Manual boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Mine doesnt vary that much maybe 1 psi. From one extreme to the other
Nice. I wish mine didn't change so much with the weather.

Last week Monday it was in the upper 70s/low 80s. Car was making ~13-13.5 at peak. Saturday, early afternoon on the track, it was in the upper 40s, and I was hitting close to 16. Turned the **** down a bit to get it down to ~14.5 for the rest of the weekend.

Though a basic EBC will have the same issues.... need to get a fancy ($$$) one to compensate for weather conditions.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we're talking MBCs how are you guys routing them?
I originally had mine right off the intake and it was nice. Power came on HARD once you started nearing 3000rpm (50 trim turbo).
But I noticed that this power also came with the price of a boost spike to 20psi, maybe a little more. In cold weather without playing with the MBC a lot it resulted in overboost protection kicking in occasionally. Out of fear of breaking something I routed the wastegate signal off to a pre-throttlebody location and now the car feels like a pig until I'm well into the rev range.

Are some of you using the intake for your signal or is everyone moving to an EBC when they want that response?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reimu
Since we're talking MBCs how are you guys routing them?
I originally had mine right off the intake and it was nice. Power came on HARD once you started nearing 3000rpm (50 trim turbo).
But I noticed that this power also came with the price of a boost spike to 20psi, maybe a little more. In cold weather without playing with the MBC a lot it resulted in overboost protection kicking in occasionally. Out of fear of breaking something I routed the wastegate signal off to a pre-throttlebody location and now the car feels like a pig until I'm well into the rev range.

Are some of you using the intake for your signal or is everyone moving to an EBC when they want that response?
Mines right off the hard pipe, and mine doesn't spike, a spike might mean a bad wastegate diaphragm or another issue, if its a drastic spike
Old 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
I agree and disagree if that's possible lol. While fine tuning is important, you won't have any issue running 16 to maybe 17 psi with the things you purchased. The real issue in raising the boost is that the stock turbo and exhaust cant accommodate the changes. The stock turbo literally starts cutting its own shaft with its bearings like its being turned on a lathe when its pushing 19 or more psi. They aren't designed to spin that fast, they are little turbos. When you do spin them that fast you'll love it for a month until the turbo shaft splits in two and the exhaust turbine lodges into the down pipe and the cold side compressor shoots metal scraps into the engine as it grinds to a stop, all while oil pours into the exhaust and coolant blows everywhere. If the turbo destruction doesn't break the engine, the complete loss of fluids probably will. If you want higher boost set it at 16 and enjoy it. If you want more, then turbo, exhaust, injector, wastegate upgrades and Afr is needed for a proper setup

This makes a lot of sense. I think to be safe I will take your advice and try not to run higher than 16. I am seeing a major problem in owning a 951. This car seems to be full of very expensive potential. I knew that going in. I read these boards for about 3mos. prior to purchasing. But that didn't mitigate this oncoming addiction.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdj577

This makes a lot of sense. I think to be safe I will take your advice and try not to run higher than 16. I am seeing a major problem in owning a 951. This car seems to be full of very expensive potential. I knew that going in. I read these boards for about 3mos. prior to purchasing. But that didn't mitigate this oncoming addiction.
Its a sickness lol

Quick Reply: Manual boost controller