944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018 | 08:57 PM
JWebber
Racer

Great news on all points . Is there going to be any kind of group buy for the Spec parts in hopes of getting the price down a little bit ? I priced the stage 3 setup and it was $1150 with the aluminum flywheel . I know the pricing was for the VW clutch disc . I must also say this again , thank you for all your efforts on this .
Old 11-29-2018 | 10:00 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JWebber
Great news on all points . Is there going to be any kind of group buy for the Spec parts in hopes of getting the price down a little bit ? I priced the stage 3 setup and it was $1150 with the aluminum flywheel . I know the pricing was for the VW clutch disc . I must also say this again , thank you for all your efforts on this .
I hope so, but I don’t know yet. SPEC is putting together pricing now. I’ll see if they have a tiered pricing model in their proposal. If not, I’ll ask.
Old 11-29-2018 | 10:18 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I hung my turbo under the SPA manifold on an eBay T3 vband adapter. It’s not too bad, but I think I’m going to modify the adapter or make a new one that cheats the turbo a little bit further from the engine block. I think that will make the exhaust easier to route around the bellhousing.

Old 11-30-2018 | 11:59 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

I would like in on the group buy please
Colin
Old 11-30-2018 | 12:25 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Been sitting on my money , then something comes up just now . Just bought full Porsche Cayenne calipers for my suspension upgrade coming shortly . Had a guy been offering me a couple hundred for my Corrado Ecode headlights , now to see if he has the money . If not , I guess I need to donate some blood or something .
Nice! I was struggling between some IE 07k I-beam conrods vs a new racing seat on cyber monday. The seat won. Sucks when you have to choose safety over speed lol.

It's great to see the progress on this! Seeing that turbo in there got me excited!

With you going back to work, if there is anything I can do to help keep things moving let me know. I used to do CAD/Product engineering professionally before I switched to software engineering. It seems like everything is in a good place right now but figured I would put it out there if you get tight on time.
Old 11-30-2018 | 02:47 PM
JWebber
Racer

I have been needing to go through the suspension for a while now . The car needs more power , but you have to have a safe car to put it in . I was hoping to be able to have the engine ready and in by the second week of April . There is a gathering of people at the Tail of the Dragon .
Old 11-30-2018 | 04:27 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Nice! I was struggling between some IE 07k I-beam conrods vs a new racing seat on cyber monday. The seat won. Sucks when you have to choose safety over speed lol.

It's great to see the progress on this! Seeing that turbo in there got me excited!

With you going back to work, if there is anything I can do to help keep things moving let me know. I used to do CAD/Product engineering professionally before I switched to software engineering. It seems like everything is in a good place right now but figured I would put it out there if you get tight on time.
Actually, I'll be taking off a few weeks from work to do the siding. We're building a new house, and that was something I thought I put sweat equity into pretty easily. Now that it's actually happening in December, I'm not as thrilled about it. Oh well...

This should just be a little speed bump in my design progress. If it ends up taking more time that I expect, I may take you up on your offer. I've had a couple of similar offers from others already. Sometimes, it's much easier to plow through designs by myself. Kind of nice compared to how it goes at work with some many "cooks in the kitchen".

Old 11-30-2018 | 04:30 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I have been needing to go through the suspension for a while now . The car needs more power , but you have to have a safe car to put it in . I was hoping to be able to have the engine ready and in by the second week of April . There is a gathering of people at the Tail of the Dragon .
Sounds like fun. I've never been there, but want to go sometime. Would be awesome to see you get it all running by April.
Old 11-30-2018 | 05:01 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
Sometimes, it's much easier to plow through designs by myself. Kind of nice compared to how it goes at work with some many "cooks in the kitchen".
Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many chiefs and not enough Indians, I've heard it all 😂 but it makes sense. Better have everything originate from one source and be consolidated instead of scatered throughout and trying to piece everything together like a jigsaw puzzle!
Old 12-01-2018 | 09:09 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Alan, is it possible to get in on the group buy as a 'partial'? I'm interested in the valve cover, oil adapter, and mounts (basically the kit minus the PS pulley adapter).
Old 12-01-2018 | 10:31 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Alan, is it possible to get in on the group buy as a 'partial'? I'm interested in the valve cover, oil adapter, and mounts (basically the kit minus the PS pulley adapter).
Well, for you I’ll figure something out (since you started this whole thing!). I’ll pm you.
Old 12-01-2018 | 10:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Alan,
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere else but are you starting to get a rough ballpark of "swap kit" cost (BH, clutch, mounts, pan, VC, SPA intake and exhaust, etc)?
Old 12-01-2018 | 12:11 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Alan,
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere else but are you starting to get a rough ballpark of "swap kit" cost (BH, clutch, mounts, pan, VC, SPA intake and exhaust, etc)?
still missing a few details before pricing can be nailed down. A big part of that is the bellhousing, but there are other issues to resolve as well.
Old 12-01-2018 | 03:33 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Alan,

Sorry ,, couldn`t resist .
Old 12-01-2018 | 08:59 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

We’re close to having pricing for this first round of kits. The tricky part is that our cost is highly dependent on volume. So, we will need to try to build kits in batches of maybe 10 or 20 at a time in order to keep the prices reasonable. As you can imagine, it is a pretty expensive endeavor to float cash for that many parts. For that reason, I think Mike Hinton (Boost Brothers Garage) and I will probably continue with a pre-order/group buy style business model for a while. Someday if this catches on and there’s sufficient volume to justify it, we will transition to holding inventory and taking orders one at a time.

As for costs, our goal is to keep this kit as reasonably priced as possible while having very high quality, fit/finish, and durability. Will it be possible for someone to hand make their own pieces for less? Maybe, maybe not...

Thank you all for your patience... and all your design input and feedback.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread