Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many people leave thier 951 stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many people leave thier 951 stock?

The car I recently bought ('89) is stock as can be.
The more I look at them, the less bone stockers I see out there. I can see the allure of mods(go fast)for sure!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me be the first to tell you.

Don't touch it!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree, touch it all over the place! Just know that once you do, it will never, ever stop. Its a completely incurable addiction that will only stop when you die or run out of money.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 AM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to resist modding turbocharged vehicles by their nature.
Most can easily be bumped up a few psi for a noticeable power increase
Then you get a nice bigger exhaust to free up the turbo some and get a nice tone

Next thing you know you're dropping thousands of dollars on turbos and custom pieces and with every mod you're making the car less and less reliable until you have something thats fast as hell but you're always turning down the radio thinking you heard something bad coming from the engine bay
Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Its hard to resist modding turbocharged vehicles by their nature.
Most can easily be bumped up a few psi for a noticeable power increase
Then you get a nice bigger exhaust to free up the turbo some and get a nice tone

Next thing you know you're dropping thousands of dollars on turbos and custom pieces and with every mod you're making the car less and less reliable until you have something thats fast as hell but you're always turning down the radio thinking you heard something bad coming from the engine bay
Yep. Right here.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
you have something thats fast as hell but you're always turning down the radio thinking you heard something bad coming from the engine bay
Quoted for the absolute, purest truth.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Kris H
Instructor

+1000 paulyy

It will be as reliable as it gets and of one thing you will be sure: If you leave it stock, say goodbye to depreciation - in time it will increase its value by far. For the very reason, that there are next to no stock 951s in mint condition and each year more and more get modified.

edit: the remaining ones get modified ..or totalled. As for the modifications - i don't believe you would stop. It's very addictive.. and "doing it reversibly" is rather an excuse which leads to unreversible changes, or at least not keeping the original parts (for example exhaust - kinda inconvenient to store at home). Save the breed - keep it stock.

Last edited by Kris H; 01-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
leave it stock, say goodbye to depreciation
+1

If you do mod it, mod things that are easily reversible back to stock, and restore everything to showroom standards.

Perfect condition stock car is like money in the bank. Except there is no inflation.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Mine is bone stock. If yours is a very good example, I would leave it stock as well. If it has had any issues that would prevent it from being perfect (prior collision damage, rust, prior mods gone wrong) then have at it.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You guys constantly looking at gauges or keeping an ear wide open in fear of anything going wrong probably have not spent enough time datalogging your engines to gain the confidence that everything may actually be working as it should (!).
Granted that going down the road of heavy mods can be an expensive, long and tortuous journey that will justify investing in a few gauges, but reaching a satisfying balance between performance and reliability stays within the reach of everyone doing their homework.

Back to the original question, the only cars I would leave completely stock would be those in garage queen condition, ones that are so clean that I would feel bad not taking the wheels off to clean them after each drive.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
You guys constantly looking at gauges or keeping an ear wide open in fear of anything going wrong probably have not spent enough time datalogging your engines to gain the confidence that everything may actually be working as it should (!).
Granted that going down the road of heavy mods can be a tortuous journey that will justify investing in gauges, but reaching a satisfying balance between performance and reliability stays within the reach of everyone doing their homework.

Back to the original question, the only cars I would leave completely stock would be those in garage queen condition, ones that are so clean that I would feel bad not taking the wheels off to clean them after each drive.
Correct you are. i have no issues with my engine. no matter what i put it through. when i did have issues, i ironed them out. Mine is far from stock and i drive it daily, do 3 hour + trips with it. Take it to the mountains ect.
you just don't throw parts onto it with accounting other bits.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

I agree with the leaving it stock idea but... My 89 has low miles <40K and I do drive it, so I went the update it for drivability route. Exhaust and an M-Tune and a new wastegate. Nothing I could not remove and return to stock.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have self control, go on and do some basic mods. All of the mods on my car are easly reversible and I have all the stock parts except the cat back. I will say that my car is much faster and enjoyable with the light mods it has now.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I told myself I'd only go with basic mods when I first bought it...
Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

I told my self to bring the car back to stock, then drove a stock one, and I said: Hell no! im modding the ****s out of mine!

Quick Reply: How many people leave thier 951 stock?