Notices

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

 
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
  #1216  
hinton
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

hinton is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM
  #1217  
senior_squishy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
senior_squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Maine
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So that's for sure the one they used?
senior_squishy is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM
  #1218  
vt951
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
vt951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by senior_squishy View Post
So that's for sure the one they used?
No, apparently they modified the stock plastic one.

Last edited by vt951; 06-20-2019 at 11:30 AM.
vt951 is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 PM
  #1219  
hinton
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by vt951 View Post
No, apparently they modified the stick plastic one.
They didnít have enough room to use the aluminum one. They cut, bent and bonded the factory one since their engine is so close to the firewall.
hinton is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 08:08 AM
  #1220  
Denver544
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Iím working on a rear coolant flange as a school project, Attempting to have it hug the cover as close as possible and still retain the coolant sensor and both outlets.
Denver544 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:41 PM
  #1221  
hinton
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

hinton is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 PM
  #1222  
paredown
User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Great thread--hats off to those of you with the vision and tenacity to get this far.

Some mad skills on display with CAD, and some encyclopedic memories for the nuts and bolts of making stuff work. I can't wait to see and hear one of these puppies run!

(In a lot of ways this thread is the antithesis of most engine swap threads that start with bold pronouncements and then peter out as technical problems defeat them...)
paredown is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Droops83 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 PM
  #1223  
vt951
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
vt951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Denver544 View Post
Iím working on a rear coolant flange as a school project, Attempting to have it hug the cover as close as possible and still retain the coolant sensor and both outlets.
Fantastic! Please keep me in the loop. Whatís your project timeframe? I need to get something together soon for mikeís car to dyno. If we have to do something temporary like what Overboost Drift team did, maybe thatís a possibility. Otherwise, Iím probably going to just have to carve something out of billet.
vt951 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 PM
  #1224  
EastEnd944
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
EastEnd944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I've been working 80 hour weeks so I've barely been able to keep up with the thread, I'm happy to see that progress is being made! I was able to get some work done the past few weekends rebuilding my 07K (cleaning everything up, replacing bearings and seals, painting the block, swapping the head gasket for the TTRS version, etc) Finally got to install some of the swap kit parts, and wow they look good! Its amazing how much better this engine looks compared to when I got it. hinton and vt951 I remember you guys mentioned a standalone plug and play ECU in the works, do you plan on running that in mike's car to dyno? Or are you going to run the stock 07K one? Also, after doing the head gasket and timing chains, I'm realizing that I probably should have waited a while to do so. As it looks like putting the upper oil pan back on is going to be a bit of a nightmare with the lower rear timing cover on the engine.

EastEnd944 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 PM
  #1225  
EastEnd944
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
EastEnd944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Also, roughly how much is it going to cost to have the oil pan done?
EastEnd944 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:28 PM
  #1226  
vt951
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
vt951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EastEnd944 View Post
Also, roughly how much is it going to cost to have the oil pan done?
I donít have all the costs yet, so I canít give a solid price yet. Itís not going to be cheap due to the large number of parts and operations, but believe me, I am trying my best to keep it as reasonable as possible.
vt951 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
  #1227  
vt951
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
vt951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EastEnd944 View Post
I've been working 80 hour weeks so I've barely been able to keep up with the thread, I'm happy to see that progress is being made! I was able to get some work done the past few weekends rebuilding my 07K (cleaning everything up, replacing bearings and seals, painting the block, swapping the head gasket for the TTRS version, etc) Finally got to install some of the swap kit parts, and wow they look good! Its amazing how much better this engine looks compared to when I got it. hinton and vt951 I remember you guys mentioned a standalone plug and play ECU in the works, do you plan on running that in mike's car to dyno? Or are you going to run the stock 07K one? Also, after doing the head gasket and timing chains, I'm realizing that I probably should have waited a while to do so. As it looks like putting the upper oil pan back on is going to be a bit of a nightmare with the lower rear timing cover on the engine.

Awesome progress, especially considering youíre working 80 hrs per week (which is crazy on its own).
vt951 is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 AM
  #1228  
hinton
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by EastEnd944 View Post
hinton and vt951 I remember you guys mentioned a standalone plug and play ECU in the works, do you plan on running that in mike's car to dyno? Or are you going to run the stock 07K one?
We will be running the PE3 standalone on the dyno
for both our cars. With mine being NA, and Alanís being turbo, we will have both base maps covered for people. My car will be the development car for the swap harness as well.
hinton is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:49 AM
  #1229  
hinton
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default


Sneak Peak
hinton is offline  
The following users liked this post:
333pg333 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM
  #1230  
GPA951s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GPA951s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Outskirts of Buffalo NY
Posts: 647
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Looks Sweet! I Wanna See it on Track!!! 36 Days to Go!
GPA951s is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: