Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing studs from block ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:36 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Removing studs from block ?

If I have the cylinders of my spare block plated I'll have to remove all the studs etc first, do the collet type removers/installers made by Hydramec / sold by Snap-on always manage to remove the studs ?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:51 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blade7
If I have the cylinders of my spare block plated I'll have to remove all the studs etc first, do the collet type removers/installers made by Hydramec / sold by Snap-on always manage to remove the studs ?
You have to heat them up. I throw the whole block in an oven for a while, then they all just come out easily
Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
You have to heat them up. I throw the whole block in an oven for a while, then they all just come out easily
Oven? Do you own a pizza shop or something?

There's no guarantee even with the snap-on collets, but they give you the best chance from what I've seen and usually work. Soak the wells with a good penetrant. Use a large T-bar to crank on the studs so you don't side load them (the bigger the better), and use a map gas flame on the block down where the threads are to break the absurd amount of red Loctite used by the factory -- assuming you don't have a pizza oven that is... (be sure to dry out any penetrant first so as not to catch that on fire...). If the block is on a stand, it helps to have a helper brace things -- or remove them while the motor is still in the car.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 PM
blade7
Drifting

I don't have a suitable oven . Thanks Tom, haven't bought the collet type remover yet, not sure I will if there's a chance it wont do the job. Block is on a stand.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:27 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Oven? Do you own a pizza shop or something?
Nope, the old oven from when I renovated our kitchen. I kept it for powder coating.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Cheburator
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have a suitable oven . Thanks Tom, haven't bought the collet type remover yet, not sure I will if there's a chance it wont do the job. Block is on a stand.
I had to use an oven on my block. 6 of the studs would not budge at all, even with a massive pipe wrench. A friend who powdercoats wheels stepped in and allowed me to "borrow" his oven. Once the block was heated to 130C and the studs gently tapped with a mallet, they came out. Much preferred working on the 928 where Porsche switched to bolts...

Alex
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these can be a bear and I'm sure some may require heat, but on a 968 block I applied WD40 a couple nights in a row letting them sit about 48 hours. Triple nutted them and they eased out with about a 18" breaker bar without a much trouble. I was surprised how easy they came out. Tom's T-bar is a safer bet though.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by lejams
I know these can be a bear and I'm sure some may require heat, but on a 968 block I applied WD40 a couple nights in a row letting them sit about 48 hours. Triple nutted them and they eased out with about a 18" breaker bar without a much trouble. I was surprised how easy they came out. Tom's T-bar is a safer bet though.
This is what I'll try first of all. Did you take the crank girdle and waterpump studs out too ?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Cyanoacrylate adhesives (Loctite) lose essentially all strength at + - 300 F.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'll try first of all. Did you take the crank girdle and waterpump studs out too ?
Yes took them all out. I had a torch ready while removing everything, just didn't have to use it. Doesn't mean it will go that all the time...
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does ARP sell the girdle studs?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PB Blaster for 48 hrs did the trick for me.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always had to use heat. The exhaust side is usually easier than the intake. The snap on stud remover works, but you can double nut them as well. Have fun! If you are having it Nikasil plated, all of the galley plugs and locating pins/dowels have to come out as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

A long time ago, Garrity held a 944 engine building class and had maybe 6 block cores on stands. My collet/t-bar/torch approach came from that class, but the interesting part was how differently all of the studs came out. If memory serves, we got them all out without pulling any threads, but some came out with very little effort and some took a ton of heat and force and seemed like they were never coming out. They all appeared original-factory installed, but the amount of red Loctite also varied (from plenty to way too much). There was no pattern we could figure -- seemed fairly random as to which were easy and which were a big pain.

Raceware sells girdle bolts specifically for the 944 block. Haven't seen that from ARP, but maybe they have something. Engine Builders Supply might be worth a call on that.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom:

That story reminds me of the oil filter housing! Must be attributed to how much Loktite is applied and what exact method they used to apply it.

If the Loktite is applied liberally and on two clean surfaces WD-40 and even the Better PB Blaster will have zero effect, heat must be applied to break the bond. Loktite does sell a proprietary release fluid that is quite expensive and doesn't always work either.

Quick Reply: Removing studs from block ?