Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thoughts on Sparco sprint V seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014 | 04:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thoughts on Sparco sprint V seat

I might pick up a new seat this weekend, its a new in box black Sparco Sprint V seat. The seller is also throwing in a new in box G-force 6 point harness for 390 bucks, so I'm basically buying the new seat and getting the harness free. Any thoughts of first-butt experiences with this seat? I was also looking at a sparco fighter which I know is supposed to be a much better seat, but the seller is being somewhat flaky and the guy with the sprint V is local. I'm been ready to make the jump to fixed back buckets for some time now, I'm also open to suggestions for a good harness/roll bar.
Old 02-18-2014 | 04:39 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Sprint Vs in my car at one point. I could not mount them with sliders and the side mounts, they were way too tall. Other than that they were great, especially for smaller to mid-sized drivers. Obviously try sitting in them before you get them.
Old 02-18-2014 | 04:46 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

I'm a real slender guy and only 5'10". I was looking at the spring V initially because I had heard that it was a tighter seat. How did you have yours mounted? I was thinking about just welding a thick plate to the floor and bolting it straight in. I'm going to have to weld the floor boards anyway for my sub belt mounts and possibly the lap belts depending on how it all fits in my car.
Old 02-18-2014 | 04:53 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I had mine mounted floorboard -> OG Racing universal bracket -> Sparco sliders -> Sprint V lower mounting points. I had the sub-belt and laps going to the OEM lower seat belt mounts and the shoulders going around the harness bar on my cage to the OEM lower mounting points for the rear seats. I actually never tracked it that way, but planned on moving the sub-belts to their own eyes on the floorboard.
Old 02-18-2014 | 04:56 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Oh one more question! My car is a dual use track/street car so I was really hoping to still be able to use the stock seat belts on the streets since messing with a 6 point to go pick up groceries is pretty silly. Is this possible with the sprint V?
Old 02-18-2014 | 05:19 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts

The Sprint 5 can be mounted using side mounts, or bottom mount. Good entry level seat. It's a little too upright for my taste so sit in it before you purchase.

More information can be found here: http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-sprint-5-racing-seat

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call at 800-934-9112.

Kind regards,
Old 02-18-2014 | 05:23 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Sure, it's possible. If you use the base plate adapter, it has a steel tab for mounting the seatbelt receiver; alternatively, you can mount it to the driveshaft tunnel. I think with the tab on the mounting bracket, the factory receiver may be a little long to line up with the lap belt slot in your seat. Once you get the receiver lined up with the lap belt slot on the inside, it's just a matter of removing the lower seatbelt mount on the outside, passing it through the lapbelt slot in the seat, and reattaching it to the body.

^Edit: BTW, I bought mine from OG Racing a few years back on black friday--the only black friday purchase I've ever made and I couldn't be happier with my experience with them. Too bad I'm no longer a trip up rt28 away.
Old 02-18-2014 | 06:48 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am only 5' 9" and I ran into headroom issues with a helmet on. I figured I would never have an issue but the problem is the seat rails are inclined backwards, so the further you slide towards the front, the higher you end up in the car. I had to lean my seat backwards slightly to help. I am using Sparco Evo seats with Planted side-mount brackets. I used Recaro sliders on the passenger side, slid all the way back, and there is plenty of headroom. You will lose 1" with most sliders. I could not use them on the driver's side (FOR SALE... $60).

Of course the Sprint seats are tubular frame, so they are not nearly as comfortable or light as a fiberglas seat, but they are still decent. I think you could make the stock seatbelts work with them (I did with mine). The inner mount is tricky if you aren't using sliders as it is usually sandwiched between the seat and the mounts on the car. There is an OEM PN which will work to adapt the receptacle (I think 964 RS or something). I made my own by bending some 1/8" steel and tack welding a 7/16"-20 nut on. I think I may have pictures somewhere... I used the stock bracket on the passenger side with the Recaro rails.
Old 02-18-2014 | 07:02 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
I am only 5' 9" and I ran into headroom issues with a helmet on.
This is actually the exact reason why I took my seats and cage out of my car, but I thought it was just me. I'm 5'8" but I have short arms and legs and a longer torso, so I have to sit close to the wheel for my height. My particular problem was that I had to sit so far forward that my helmet would contact the front cross bar of my cage if I belted myself in and threw my upperbody forward as if in a collision. I'd more accurately call my problem a matter of seat angle than height, though. Based on that, I'd expect taller drivers would not have the same problem I did since you get more headroom as you move the seats back on the sliders. I've had friends sit in my car with the seats and cage and adjust so they could drive comfortably without headroom issues, but I never could.
Old 02-19-2014 | 12:58 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Hmm, thanks for all the great personal info guys, its good to mull this all over before I make a move! If I can get the sparco fighter, I'm REALLY leaning toward that but we shall see. For my height I'm pretty spindly, I've got long legs so I don't envision helmet clearance being an issue since I'll probably be sitting farther back than your average 5'10" guy. What do you guys think about the possibility of not mounting the seat on sliders? The bracketry is going to likely all be custom anyway. In any case it will be a while before I track the car with these seats in there since I need to get the harness/half cage situation figured out first.
Old 02-21-2014 | 09:09 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Just picked up a brand new Sprint V. It fits me really well and seems comfortable enough for street use. I'm pretty happy. I had the chance to also buy a Corbeau Forza but passed on it as I've heard the sparco is a much better seat and that the forza is pretty uncomfortable and built for larger guys than the sprint. Thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Sparco sprint V seat