Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Opinions/options on Wastegates upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:33 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944

Should be a solid line from charge pipe to top of wastegate, just disconnection the side port is not enough because you then making a huge leak from the disconnected hose which will cause high boost. If it still overboosts after confirming above then your diaphram broke. If your using the lr dual port ask Lindsey if they will sell you a new diaphram seal, they are super easy to swap out, 10 minute job tops. Probably save you on money too.

I have it to charge pipe correctly and blocked off the lower line ... What Dave told me over the phone .. I'm removing the waste gate this weekend and will pull apart... Any benfits if I go to a tial vs duel port
Old 10-18-2014, 11:54 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrown

I have it to charge pipe correctly and blocked off the lower line ... What Dave told me over the phone .. I'm removing the waste gate this weekend and will pull apart... Any benfits if I go to a tial vs duel port
Tial is a dual port, absolutely zero benefit from switching. Lr fits better doesn't require adapters and is just as rebuildable as tial. Lr opens the wastegate on the sealed side which is ideal where tial opens on the valve stem side which creates a natural leak of boost into your exhaust (though small but it exists). Most tial users like to think this isn't true but if you bench test them side by side you'll see the truth. Using a shop line with 15 psi and a shut off valve, connect the line to each WG in their respective ports and while the pressure is flowing, close off each shutoff valve, tial will immediately close not holding any of the pressure. Lr dual port will remain open locking the 15 psi in........so what does this mean for boost control? It means when you boost with a tial, a percentage of boost is leaking off making spool time increased and the turbo has to work harder to open the wastegate. Think about it, if the wastegate needs for example 11 psi to open and you send 11 psi, some of that will be leaking let's say 2 psi. Now your turbo has to produce 13 psi to open an 11 psi spring! This is of course a minor difference but if youre running 18 to 20 psi, your turbos making 20 to 22. Lr is sealed and doesn't have this issue.

Tial also mounts opposite from stock or lr wastegate, they are angled very close to the firewall and torque tube. the adapter plates create a potential 4 leaking points where lr has only 2.

Something to consider, all said they are both quality wastegates created with different visions.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Devon, you have a fb message.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR MBC sold