Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fitting gtx 3071 with tial v band housing uk Rhd

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting gtx 3071 with tial v band housing uk Rhd

After nearly getting kkk housing machined to fit gtx 3071 i was offered a new unused gtx 3071 with both 0.63 and 0.82 tial housing.

Which housing would you fit? Currently still on stock clucth so I'm thinking 0.63 till I can hold the extra power off 0.82

Iv having 3" exhuast made up at the same time. Was just getting the exhaust made up to the stock discharge pipe and fitting the gtx myself at a later date. Due to snapping stud on the discharge pipe and talks off removing the turbo to get out the reminder off the studs, with the gtx in the post I decided to just get everything done in one go. Only slight issue is iv had to leave everything in the faith off the shop doing the work. Not really an issue but does mean I can see for myself if some off my ideas would have worked or not.

The gtx has a 4" anti surge housing which I under stand can case clearance issues with the stock autonator.

As I'm have crossover and discharge pipe made to suit and the turbo mount needs to be modded. I wondered how much extra room for play would created by replacing the turbo mount with n/a version and by passing the oil drain with one hose and creating a turbo support from the chra or compressor housing.

Shop has sent me a pic off a replacment engine mount made from fia cd roll cage stuff. This has opened up some more space.

Now what iv often wondered is why no one has clocked the turbin inlet to face down, removing the 90 deg bend on cross over pipe and creating even more space.

Is there anything to gain from moving the turbo slight back towards the rear, creating a straighter discharge pipe straighter cross over up pipe. And possible a straight compersor inlet to clear the autonator and underside off the intake and trottle body? Car is Rhd so no steering shaft in the way

Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 09:32 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get a smaller compressor wheel to clear the alternator. It will fit your existing setup.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Yeah, can get 3" comperser cover. Not sure if the anti surge is needed or reducer to 3" then from there. Thing is they all ready made a new engine to subframe mount. Just wondered why know ones clocked the turbine housing to face down on v band set up.

Any leak issues with the v bands? Been hearing some horror story's.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check my thread (in sig) I've got a GTX3076R in my car. IICR i was the first to install a GTX series turbo on a 944 turbo.

I've got the stock alternator still. I do have the 4" compressor inlet too. But i've got a 3 inch reducer to go to the MAF. There is 0 loss in doing that as the standard housing is 3" and that extra inch is for the anti surge.

Clocking the turbine housing so the inlet is down will make it harder to install and remove using Vbands. Think about installing the vband clamp onto the turbo.
If you put the turbo further back towards the firewall, there's less room for a down pipe.

And for you, i'd put the .82 housing on. The .63 with such a small turbo will spool to quick and surge.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Better off running a twin scroll housing than a tial, particularly rhd.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thingo
Better off running a twin scroll housing than a tial, particularly rhd.
Why? Isn't the turbo small enough for a single scroll housing to achieve quick spool ect?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Why? Isn't the turbo small enough for a single scroll housing to achieve quick spool ect?
Well I guess it depends what you call quick spool. I like a responsive car myself.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I went from wanting some good response to far from that. Mainly to do with part availability at the time.

When TiAL bring out a twin scroll housing version of their housings, like garretts, Then i'll go that way
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM
t3rra
Instructor

Thanks for the replys. Currently I'm not looking for more then 400 hp and quick as poss spool up time, would like to macth my 26/8

Which I think it should. Will the surge be an issue or only on low boost? Should I make as much space for the 4" to help battle against surge?

What sort off spool would you predict? 26/8 makes 1 bar at 2.8 in 5th

Thanks for the heads up on the v band clamps. Just wondered if anyone gave it any thought or just mimic stock set up
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by t3rra
Thanks for the replys. Currently I'm not looking for more then 400 hp and quick as poss spool up time, would like to macth my 26/8
What boost are you planning to run ?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
t3rra
Instructor

18/21 psi maybe a bit more
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

What computer, chips are you running?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
t3rra
Instructor

http://www.augmentautomotive.co.uk/augtronic
Standalone ecu with map

80lb injectors
High flow fuel pump
3" exhulst
Stage 1 intercooler
Tial waste gate
Apexi ebc

I was using the adptours on the tial b4 but I'm going to use correct flanges. Which way round is the best way to plum in the waste gate read a few mixed views.
Currently in the stock orination in the side out the bottom
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I don't think you'll need to get 4" from the turbo to the airfilter.
I have mine reduced to 3" to the MAF.
I don't think you'll need to worry about it.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 AM
t3rra
Instructor

Thanks got a reducer, removed cover to autonator like you have ? Looks that way from the pics anyway

Quick Reply: Fitting gtx 3071 with tial v band housing uk Rhd