Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

INTAKES: What do you run or are building?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great results to a trying day, extra congrats on the HG fix.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
It ran successfully for many years in SCCA, PCA and NASA racing without a failure. The dump valve couldn't stay closed because the spring was too weak in it. it was no where near the surge line.

No gasket failures. Sorry but you are wrong here.
Some guy posted on here a while ago a dyno chart from a ~2.6 8V JME engine tested on his engine bench, at 1.4 bar it made about 480 crank hp if I remember correctly, so if it takes a barrel intake, whichever of his cam profile and any of his other go-fast mods to get to that reliable level of power, there is no way anyone is going to get anywhere near 500rwhp on a 2.5 8V running the stock cam and intake.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well a long day with very little tracktime but in the end still a good result.

So Paul went out in the 1st morning practice session. Did a PB and broke (his own) club lap record with a 55.2 on this short and twisty layout. Unfortunately the practice times don't count. They're only used to sort cars out in their speed groups. Then it was my turn for practice. Went out and thought "So I wonder how progressive this new intake and boost by throttle position will be" Floor it up the hill...hmm...it's really progressive...there's no boost. So I come straight back into pits hoping that it's an I/C coupler come off. Nope, what we feared in the rush to make the intake. A weld had opened due to the plenum opening and closing like some lungs and we didn't have enough time to weld in the supports. We were working off a bit of hope. So I thought our Porsche Club Sprint title is now in the toilet, but Paul pulled the intake off and drove back the hour + to his workshop and welded in three supports in the plenum and drove back again through Saturday traffic. Took some time and this while he's down with a 3 week virus. He gets back and straps the intake back on and quickly gets back into his race gear to go out and do a 56 flat in the heat of the day coughing profusely in his helmet. Enough to win again and keep us on track for the title!

By the time I went out it was warm and having been up since 3am I didn't really 'feel the love' for fast driving. Still managed a 58 flat and called it a day. Anyway, I guess the other big plus was not a drop of coolant was used or had leaked, so all things considered.
Not a bad result overall.
Stunning results again, congrats. Sorry to hear you were not able to enjoy your car though. What did Paul comment on the new set up?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

In general, there is a more progressive feel. However we only had it at 1.4bar at 100% so not using all the new horse available. I can't say it felt entirely different by the seat of my pants but I think with both of us not in the best frame of mind, the results speak for the new driveability. I was able to attack corners a little bit more knowing the rear wasn't going to want to fry up the tyres quite so quickly. Still a throttle balancing act but that's nice too because that also shows that by going with a large plenum, we're didn't make it a real 'Off / On' experience. There's no sense of waiting for it to fill which I think is a normal response when people see bigger hardware.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
It ran successfully for many years in SCCA, PCA and NASA racing without a failure. The dump valve couldn't stay closed because the spring was too weak in it. it was no where near the surge line.

No gasket failures. Sorry but you are wrong here.
C'mon Chris, you know gas wasnt even invented back then, step back and learn son ..........

Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Thom
Race Car

In general, there is a more progressive feel. However we only had it at 1.4bar at 100% so not using all the new horse available. I can't say it felt entirely different by the seat of my pants but I think with both of us not in the best frame of mind, the results speak for the new driveability. I was able to attack corners a little bit more knowing the rear wasn't going to want to fry up the tyres quite so quickly. Still a throttle balancing act but that's nice too because that also shows that by going with a large plenum, we're didn't make it a real 'Off / On' experience. There's no sense of waiting for it to fill which I think is a normal response when people see bigger hardware.
I think I know what you mean, it took me a while to get used to my short runner intake, but once you get in its usable rpm range the kick in the back should be more frank when you floor the throttle. Perhaps the gains should be more obvious if you add several ° of timing for a start only before peak torque (mostly in the vacuum load area), but not sure you car needs it at all.

I was on the 'bahn again today doing some high speed work and felt a quite frustrated about the stock intake blocking the engine above 5k rpm. It becomes quite obvious with my tall ratio 6 speed gearbox, in fact the engine feels like it's suffering in the higher gears when loading it with any more boost than 0.8 bar.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Some guy posted on here a while ago a dyno chart from a ~2.6 8V JME engine tested on his engine bench, at 1.4 bar it made about 480 crank hp if I remember correctly, so if it takes a barrel intake, whichever of his cam profile and any of his other go-fast mods to get to that reliable level of power, there is no way anyone is going to get anywhere near 500rwhp on a 2.5 8V running the stock cam and intake.
You know Thom, you almost had me fooled that you actually wanted an intellectual conversation, obviously not, Instead you deflect to obfuscate , usual first sign when one is out of game and depth...

