Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Would this car pass emissions in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
AcroGimp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this car pass emissions in CA?

Found an interesting car on the interwebz but concerned about emissions in CA so hoping CA 951 owners can opine on whether or not this car would have a shot at passing emissions and visual inspection for tagging - I am in San Diego area if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-944-...:WNARL:US:1123

'Gimp
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

probably not, the fuel pressure thingamajigger by the battery would be a visual fail
the blue silicone wouldnt help either
Old 06-18-2014, 02:49 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rebuilt at 77k only 10k on rebuild
Red flag.

Rolling dyno in San Diego, good luck.

A dash in an '86 should be in damn good shape. w/o a cover.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AcroGimp
Found an interesting car on the interwebz but concerned about emissions in CA so hoping CA 951 owners can opine on whether or not this car would have a shot at passing emissions and visual inspection for tagging - I am in San Diego area if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-944-...:WNARL:US:1123

'Gimp
Sadly in CA you have to pass the visual as well as emissions...
Usually, you can tune the emissions enough to pass, if you know someone would can tune the piggyback, so it meets the numbers... ( I am not sure there is one with this set up? )
Car looks pretty clean and has some nice upgrades ....
Regards
Ed
Update .. as you probably know you could go back to stock for the test ( Lindsey sells a Silicone J pipe )that you could use on that big turbo but you would have to swap out the MAF for the stock Airbox
Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup... the Lindsay MAF would fail the visual so you would have to undo that / return it to stock looking. I don't believe you can have exposed air filters like that for the visual inspection.

San Diego city is in an "Enhanced" smog zone so HC, CO, and NO are checked via rolling dyno at 15 and 25 MPH.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...rogram_Map.pdf
Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Too many shiny bits on it in addition to the MAF, fuel rail, etc.

I have aftermarket bits on mine but they are mounted in a stock-like fashion and it passes visual without a problem.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where you live, do you have to do the rolling smog tests (i.e. dyno) or just idle & 2500 rpm tests? Much easier to pass the sniffer part if you don't have to do the dyno test. You will need to find/develop a good tune that will pass smog. I have a K27 and don't have to do the dyno - so put stock injectors/stock fpr/ stock chip in and just make sure I drive it without getting on boost over/back to the smog shop. And of course have the stock airbox setup on for the test.

Visually, depending on the shop, the shiny stuff/adj. fpr in the engine bay may not matter as long as you have the stock airbox setup. I HAVE found a shiny exhaust is a red flag - I get challenged on my Fabspeed every year and the only thing that saves me is that I tell the shop it's the same exhaust I've had on the car the past 4 times they've passed me for smog, so I think they are just being cool on that (though the last time I heard one of the mechanics literally yelling "FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!" and saw the owner talking to him in the back as I paid the bill, so we shall see next time...). I know CA laws have changed significantly in regards to exhausts in the past few years. Stock airbox is mandatory. The gauge you can say you just added a gauge for the fuel pressure - no biggie. I've cleaned up a bunch of the vacuum hoses/routing, gotten rid of the metal 'octopus' under the intake, etc. and they have no clue - too much stuff under the hood unless they're very familiar with these cars. Also, they've never said a word about the black ****/boost gauge below the radio (hopefully soon adding afr/egt gauge too).
Old 06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

if you have to ask in commie-land.... then it's probably 'no.'
Old 06-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
if you have to ask in commie-land.... then it's probably 'no.'
LOL
Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
just make sure I drive it without getting on boost over/back to the smog shop. .
somewhat disagree..

I have read on 924board.org the trick that getting your turbo as hot as possible before the emissions test is ideal because the hot turbo will catalize the exhaust particles like a catalytic converter does...

maybe unplug your turbo water pump and drain the turbo of water, get that bugger red hot on your way to the emissions test, you want it to be as hot as possible when they do the test...

many many 931's pass smog on k-jetronic CIS with NO CAT this way...
Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

If you're software is set up properly, yes get your turbo as hot as possible. And I do run the car for ~1/2 hour before I take it in - I just don't get on boost. I'm running a larger turbo with stock software for the test - a BIG no-no. I will surely be running lean if getting on it and getting into boost. But off-boost, where the smog test is done, everything should be the same.

Also a catalytic converter is part of the visual inspection for CA, so one has to be installd regardless. In fact, as part of the new exhaust rules they now have specific aftermarket cat model numbers that are allowed for specific vehicles - we can't even just get a generic cat anymore!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

wow... im sorry, California sounds like a beautiful place and all but with laws such as that emissions BS and your horrible firearms laws ill stick my *** right here in northern Michigan with the carbureted chevy trucks running open exhaust and my ar-15 at my 500 yard shooting range...

what would happen if I even drove a real chevy small block through California?

could you guys even drive say an 84 chevy half tun truck that came stock with a carb and no cat?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Born and raised in Milwaukee and the burbs around Milwaukee and really wish I could swing retiring out of state... Wound up out here because it was Dad's dream to live out here when we were growing up.

On that 84 Chevy half ton - you'd have to make sure it had the same goodies as a California equipped version, meaning special carb most likely, some other hoses/valves/emissions goodies, and yes you'd have to have a catalytic converter installed. I'm all for taking care of the people, but this is a typical example of how the liberals take things too far - it's not enough that your car can pass the clean air numbers they keep changing/tightening for your car, they want to be able to control exactly what you do to your property too or even what property you have...
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 AM
fasteddie313
Pro

cough-cough...

slavery, errherm...

and we have the most powerful citizens militia in the country to keep **** like that in check....

to be fair I did get a DNR ticket in my jeep for driving in a field, state land field not somebodies field...

and more and more of our swampy area is getting turned into some sort of state reserve land and there blocking 50 year old 2 tracks
Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Born and raised in Milwaukee and the burbs around Milwaukee and really wish I could swing retiring out of state... Wound up out here because it was Dad's dream to live out here when we were growing up.

On that 84 Chevy half ton - you'd have to make sure it had the same goodies as a California equipped version, meaning special carb most likely, some other hoses/valves/emissions goodies, and yes you'd have to have a catalytic converter installed. I'm all for taking care of the people, but this is a typical example of how the liberals take things too far - it's not enough that your car can pass the clean air numbers they keep changing/tightening for your car, they want to be able to control exactly what you do to your property too or even what property you have...
So freakin true !!! Mindless control ( that's what they want )
Believe it or not, NY State (were I was originally from ) had the same pollution requirements that were in CA ( that was in 1988) So my car, originally bought in 88, was equipped the same smog controls as in CA ... But the DMV here still charged me a 300 dollar smog penalty for bringing in an out of state car. When Arnold became Gov here he refunded those monies that the DMV charged ...
In the only other case of a wholesale refund, the department since 2000 has returned more than $450 million to motorists who paid an illegal $300 smog fee in the 1990s when they registered their out-of-state vehicles.
These rectums always want their hand in your pocket.....

Quick Reply: Would this car pass emissions in CA?