Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

M tune or Vitesse ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default M tune or Vitesse ?

My AFM is playing up, among some other issues, so I was forced to decide whether to go MAF or spend on a refurb AFM.

I decided staright away MAF made a lot more sense and I also decided M tune was natural option(I already have A tune and Rogue ECU) but just as my issues started was also when Josh was greated with his newborn and so understandably has been focusing on that and his new job.

The problem I have is all the M tunes that have come up for sale privately have sold in seconds, so I have not been able to buy one that way, and my car is off the road till I get this fixed. I would love to wait till they become available again but as I have no idea how long that will be, I have decided I need to at least consider other options. I have looked at the Vitesse MAF set up but I am not sure about setting it up. How have others using it found set up and how it performs ?

I see Lindsey also have a MAF but it doesn't seem to be as plug and play as M tune or Vitesse.

Are there any other options ?
TIA for any feedback.

Last edited by Cyberpunky; 10-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Vitesse stuff on a few cars and I have to tell you I could not be happier with the way the car ran/performed/everything.

With the 86 DME I think you need to have that converted to 28 pin or pick up a later DME also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either setup.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to louis. Some times he gets them. Or speak with sean buchanan

Have you tested the AFM for voltage consistency? clean the internals with contact cleaner.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I have the Rogue DME already so it is 28 pin unit.

Was it hard t set up the Vitesse ?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Pauly, Spencer has been over it and adjusted it and car ran fine for about 45 minutes and it may not be the issue but I just don't trust it anymore.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Have you tried a replacement one? I would want to sort the issue before spending the money on a MAF incase the issue is still there. then you've wasted more money. Because if you get the M-tune, joshua usually gives a discount for for A-Tune users.

I know you've posted it before but explain exactly what it's doing and list everything you've done to try fix this.

Then ill think what else it could possibly be.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

as far as wiring goes. This is what i know.

Injector harness bad = car shutting off when wires touch (will stay off. Won't turn on if still touching will only just crank over). or miss fire if wire broken at no specific time.

TPS harness = rpm raises on idle. can cause funny things. unplug and drive. you'll see the difference. On rogue tuning i dont think the TPS sensor is actually used for fuel and timing any more.

AFM harness. depending on what wire, car will drive if it's only temp sensor. If other wire, will not accelerate at all.

speed and reference sensors and loom = car will stumble at no given time. sometimes on cornering. will just run like crap.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

This is going to get ugly.

My vote: M-Tune. Aside from the nickel-and-diming that you'll get going Vitesse (everything is extra $$$... injectors, connectors, etc), you won't need to hack up your harness to install goofy resistors for the injectors. Rogue also offers the tuner and logger - easy to set up and use, and incredibly helpful in troubleshooting issues.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

With Vitesse you can use either 24 or 28 pin DME. No need to modify your 24 pin DME to make it 28.

You get 6 images (or chips) as part of the std. Kit. All 6 images , covering various octane and fuel types are covered. All loaded on a single chipboard for you to select.

Injectors must be purchased. No one offers them for free.
we do offer injectors that do not require resistors.

Take a look at our FAQ and MAF page lots of information of what's included. Examine the features list.
While at it, take a look at the Motronic Monitor/ logger. As well as V-Knock. A couple of items you may consider.

As far as setup, you have to install the MAF and the MAP sensors. Set and forget.

Good luck with your decision. Drop me a note if you have any questions.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM
kem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing you need to factor in, the M-Tune is currently unavailable.

From their site:
"For the moment, I am not taking any new orders, except for the items I can carry out quickly.

That said, I've been working with a couple very well known 944/951 vendors towards a much more robust and responsive solution for customers (both new and old). I have no plans on going anywhere, and even aquired another 951 project-car for when things settle down.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during these changes.
-Joshua"
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the Vitesse MAF, chipboard, V-Knock, 83 lb/hr injectors, and Piggy Back. When installed, the tuning was pretty much spot on. Little to no trimming required with the piggy back. Great customer service. Only good things to say about John Vitesse's products and service.

Steve
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

While I have found it hard to get info having bought my Vitesse MAF kit second hand, it has been installed for years with no complaints. The car runs well in all conditions, though I would love to know what maps are what on my chipboard, as I don't think I selected the prime map for 93 octane and higher boost and have no way of telling which is which.. that said it completely transformed the car, though I was coming from a Huntley Racing MAF "kit", complete with the ARC-2.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have always had great luck with John's stuff @ Vitesse. Bolt on and go
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with either, but I wouldn't use any other options.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the vitesse system on one of my cars and can say it idled like a lexus. I have stand alone on my car now only because thats what the builder uses.
Also, Jon vitesse had the best customer service i ever experienced.

Quick Reply: M tune or Vitesse ?