Now explain if you may from your above statement ,how one negates the other and remember , I suggested that a stock intake and Intercooler, not head was used to achieve (500whp) the results with enuff reliability to win national racing events..

Old 08-02-2014, 05:43 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom

I was on the 'bahn again today doing some high speed work and felt a quite frustrated about the stock intake blocking the engine above 5k rpm. It becomes quite obvious with my tall ratio 6 speed gearbox, in fact the engine feels like it's suffering in the higher gears when loading it with any more boost than 0.8 bar.
So , it wont pull past 5K in top gear but it does in the lower gears and this is due to your stock intake ?...
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Thom
Race Car

I would suggest you get back some more popcorn. Having any exchange with you that is any remotely resembling a discussion is not something I am interested in.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Expected, have fun with those 5 K pulls ...............
Old 08-02-2014, 09:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Well done Patrick and Paul. Looked like a pretty good turn out too.
Not bad turnout on a short track. As usual, we don't get that many runs with our 'relaxed' club format...Not sure how efficient your club days are run up there Eric?

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Well done Patrick, very quick time! I'm glad the head gasket is holding up!
Yes, that was a win for the weekend. Not that it means we've conquered it 100% but it's a start.

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Hardcore!!!!! getting the job done
Thanks David

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Great results to a trying day, extra congrats on the HG fix.
Thanks Eric. Perhaps a way forwards for these motors. Shall keep you abreast of the situation.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gonna say, Paul is the man. Big kudos to him.

Glad that it's working so well.

Old school or new, we are making it happen. It is unfortunate that whether you all have accomplished great things with these cars you font seem to respect what's happening now.

I'm glad to be able to respectively represent the car at the drags, I'm excited for Patrick at the time attacks, Duke is setting records that have stood for years.

The current results are hard to knock down. Keep trying.........
Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It's a shame that both of us were a bit under the weather yesterday. A few weeks ago Paul got a drive in a Supercar V8 which I'm sure some of you will know is our premium race category down under. It was in the support series but they are still extremely competitive and very close in lap times to the main game. From all reports a lot of people were very impressed by his driving and general results for a first timer. People couldn't believe that he'd not even sat in one of those cars let alone tested or even driven one. He remarked that the Porsche was a much easier and better car to drive. Paul is a very fit 40 year old. Goes to gym regularly and works physically. He said the V8 was sooooo much harder work even with the Hewland SQ box. In fact that's one of the hardest aspect of driving these monsters. However he was hoping to take some of the technique he gained into the Porsche yesterday. Mainly braking is where they really find time, but also just how you balance the car on the throttle for corner exit. Precision on where you do this is crucial.

Anyway, there's talk of some more V8 drives this year and beyond. Like many Pro series, you actually have to pay to drive and it's not cheap. So finding sponsors is a must. I'm obviously really hopeful that Paul can achieve more success and recognition for his skills. If he can do this while continuing to work and drive my car that will be a Win-Win!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad turnout on a short track. As usual, we don't get that many runs with our 'relaxed' club format...Not sure how efficient your club days are run up there Eric?
We have made some progress in this over the years. Basically, we run 4 groups (up to 10 cars per group) and start the next group when the last group are ending their cool down lap. There used to be big delays, but as a result of the ever decreasing value for money (track fees going up and up), we have managed to improve the way QR runs their events. We have also gone to half day formats to save cost, and we can easily get 5 runs in 4 hours, with 5 timed laps per run. Most have had enough by then anyway. We used to only get 6 runs in a full day. Of course, there seems to have been a reduction in incidents along with the reduction in entrants (not many new people these days). We also self scrutineer with spot checks by a club scrutineer which saves time.

We also used to have problems with entrants signing in on the day, so we used to get bogged down in paperwork, etc. The sign on process is much simpler now and we delegate this back to QR staff for the most part for their tracks.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

The issue is that it's always an amateur body and people manning the flaggies or admin on their own time. So it's difficult to be too pushy, but yes, our system doesn't have a lot of fans. Sounds like yours has been honed over time.

Quick Reply: INTAKES: What do you run or are building?