Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Off-the-shelf vs Custom Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-the-shelf vs Custom Exhaust System

It seems that many Rennlisters go with "off the shelf" exhaust systems for their 951s.

I am thinking it is time to upgrade to a bigger exhaust system.

Why does everyone use the "off the shelf" systems and not go to shops that will custom bend the pipes and make it all fit up? Just looking at summitracing, 3" stainless exhaust pipe is about $35/4ft. So roughly 4 sections of pipe would be sufficient for a 951. That is about $140 in materials.

It seems to me most of the money is in the "labor" of bending the pipes. There are shops around that have mandrel bending machines. It seems for the $600 in "labor" that is included in the off-the-shelf kits, a shop that does this could practically make and install a complete system.

Why is the method of choice buying off-the-shelf systems? Has anyone ever used a custom made system and what are the results?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made my own exhaust. I bought all the bents, 45s and 90s. I have an account with multiple steel places. so the bends they weren't much at all. $15 a bend IICR or something around that.
SS 3" length of tube we had laying around so didn't cost anything really. Built the whole down pipe and exhaust. Also built a separate dump pipe to the rear of the car (gone now, just tied in)

My mufflers where the expensive things. $300 each. I have SS mufflers with SS packing not fiberglass.

All flanges are Vband too. Helps if you have a lip in them so they can grab when fitting.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I probably would of done something custom or bought from someone like Dave Novak(dnovak on here) but found a good deal on ebay for my 3" Fabspeed.

Buying something "off the shelf" is super convenient. You buy it and bolt it on, simple.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
It seems that many Rennlisters go with "off the shelf" exhaust systems for their 951s.

I am thinking it is time to upgrade to a bigger exhaust system.

Why does everyone use the "off the shelf" systems and not go to shops that will custom bend the pipes and make it all fit up? Just looking at summitracing, 3" stainless exhaust pipe is about $35/4ft. So roughly 4 sections of pipe would be sufficient for a 951. That is about $140 in materials.

It seems to me most of the money is in the "labor" of bending the pipes. There are shops around that have mandrel bending machines. It seems for the $600 in "labor" that is included in the off-the-shelf kits, a shop that does this could practically make and install a complete system.

Why is the method of choice buying off-the-shelf systems? Has anyone ever used a custom made system and what are the results?
for one thing, the "off the shelf" systems were probably made in a jig and their fitment is more accurate (you'd think).

the ones the corner exhaust shop would make might have issues like hitting the rear suspension on bumps or whatever that may not be so obvious when trying to make some pipes and bends fit to a car sitting overhead...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
for one thing, the "off the shelf" systems were probably made in a jig and their fitment is more accurate (you'd think).

the ones the corner exhaust shop would make might have issues like hitting the rear suspension on bumps or whatever that may not be so obvious when trying to make some pipes and bends fit to a car sitting overhead...
Correct, They usually weld everything in place. Where when we did mine, we took it out and made it on the floor and for ever test fitting.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did mine the same way as well. Also did my own header and cross over.

Bought a lot of 3" 90 degree bends and 6 meters (18 feet) of pipe. All Stainless 316. One Magnaflow muffler, costs 120 euro's (160$).

But in the end, all of this has taken about 8 days to fabricate (header, crossover and exhaust) But ofcourse this is mainly because of the non standard place for my turbo as it is a bit larger than standard..

Also did everything with vBand flanges. Looks way better, bolts on very nice and gives a good seal
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sixline
I probably would of done something custom or bought from someone like Dave Novak(dnovak on here) but found a good deal on ebay for my 3" Fabspeed.

Buying something "off the shelf" is super convenient. You buy it and bolt it on, simple.
But are they really "bolt on"? Looking through threads, I have seen threads with fit-up issues.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I depends what type of corner exhaust shop we are talking about.

I am thinking more along the lines of something like this:

http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Pro...3/Default.aspx
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by DanaT
But are they really "bolt on"? Looking through threads, I have seen threads with fit-up issues.
My fabspeed was completely bolt-on... except they don't include hardware, contrary to what their website says.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think anybody will build an exhaust at home that even slightly resembles the absolute work of art that Fabspeed sells. I have complete turbo back and mine did come with all hardware. Been on 3 years now and still has mirror finish. Of course you will pay for it. Note I said resembles, it would easier to match the performance at home, but not the looks. My thermally coated 4" LR turbo back also looks menacing, but not pretty like the Fabspeed. The shear size of the 4" is COOL though!
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I just want to clear something up before someone misunderstands something.

The exhaust doesn't sound any different to who manufactured it.
It's the exhaust diameter, muffler brand and type that determines the sound.

Some will cost more then others, is because they:
1. Use different mufflers
2. manufacturing quality (fitment, flanges ect)
3. material grade.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

That fabspeed looks awesome. Do they still produce 4" ?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I just want to clear something up before someone misunderstands something.

The exhaust doesn't sound any different to who manufactured it.
It's the exhaust diameter, muffler brand and type that determines the sound.

Some will cost more then others, is because they:
1. Use different mufflers
2. manufacturing quality (fitment, flanges ect)
3. material grade.
+1 but just want to add that material grade affects sounds too. Stainless give a different sound than mild steel.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
+1 but just want to add that material grade affects sounds too. Stainless give a different sound than mild steel.
Forgot to add that but yes!
mild/stainless/titanium all sound different!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Has anybody done titanium 944 exhaust?

Quick Reply: Off-the-shelf vs Custom Exhaust System