Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil temperature troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil temperature troubleshooting

Where would one start to investigate higher (relatively) oil temperatures on a 951? I'm within spec, but it seems the oil is getting hotter than is normal (even for summer). I'm getting up to 230 with moderately vigorous driving. Just want to check everything over. Are there vents on the oil cooler that should be cleaned, and etc?

EDIT: Seems to be solved, see final post

Last edited by raleighBahn; 02-08-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The cooler is on the passenger side. Check the opening in the bumper to check its free of leaves or other debris. Also using compressed air to 'back flush' the core of the cooler is helpful.

Unless its heavily fouled, i think you might have an issue with the thermostat inside of the oil filter housing.

Where are you taking temps from?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Thanks for the advice. I have an oil temperature gauge thatnis tapped in the oil pan drain plug. Gauge has been there a long time. Temps are higher than I'm used to seeing from it.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are quite high, assuming this is just driving on the street. You might consider checking the sending unit on the drainplug, itself. I would also do a used oil analysis to make sure you don't have some damage. If you've got some bottom end issue, it will be making a lot more heat. You will definitely be better off finding it that way than by having the engine let go.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Normal driving currently getting to 210 or so in traffic, mid 190 on freeway, spirited driving to 225. Was getting upwards of 230 driving in the mountains this weekend.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:54 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Make sure that the shroud around the oil cooler is sealed tightly to the perimeter of the cooler. This will force the ambient air through the cooler fins instead of allowing it to pass around the cooler. Also, the cooler will work better if all the engine covers and batwing are installed.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Thank you - will check all of this shortly!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:28 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

My oil temps are completely back down to normal after replacing my stock exhaust and original cat with full fabspeed + sport cat. My gas mileage appears to have improved and car very responsive now. I'm going to autopsy the old exhaust, suspect that the original cat is blocked.

Original symptoms: Over the past year, noticed that my average oil temperatures were climbing well past what used to be baseline. Water temperature was always normal (my car runs nice and cool water temps), so problem un-observable without my oil temp gauge. Fuel efficiency began to drop, not hitting 11 psi boost until higher RPMs. All normal baselines are restored with new exhaust system + sport cat.

Quick Reply: oil temperature troubleshooting