Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I just want to cry!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Thank you Luis, just woke up and was going to call you. I am fine, the car was parked and she backed into it. Lucky for me I have that fancy alarm system and my phone paged me that the alarm went off. I ran out and caught her before she could go anywhere. Honestly, I don't think she would have ran, she was a relative of my friends who were throwing the party. The biggest problem is the over the top custom stereo work done to this door. She has Farmers insurance which is really lousy. Don't think they are going to pay to have it redone, but we will see. I am just heart broken. It took Cecil two weeks to match the paint on the fender, hope it is easier this go around. Fortunately, it is the same side as the fender.
Can feel and hear your pain. Good thing you know who to go after. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it blue or Zermatt silver?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:18 PM
slap929
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry man. Glad, like the others have said, that it is just the door. Still sucks. Had the same situation where a dumb drunk girl hit my back right corner. That was a bad night...
Old 07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
lejams
Pro

I had a repair on a drivers side Baltic blue car once. Trickiest part will be matching the paint. From different perspectives and different lighting, metallics can look very different, particularly when paint work is done in the center. You need someone good and hands on matching the color. Will be tough not blending into the front fender and rear qtr panel. Given the age of our cars, not sure if it would help to use oem paint or not, but you want the metallic particles to be similar in size and brightness.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Eric, so sorry, man. But it could have been a LOT worse. Front end is good, she missed the quarter. As much as it sucks, you got off about as easy as anyone. Kind of hard to tell from the lighting, which one is this one?
Agreed
I told him the same thing ....
Its sucks but it could have been a lot worse if she hit the rear quarter...

Originally Posted by lart951
Is it blue or Zermatt silver?
Its Glacier Blue
Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie

Its Glacier Blue
Well I have perfect door shells make a trip to pick them up or make a BBQ and I'll deliver, lol
Old 07-05-2014, 02:49 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just sent you a text Luis.

You have a Glacier Blue door???

Wow, that would be awesome! Don't worry I will pay and make the BBQ!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

ugh...sorry man
Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see that. Glad it wasn't so much worse.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is terrible!

I hope all goes well with fixing.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am thankful it was not the rear quarter or worse. If it wasn't for my crazy stereo in this door it would not be that bad. Matching the Glacier Blue is going to be the biggest challenge. It took forever on the front fender and Cecil eventually flew a technician from Glasurit over from Germany to do the color match. Took him about 20 tries to get it right. Remember I am in this communist state and they can't use VOC paints anymore, only water borne crap!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
It took forever on the front fender and Cecil eventually flew a technician from Glasurit over from Germany to do the color match. Took him about 20 tries to get it right.
Would be awesome if someone kept track of the formula.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am so hoping they made note of that batch! If not, it will be a nightmare to match again. Not open until Monday so have to wait and see.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, who is your insurance company? You may talk to them, and have them deal with Farmer's. Roomate of mine in college got hit by a guy with Farmer's. Yes, they suck. But State Farm took over for him, paid to have his car fixed, then they dealt with Farmer's for hte reimbursement.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM
lejams
Pro

Just thought of something else that may help you avoid what I think might be sort of an unknown flaw. I had the drivers door replaced a couple of years ago on the 89. I went to the salvage yard and they allowed me to choose any door I wanted out of at least 25 944's. Picked a door in excellent condition, but not from an 89. I think it may have been a 86 or 87.

Good body shop did the work and had completed the paint. They were assembling but when they snapped the thin lower metal trim in, the thin top flat edge of the door cracked where you see the red line. It was a faint hairline crack that I may not have noticed right away, but they were honest enough to tell me up front. No doubt they weren't too happy about it.

They called me in to offer a couple of fixes. By the time I arrived they had discovered by comparing the one that had cracked to the 89 door, that apparently Porsche had installed a steel reinforcement plate on the 89 in that exact area behind the crack, so apparently they were aware of the fault. So the body shop took the reinforcement plate off the 89 door and tacked onto the new door to resolve the issue. To their credit, they had to take the door back off the car, weld it, and repaint it. They had already given me a bargain, but still refused to charge a dime extra.

May be a safer bet to pick up a 89 door just in case, or have a plate added to the door you get for the repair. Would be interesting to know if the door on your 89 already has the plate like mine did. Lart could add to this by checking out his inventory.

Attachment 850661

Last edited by lejams; 03-15-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: I just want to cry!!!