Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Introduction - Bought a 87 Turbo last week!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014 | 12:22 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Introduction - Bought a 87 Turbo last week!

Some of you might of seen my post over in the 968 forum, I bought a 968 a little more than a year ago and absolutely love it! So now I'm always searching craigslist for a 968 and I came across an ad for a 87 turbo that was a "non-running car". Emailed and left the guy a message, but he never called back. Got over it.

20 or so days later, he gets back to me, I look at the car, and buy it last weekend. It's now in my possession. It's absolutely gorgeous, pristine in almost every way, a museum piece.

I'm still trying to figure out everything it has on it, but here is a partial list:
  • Split Second Blow through MAF and PSC1-0004 Programmable Signal Calibrator AFM to MAF
  • SFR Stage 1 header, ceramic coated
  • SFR 3 Inch downpipe, ceramic coated
  • SFR 3 Inch Cat back exhaust
  • Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi ball bearing turbo
  • 86lb Injectors
  • 3 bar fuel pressure regulator
  • High volume fuel pump
  • Tial 38mm Wastegate
  • Lindsey Racing Single Stage boost controller
  • Lindsay Racing stage 2 intercooler
  • New MSD 6AL BTM ignition box
  • New MSD blaster coil
  • Clutch w/930 disc
  • New Lightened flywheel
  • New engine mounts
  • Koni adjustable shocks and struts
  • MO30 sway bars
  • KLA Strut brace
  • KLA Monoball Strut mount
  • 968 MO30 adjustable sway bars
  • New brake discs and pads
  • Nissan Quest alternator (smaller)
  • Moda R6 18in wheels (perfect)
All of those items are brand new. There really wasn't any expense spared. I picked up the spare parts before I picked up the car, they filled my panel van!

It was never tuned after having everything installed (engine was removed), but it starts right up, drives, but needs everything tweaked to get it running safely under boost.

The alternator needs the modification to get it running inline with the existing pulleys, I plan to do that this weekend. I'm going to see what other controls for fueling it has, there is a small switch that electrically changes the boost program on a ribbon cable, have to see where that goes.

I have an appointment to get it tuned in a few weeks.

If anybody is interested in the wheels, I'm going to change them out for maybe some Cup I wheels, so they are for sale. They are pristine, no damage whatsoever, no brake dust anywhere on them, tires like new, but old in age.

I have a bunch more pictures here if you want to click the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...rbo-today.html

And even more here:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/lrqc/msgs/87501.phtml

If you want to know how much I paid.....let's say I stole it! I paid less than I paid for my 968 a year ago that has 160K miles, this car has 79K miles and makes my 968 look like a piece of junk, which it isn't.

I plan to keep both for a while, if not longer. I think the turbo will turn into the special weekend car.

Looking forward to get to know everyone!

Paul
Old 08-15-2014 | 12:50 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

that car could sell for at least 7-9k in socal anywhere else probably more, nice buy
Old 08-15-2014 | 12:57 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

What a find! Nice!
Old 08-15-2014 | 01:11 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

The previous owner just emailed me back and informed me that it has a Maxhpkit chip in it....now to research that....
Old 08-15-2014 | 02:31 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 659 Posts

nicely set up car - going to be sweet when you tune it and get it running right. why can't i find things like this?? ;-) i wish my 951 had many of those parts. good luck and welcome to the 'slippery slope' group.
Old 08-15-2014 | 03:13 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great find!

The MaxHP chips are for a very specific stock turbo, stock injectors and a 3Bar FPR, and to my knowledge were always made for use with AFM's. Did the PO intend to eventually install a standalone ECU to support these mods? Maybe that's where they hit a wall, that's a much bigger jump than installing a few external mods... If that kind of thing is not for you, you might want to contact Vitesse with the specs and have him send you his MAF and chipboard designed for your setup.
Old 08-15-2014 | 03:18 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure exactly about the set up...but it does have the piggyback splitsecond that can change the AF ratios.....going to do some research in the next week.
Old 08-15-2014 | 03:20 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice score! The PO put a lot of money in to it! Why did he let it go? Lost interest?
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:08 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Here was the PO's craigslist ad and it doesn't cover everything he did or the MASSIVE amount of spare parts (including a brand new turbo) that came with the car:

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (under 80k miles) Red with Black leather interior. Car has a rare extended leather interior with leather lower dash and leather door panels. The interior is fantastic and zero dash cracks.

