Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help me understand wastegate shims

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me understand wastegate shims

What exactly does shimming the wastegate do? My current understanding of it (very little) is that it stretches the spring that holds back the boost pressure so that it can hold higher boost.

If I were to remove my boost enhancer, would the shim modify my boost at all by itself? My assumption is that boost would be unchanged from stock.

Trying to figure out how to get out of my improved autox class, apparently all that is bumping me into it is because my boost is modified. I'm wondering if I could just take out the boost enhancer/controller on race day and have that be the end of it.

I guess I also have to worry if my chips are OK with reduced boost levels from where they are at. All of these mods were done prior to me owning the car.

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wastegate shim will, in fact, raise the boost all by itself.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is a shimmed wastegate worth?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Worth for selling or in terms of boost? I still would be interested in a brief explanation of how it works too
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't build higher boost with a shimed waste gate. They pre-compress the wastegate valve spring. This has two effects. First the waste gate will hold pressure better and will not bleed off as much prior to the set boost level. Second, it will slightly restrict the output, because the valve will no longer be able to open fully. In most cases the waste gate not opening fully probably has no effect boost level.
So basically it will help you build boost a little quicker, but won't change you max boost (unless you aren't using a boost controler).
Old 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CO951
So basically it will help you build boost a little quicker, but won't change you max boost (unless you aren't using a boost controler).
Did you mean to say that? If I'm not using a boost controller, then it will change my max boost?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:58 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Yabo
Did you mean to say that? If I'm not using a boost controller, then it will change my max boost?
Porsche put one on the car. The factory spring will open at about 3PSI. The factory controller doesn't let any air to it until it makes what 12 PSI or so? So if you compress it so it won't open until 6 PSI (arbitrary), when the electric boost controller opens so a 12PSI "signal" goes to it, it will still open
Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

you might as well put a tial in there
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Where is the factory boost controller, physically?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Under the intake manifold. It is a beige disc with the vac lines running to it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM
jmj951
Pro

More commonly known as the cycling valve.
http://www.paragon-products.com/Vacu...606.117.00.htm
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CO951
You won't build higher boost with a shimed waste gate. They pre-compress the wastegate valve spring. This has two effects. First the waste gate will hold pressure better and will not bleed off as much prior to the set boost level. Second, it will slightly restrict the output, because the valve will no longer be able to open fully. In most cases the waste gate not opening fully probably has no effect boost level.

???
No idea why you would say that.
You're arguing against the laws of physics; with a wastegate shim (it's in effect a stiffer spring) you will build boost a little quicker but also have a higher max boost; all else being the same (stock cycling valve, manual boost controller, etc).
Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Why would it be a stiffer spring? That could only be the case if it's an progressive spring and i'm very sure it's not. When it's a normal spring it does not matter how much you compress it, it will always take the same amount of force.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Why would it be a stiffer spring? That could only be the case if it's an progressive spring and i'm very sure it's not. When it's a normal spring it does not matter how much you compress it, it will always take the same amount of force.
Correction, it takes the same amount of force per unit distance. For example, if you have a coil spring on a car that is 8" long, and is a 500 pound per inch spring, to move it an inch requires 500 pounds of force. If, however, it is in a pre-compressed state such that it has already been compressed an inch, to move the system an inch would be like moving hte spring two inches, and thus require 1000 pounds of force.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Thanks Harry, that is completely correct on why it takes more force with a compressed spring.
Turbo, the boost control controls the max boost, unless you are just using the spring to control boost and not a controller. Putting a shim in has no effect on how much boost is achieved before the controller opens the waste gate.

Quick Reply: Help me understand wastegate shims