Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Manual boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:43 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mdj577
blade- Here's a naive question: How do you know what boost pressure you are at with a manual controller? What are the risks of too much or to little depending on outside temp.

Thanks
I'm not sure what you are asking ? You use a boost gauge to determine what boost you are running. Years ago I ran a different car to the ragged edge of detonation, it would happily run 10lbs boost on a cool day but on a hot day it detonated at the same boost.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
I'm not sure what you are asking ? You use a boost gauge to determine what boost you are running. Years ago I ran a different car to the ragged edge of detonation, it would happily run 10lbs boost on a cool day but on a hot day it detonated at the same boost.

Yes, neglected to get the gauge. Meaning to ask: what is a "safe" range of boost. Don't want to do any damage.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to visit a dyno shop or get a wide band 02 sensor to find a "safe" range. I added similar items and kept putting off doing the right things and it cost me an engine.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is mine mounted by the cruise control servo.

Attachment 1360669
Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My MBC use to sit next to the banjo bolt on the Ic pipe. set it once and leave it.

The EBC on the other hand is a different story.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Mine is presently in the cockpit....but I'm installing a new radio....took the non-working reno out and installed the plate with the wide band controller. Right now I'm running 15 PSI on a semi-complete tune (runs rich) and it's pretty much all the power I need for the street. I don't really see how I need to have easy access to it. It seems to actually run a little better on 85F degree days vs. 60F degree days.

I have a new plate where the radio was with the digital WB readout.....I want to move that plate to the bottom, move the boost gage to it and probably put the controller in the engine compartment.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it under the hood also.Keeps me from fiddling with it if I have a weak moment or want to show off for somebody on "how fast this thing goes in 1st,2nd,and 3rd kind of mood"

I also love the empty spot below the radio for phone,wallet,shades,etc.I have the pillar pod from Lindsey thats holds my digital boost guage and afr guage.At first I was worried it was going to be too ricer but man is it ever handy on the track when trying to make sure everything stays in check.No intrusion into sight line at all,and no bother at night either. Don't mean to go off on a guage thread,just thought I would mention it because a fair number of people put a guage and the mbc in that empty space.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Mine is presently in the cockpit....but I'm installing a new radio....took the non-working reno out and installed the plate with the wide band controller. Right now I'm running 15 PSI on a semi-complete tune (runs rich) and it's pretty much all the power I need for the street. I don't really see how I need to have easy access to it. It seems to actually run a little better on 85F degree days vs. 60F degree days.

I have a new plate where the radio was with the digital WB readout.....I want to move that plate to the bottom, move the boost gage to it and probably put the controller in the engine compartment.

Thanks Paul. I remember your car, and your set-up looks great. I am leaning towards putting the controller under the hood. Now in a dilema about where to put the gauge. I really like the appearance of the stock interior. I don't want to go down the slippery slope of over modding the interior.

So, anyone have a particularly "nice" spot to mount the gauge? All pictures welcome and appreciated.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goatfarmerdave
I have it under the hood also.Keeps me from fiddling with it if I have a weak moment or want to show off for somebody on "how fast this thing goes in 1st,2nd,and 3rd kind of mood"

I also love the empty spot below the radio for phone,wallet,shades,etc.I have the pillar pod from Lindsey thats holds my digital boost guage and afr guage.At first I was worried it was going to be too ricer but man is it ever handy on the track when trying to make sure everything stays in check.No intrusion into sight line at all,and no bother at night either. Don't mean to go off on a guage thread,just thought I would mention it because a fair number of people put a guage and the mbc in that empty space.

No mind at all. Your input is certainly appreciated. You can see from Paul's pic ^^^ that if done well that space under the radio is perfectly fine. I am just reluctant to do it. But I see what you mean by having a good monitor on things. I just can't seem to be able to commit to a location.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekoz
You need to visit a dyno shop or get a wide band 02 sensor to find a "safe" range. I added similar items and kept putting off doing the right things and it cost me an engine.

If you don't mind could you tell me more about this. What happened. I assumed that it would have been worked out by various people with experience with these engines as to what is a safe "range" of boost pressure. I guess this is highly dependent on the individual engine and its particular components. Any help/advice is appreciated. I currently know next to nothing about these things.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:01 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy one of these and drill it out to fit the boost gauge, its a direct replacement for the stock pocket. It retains a pocket and adds the gauge and looks stock after install

Attachment 874659

Only pic I had
Attachment 874658

Last edited by mahoney944; 03-22-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Buy one of these and drill it out to fit the boost gauge, its a direct replacement for the stock pocket. It retains a pocket and adds the gauge and looks stock after install

Attachment 874659

Only pic I had
Attachment 874658

That does look very nice, and clean. Do you have a part number? Where is it from?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdj577

That does look very nice, and clean. Do you have a part number? Where is it from?
Its a 968 clock console. It fits in a 944 turbo perfectly
Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 PM
slowcorrado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixline
Here is mine mounted by the cruise control servo.
I really like this setup Sixline, which MBC is that, and is it a modified bracket that came with the MBC, or a full custom one.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Mahoney, if you have the clock that used to be in that 968 console, can I have it?

I briefly used one of those cheap ebay MBCs, and I had it zip-tied to the intake runner. After the new engine is ready (no, the MBC did not blow up the engine...) I'll build a better MBC and mount it near the cruise control unit.

Quick Reply: Manual boost controller