Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.3L Hybrid Stroker Engine Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Feather
How do you guys feel this set up would perform utilizing a 2.7 head.

I feel the displacement may be reaching the upper efficiency of the head, would 3.3 be overkill?

Again, I had a long reply typed out and hit the back button on my phone..ugh.

I think it's a perfect setup regardless of head. You're still maximizing the limited rpm range of this engine.

With a small amount of work, you could improve the head.

Just look at Shawn s torque curve and then add at least 10% and even go further with a smaller turbo (if you just want 450ish hp)

I could see 500lb ft from 4k.

We will find out soon enough since a couple are getting close. I may even change the crank in mine.

Btw, regarding non interference. Piston selection and the added bore help with this. Of course they should be clay checked.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Again, I had a long reply typed out and hit the back button on my phone..ugh.

I think it's a perfect setup regardless of head. You're still maximizing the limited rpm range of this engine.

With a small amount of work, you could improve the head.

Just look at Shawn s torque curve and then add at least 10% and even go further with a smaller turbo (if you just want 450ish hp)

I could see 500lb ft from 4k.

We will find out soon enough since a couple are getting close. I may even change the crank in mine.

Btw, regarding non interference. Piston selection and the added bore help with this. Of course they should be clay checked.
Thanks Sid, I know you have kind of been an advocate of this setup, surprised you haven't gone here already. I am sure people will be further along with this than I am, so I will be watching closely.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an offset grind crank available if someone is interested. Was used on a 3.2 liter 16 valve setup.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Hey Wil,
Great thread indeed! I finished my 2.6 build last year and anxiously waiting to do my next build. Ill be slowly collecting parts for a build similar to yours.

Have you contacted John at Circle performance in Berkley MA? He did the machine work for my current build and does do sleeve work. Nice guy and very familiar with 944/951 motors.

http://larryspower.com/engine/1-Porsche.html This is in CT and I have never used them but it appears that they have done sleeves in the 944 block. Might be worth a conversation with them??

I'm local to you, Norwood, so feel free to let me know if you need a hand!

TED
Old 11-20-2014, 11:14 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Mi
Thanks Sid, I know you have kind of been an advocate of this setup, surprised you haven't gone here already. I am sure people will be further along with this than I am, so I will be watching closely.
I haven't went to the longer stroke because the car already does

Porsche 944 street drags.:

And I don't want it to keep doing this:

Last edited by blown 944; 11-20-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I am still getting used to my phone so I'm having a hard time with replying. I'll edit in a few
Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy952
Hey Wil,
Great thread indeed! I finished my 2.6 build last year and anxiously waiting to do my next build. Ill be slowly collecting parts for a build similar to yours.

Have you contacted John at Circle performance in Berkley MA? He did the machine work for my current build and does do sleeve work. Nice guy and very familiar with 944/951 motors.

http://larryspower.com/engine/1-Porsche.html This is in CT and I have never used them but it appears that they have done sleeves in the 944 block. Might be worth a conversation with them??

TED
+1 on Jon Andruk from Circle Performance. He is the one who build the engine the crank is available from. Top notch and really knows his stuff.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Teddy952
Hey Wil,

TED
Ted, thanks for the lead. Everything out my way is more small time machine shops who don't have quite the level of experience that would instill confidence in me.

Would love to meet up some time, I work in Natick and have friends and Walpole/Norwood!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blown 944
Mi

I haven't went to the longer stroke because the car already does

Porsche 944 street drags

And I don't want it to keep doing this:
Video link didn't work Sid, but I follow you on Facebook and have seen plenty of videos. Your car seems very consistent, definitely a build to look up too!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
+1 on Jon Andruk from Circle Performance. He is the one who build the engine the crank is available from. Top notch and really knows his stuff.
Thanks for the offer, but unless you are just about giving the crank away, it will probably be cheaper for me to modify my own crank. (Considering how cheap I got the S2 motor)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
What happened to that motor and why is the crank out of it and for sale?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Video link didn't work Sid, but I follow you on Facebook and have seen plenty of videos. Your car seems very consistent, definitely a build to look up too!

Yeah, I'll have to fix it later. But, you probably seen my 100 mph john force video.

Point is, I don't need any more torque.

However, my car is on the extreme end. If I were doing a driver the long stroke is the only way I'd go.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Guys, awesome recommendation on Circle performance. Site is hard to navigate but I am seeing a lot of 944 related work. Thanks for the information, probably would not of found him on my own!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

2V head: cheap and easy; clearly reasonable power.
4V head: more of a challenge, but way more power and takes you beyond 70's technology. What's missing in the 2V approach is top end power! Ever ride a 4V sport bike and take it to redline? OMG.

If you don't do it now, you'll probably do it later.

Why worry about non-interference?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Guys, awesome recommendation on Circle performance. Site is hard to navigate but I am seeing a lot of 944 related work. Thanks for the information, probably would not of found him on my own!

Circle recently moved from Brockton to Berkley. Shortly after that I noticed that their webpage changed. The page appears to only have Jon's contact info now?

Meeting up is cool by me!
You still driving your 951 or is it asleep for winter? I have to replace a ball joint on mine otherwise Id be driving it. Once the salt hits the ground Ill put her in hibernation.

Quick Reply: 3.3L Hybrid Stroker Engine Dimensions