Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 trans deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I see an intact cage in the background. Is that from another joint that didn't explode??

It looks like the shaft may have moved inward and caused the bearings to explode out of the cage. If that is the case, then they may have been well worn and if the trans did move too far laterally may have allowed the extra room for this.

Maybe you can be more clear about what we're seeing in the pics.

Usually when I pull them apart the cage is in about 5 pieces.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM
blown 944
Race Car

also, did you pull the snap ring off the shaft in the top right pic? Of not, then that is the problem
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Educational Patrick. Thanks for your wise remark. Will use this towards remedy.

G

But seriously do the Trans brace mod too George.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
also, did you pull the snap ring off the shaft in the top right pic? Of not, then that is the problem
Yes, I pulled the snap ring off. What you are looking at is a dismantled CV joint. This is what it looked like prior to removal, I didn't touch anything in this picture. This was taken before I removed anything. The bolts that are missing obviously were blown out from force. The others were tight.

The wear has been happening for some time, and finally broke. The wear on the rotating parts within the CV was severe as shown in the photo's. LR does not have these in stock, and I don't know how long the manufacturer will take to ship new ones
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM
George D
Drifting

No. It's the cage that was messed up. All photo's of the cage is from the broken CV.
Originally Posted by blown 944
So I see an intact cage in the background. Is that from another joint that didn't explode??

It looks like the shaft may have moved inward and caused the bearings to explode out of the cage. If that is the case, then they may have been well worn and if the trans did move too far laterally may have allowed the extra room for this.

Maybe you can be more clear about what we're seeing in the pics.

Usually when I pull them apart the cage is in about 5 pieces.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

They're from the Driveshaft shop. Shouldn't be too much of a wait George.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

ahhh lets build a car and not even figure out if the axles are gonna grenade or not.

Porsche builds kit cars you astronauts actually make them work.

hats off to you all, Patrick, Tony, Josh, Duke, Mike, Chris, etc.

Last edited by odurandina; 05-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Did you have locking fasteners on it, or stock bolts? In the assembled picture where the bolts are missing, did the heads shear off leaving the threads broken off inside, or is the entire bolt gone?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 PM
George D
Drifting

Tom,

Just the one bolt was missing. All the others were tight. The bearing must have stopped rotating there, and blew out the bolt. Once the bearing stopped rotating, I'm theorizing this pushed the axle out of the CV grooves. You can see the indentation in the cage.

Porsche axles on the factory cars last a very long time. Tripling the factory tq is asking for failure. The newer versions are tested to 1000 ft lbs. Once I get the new version of these axles, we should be good for a while.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Did you have locking fasteners on it, or stock bolts? In the assembled picture where the bolts are missing, did the heads shear off leaving the threads broken off inside, or is the entire bolt gone?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:13 PM
George D
Drifting

These are the bolts that came with these axles from LR. The locking bolts are on the trans side.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Tom,

Just the one bolt was missing. All the others were tight. The bearing must have stopped rotating there, and blew out the bolt. Once the bearing stopped rotating, I'm theorizing this pushed the axle out of the CV grooves. You can see the indentation in the cage.

Porsche axles on the factory cars last a very long time. Tripling the factory tq is asking for failure. The newer versions are tested to 1000 ft lbs. Once I get the new version of these axles, we should be good for a while.
Maybe, but I've run 500ft lbs at the wheels through stock axles and haven't blown a set yet.

Was the head sheared off? If not, hard to see how a bad bearing could spin the bolt out of the threads?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 PM
George D
Drifting

Maybe, but I've run 500ft lbs at the wheels through stock axles and haven't blown a set yet.

Was the head sheared off? If not, hard to see how a bad bearing could spin the bolt out of the threads?
Yes. Sorry that wasn't clear. I'd hate to have one bolt larger than the rest.

G
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 PM
George D
Drifting

My wife doesn't like to see this stuff on the kitchen granite. I tell her it's cleaner than poultry.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:02 PM
George D
Drifting

Tom, I get it. These were the first units from LR. They were updated and are under warranty. If I had a factory 968 passenger side (shorter) axle, it would be in the car. I was planning on going to the test/tune tonight for a few 1/4 slips to share with Sid. Sucks that won't happen.

George

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Personally, I would just get a vanagon axle and use the joints on the shorter axle to have a spare on hand.

I take two spares to the track with me as a minimum.

Quick Reply: 968 trans deal