Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tempting '89 951 on CL

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

And there was no more rainbow interiors in non S models.

I love leather burgundy interior, but this cloth is a little bit over the top.. What were they thinking.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Only the 88 silver rose turbo S's came with that interior. My 88 Turbo S was guards red with the tan leather interior.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally like the funky plaid interior. It's not for everybody though...but gave the car character.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A little on the late side for me on the debate of the rising or not rising value of the 951's, but I do believe they will rise in price. I'm only talking about relatively unmolested versions of course. Why? Because 911's are going out of site in their pricing. And 911's are by no means low production cars. For example, if you look at some of the Benz's that were not valuable 10 years ago, their prices are now rising rapidly. The reason is the really collectable Benz's models have skyrocketed in price and because people who want a vintage Benz still want one but cant afford the really collectable ones, they start moving down the model chain of desirability just to get there feet in the game. This new demand on older unmolested models and the skyrocketing cost of the really desirable models brings the price up. I believe 911's will do the same for the 944, and for the 914 for that matter. Again, unmolested originals will fetch the most of course.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 951s

The 1988 and 1989 are 951S spec. The 1988 known publicly as 944 turbo S and the 1989 known as 944 turbo. But internal designation as 951s spec for both as they are mechanically the same and different from all preceding 951 cars.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default burgundy cloth

So I've always found this link interesting. .http://944turbo.net/?page_id=54 as well as its link to the 944 turbo s brochure for prospective buyers. The brochure he links to spells out the original intent.

The original factory run of 1988 turbo s only came with the silver rose and cloth seats, period, and this is spelled out in the brochure. No more S cars were to be produced over the cap to maintain exclusivity, and there were no additional paint or interior options. Porsche changed their mind later in the year and took the ceiling off the 944 turbo S production. When they did this, they offered the 1988 with more interior and paint options.

What I don't know is if you could still order a 1988 turbo s with the original silver rose paint and plaid cloth seats in the second half of 1988.

Does anyone have a 1988 951s with silver rose and plaid seats and a production number higher than 1000? Does anyone have a 1988 951s with another paint and/Or interior with production number less than 1000?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to check out the car and test drive it today.
The following are my impression:

1. The steering felt heavy and there are all kinds of leaks in the power steering system. Especially below the power steering reservoir.

2. The brakes needed more foot pressure to bite and saw that the fluid was extremely dirty so who knows when this was done.

3. The coolant level was low and the expansion tank was dirty. Once more coolant was added and I was revving the engine, I noticed some foaming and sporadic small bubbles in the expansion tank. Not sure if that could be a failing head gasket. The car idled for 10-15 minutes with ambient temperature of about 44F and the coolant temp was steady at the bottom mark and the fans did not have to turn on. I think that is a good sign. When I was driving the car no cooling issues were observed.

4. The engine lifters were ticking noticeably but that could be considered normal....I guess.

5. The clutch felt well and springy.

6. The car was accelerating smoothly and the boost did not go over 15psi on the aftermarket gauge. It has a manual boost controller that just needs to be connected. The lines are already run.

7. The shifter felt tight but a bit hard to manipulate which might be something simple in my experience.

8. There is an oil leak from what I think it the front cam seal.

9. The oil pressure needle was pegged above 5 bar but the owner said that he had replace the oil pressure sender with a cheap aftermarket one which appears to be not the correct one.

10. Everything in the interior was working as it should. The toolkit was missing the leather bag but most of the tools were there. The spare and jack was there but no compressor. No owner's manual books either.

11. The sun visors were hanging and could not be tucked up and the shifter leather boot is torn. The car audio was aftermarket but working.

12. Exterior was about 9/10 with normal stone chips. The paint is still shiny. All lights were working and it had Hella H4 conversion done, unless that is standard for that model. One fog light had a small hole in it and had more wear that the other.

13. Suspension felt good and the castor block looked fine.

14. There must be an exhaust leak somewhere as it was noticeable in the cockpit at idle.

15. The exhaust is a nice piece of work by Fabspeed. It looks like 3" stainless from the exhaust manifold all the way back. It sounded nice!

I expected a bit better maintenance since the owner is a mechanic but on the other hand he had admitted that his intention was to convert it to a LS1. Additionally, he does not appear to be familiar with these cars. I brought up my major concerns to him but in all honesty I prefer a price break and I can address the issues myself.

All in all, I still want the car but more on the fence for that price, especially if it has a head gasket issue.
My friend and I can fix everything on it but it ill still cost me time and money.

What is the feedback of the turbo fanatics based on my notes?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd kill somebody to own a set of those plaid silver rose seats! So 80's!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:08 AM
TurnerJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good notes! All the issues seem pretty minor, and it sounds like the car is nice and tight. When you added the coolant, did you bleed it?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurnerJ
Good notes! All the issues seem pretty minor, and it sounds like the car is nice and tight. When you added the coolant, did you bleed it?
No, I just added about 1/2 quart of coolant to raise the level so I can see if any bubbles are coming out.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

There's nothing more expensive than a poorly maintained car. This one sounds poorly maintained. Unless you're getting it for a very good deal, I'd pass on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-944-I...item3a8a289746

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the description above; I'd negotiate and buy it. Good deal.

Quick Reply: Tempting '89 951 on CL