure drop.

Quick Reply: LR 3x oil cooler---is that an FC RX7 core??