Mechanically the vehicle was a project I started and lost the desire to continue any further. These are all of the new parts which are on the car and have less than 500 miles on them:
Speed Force Racing (SFR) Blow through MAF ($1500)
SFR Stage 1 header, ceramic coated ($1200)
SFR 3 Inch downpipe, ceramic coated ($375)
SFR 3 Inch Cat bypass pipe (also have slip in cat) ($639 for bypass, $379 for cat)
SFR 3 Inch Cat back exhaust (also have a straight pipe w/o muffler) ($699 for cat back, $500 for pipe w/o muffler)
New Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi ball bearing turbo ($1200)
New 86lb Injectors
New 3 bar fuel pressure regulator
New Braided fuel lines
New High volume fuel pump
New fuel filter
Tial 38mm Wastegate
New Lindsay Racing stage 2 intercooler ($600)
New MSD 6AL BTM ignition box
New MSD blaster coil
New Clutch w/930 disc ($850)
New Lightened flywheel ($400)
New engine mounts
Koni adjustable shocks and struts
MO30 sway bars
KLA Strut brace
KLA Monoball Strut mount
968 MO30 adjustable sway bars
New brake discs and pads
Nissan Quest alternator (smaller)
Moda R6 18in wheels (perfect)
And many other parts and nuts and bolts which have been replaced that I can't list in one post.

I also have:
a full set of shop manuals
LC-1 Wide band air/fuel gauge not installed AC delete bracket factory phone dial wheels (need refinishing) Many of the factory parts which were taken off including the turbo, the exhaust system (excluding the header which was cracked) and many other parts which would go with the car.

The car has been kept in my insulated garage and covered for 13+ years. I got the car out of Florida and it has never been driven in rain since I have owned it. The car needs a good home where someone will finish it and enjoy it. It is a great car and there is WAY more in parts than I am asking for the price of the car. Currently the car is not running, but wouldn't take much to get it going. Have a clean title in hand.

I forgot to mention to you that the motor mounts were also replaced when the engine was taken out.

The spare turbo was a Garret T04-B I believe. I bought it so long ago, I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

-------------------------end ad-----------------------

He has an 07 911 GT3 and had a Corvette Z06 that he put a lot of money into, was stupid fast, he did a lot of engine mods. He was sad to let it go, but was moving to CA.

On the bright side, I called Max HP Kit....didn't even leave a message and Russell Berry called me back in about an hour as I was preparing an email.

The car has a multi-board installed with up to 8 maps, he said to send him an email and he will get back to me with what he sold the previous owner. He did tell me that number 7 was "no start", number 6 was "valet", it sets the rev limiter to 3K RPM....etc.

The split second piggy back is what is used to convert the AFM to MAF readings and to fine tune it on the dyno. I bought the serial to USB cable today along with the software from split second....they already shipped it!

Wow, that's what I call service!
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:09 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Edited because it double posted.

Last edited by Paul Waterloo; 08-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:10 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

BTW, if anybody wants a factory Porsche AC delete bracket, with belt and four mounting bolts, it's yours for $100 shipped.
Old 08-15-2014 | 05:25 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. I saw your post on QW.
Old 08-15-2014 | 06:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Cool! Looks like you've got quite the project on your hands! At least you're starting with a car that's super clean.

Nice to see another Chicago 944 here on RL. Not many of us around it seems. (I have the same screenname on QW though I hardly post over there).
Old 08-15-2014 | 06:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wait - are you the guy with the A8 that's sorta been "converted" to mostly S8 specs? Used to AX a lot? We may have met years ago at an ACCCC auto-X, back when I had my old GTI.
Old 08-15-2014 | 07:52 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

That was me.

Quick Reply: Introduction - Bought a 87 Turbo last week!