Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with GM MAP and IAT sensors--megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure that is a valid way to fix the issue, I have both a set of matched 80# injectors and a set of stock. I'm currently trying to set the car up with the stock injectors (so I can quickly get it running with the DME if need be). Megasquirt should know exactly how long to keep the injectors open, I'm not convinced its a fueling issue. If that was the case, wouldnt it richen up and run when I gave it throttle? You are definitely right though that when setting the MAP up like a 3 bar, it reads high and therefore definitely injects more fuel than it would when the MAP is properly calibrated. Maybe I'm wrong. How lean is lean enough to stall the car from a smooth idle?

edit: I'm wondering now if it has something to do with my injector control scheme. The new flash of MS2X 3.3.1 doesnt appear to support low Z injectors and PWM..I don't want to switch to the 80# High Z ones because then it wont run on the DME. Maybe I should try and flash to 3.3.0?

Double edit: There is definitely something screwy with the 3.3.1 firmware. The microsquirt definition file contained within does not have functioning injector controls. The actual MS2 board definition file seems better, the injector controls work but the spark outputs are wrong, instead of listing ign1 it lists the two injector output pins one would normally find on a standard MS2 board. I'm going to try running it anyway, I set the spark output to JS10 which is the onboard equivalent to the ign1 pin found on the surface mount microsquirt board. My injector settings for the stock injectors are .85ms dead time, 30% PWM current limit, 1ms peak time, with a 50 microsecond "hold" pulsewidth frequency. Just for ****s and giggles, I added in 5% fuel in the cells that lay between 40 and 70 KPa and 800-1200 rpm. If part of my issue is a fueling issue, that should help.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 01-05-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you posted your SQ file on the MS boards and spoken about the firmware changes?

I will be attempting to run a 32V on the Microsquirt soon.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

No I havnt, I actually really hate the MS forums because everything needs to be moderator approved and I've posted 4 different threads asking very specific and detailed questions in the past, none of which have been approved with no legitimate reason given. I am really starting to hate microsquirt too, the lack of support for it vs regular Megasquirt 2 boards is reeeally stupid. I really wish I had gone with a regular board. You can see my rant about microsquirt Firmware here \/\/\/\/\/\/

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...h-count-2.html

Part of the problem is that since I also somewhat DD my car, I am REALLY trying hard to set it up with stock injectors. There is basically no support in microsquirt for PWM, so low Z injectors just don't work right. Its really starting to aggravate me! I'll probably end up setting the car up running some very old B&G 2.92 code, and then switch over to the latest MS2 extra 3.3.1 release once its all running well.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 01-07-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you decide to use micro squirt over mega squirt?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

What are the thoughts on ms3 pro? Looks like a solid platform..
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
No I havnt, I actually really hate the MS forums because everything needs to be moderator approved and I've posted 4 different threads asking very specific and detailed questions in the past, none of which have been approved with no legitimate reason given. I am really starting to hate microsquirt too, the lack of support for it vs regular Megasquirt 2 boards is reeeally stupid. I really wish I had gone with a regular board. You can see my rant about microsquirt Firmware here \/\/\/\/\/\/

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...h-count-2.html

Part of the problem is that since I also somewhat DD my car, I am REALLY trying hard to set it up with stock injectors. There is basically no support in microsquirt for PWM, so low Z injectors just don't work right. Its really starting to aggravate me! I'll probably end up setting the car up running some very old B&G 2.92 code, and then switch over to the latest MS2 extra 3.3.1 release once its all running well.
I had no idea that they were moderating that way. On all the MS sites? MS extra? I have not posted recently but when I did it was not checked by a moderator.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I have a Microsquirt V3 I believe. It can be cross wired to support enough i/o to do batch fire ignition and injection for a V8 so that what I wanted to do. I have high Z 72lb injectors so I was hoping it would be straight forward.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

The issue is I would like to try the 100-1 wheel on the S3 32V since those are the types I have in new and used versions. If I have to get the 60-2 it will give me one less clutch set to use in tests. Its not really even 100-1. Its 98 teeth and then two of different shapes. I was thinking of cutting off certain teeth or bring down the teeth count to a good factor number but less total teeth.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Why did you decide to use micro squirt over mega squirt?
It was a combination of factors, but mostly I did it because I had a pipe dream of getting it to work with the stock VR sensor setup since the V3 microsquirt have has native support for dual VR inputs. which no other MS2 setup has. I also like the fact that its water proof and its very small footprint. Seriously...microsquirt is insanely tiny, you could mount it anywhere. The final and probably most important reason though was that due to the way all the pins are wired into a nice clean 35 pin plug, I was able to route all the wires into a gutted DME box to make it plug and play without having to cut a single wire in my stock harness. This makes the car "dual boot" I can switch between running the DME and MS just by swapping the trigger wheel plug for the stock speed sensor plug, swapping in the DME in cabin, and plugging in the AFM. It all takes me less than 30 seconds to switch back and forth.

As for MS3, it is VERY solid and has a really impressive feature list that rivals something like motec. Its a great deal for an awesome EMS system, but it was out of my budget and had lots of features I didn't need.

BC, I am also using semi sequential fueling and hope to go to LS2 COP with wasted spark in the near future. On a 4 cylinder with a cam sensor, microsquirt V3 also supports full sequential fuel. I tried to use my start ring gear which has 132 teeth, it was a total failure. You will not be able to get the 100-1 wheel to work because microsquirt simply cant deal with a toothed wheel with that many teeth. The more teeth the relector wheel has, the less fine the resolution is. It was actually pretty funny, microsquirt couldnt tell how fast the engine was turning even at cranking speeds because the teeth passed by so fast, I was seeing 9000+ rpm at cranking lol! Truthfully it even has a hard time dealing with a 60-2 wheel unless you add resistors to the VR+ wire to reduce noise. I tried lots of different setups and couldnt get anything to work except a 36-1 wheel on the front of the crank. You will likely have to do the same thing.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S

BC, I am also using semi sequential fueling and hope to go to LS2 COP with wasted spark in the near future. On a 4 cylinder with a cam sensor, microsquirt V3 also supports full sequential fuel. I tried to use my start ring gear which has 132 teeth, it was a total failure. You will not be able to get the 100-1 wheel to work because microsquirt simply cant deal with a toothed wheel with that many teeth. The more teeth the relector wheel has, the less fine the resolution is. It was actually pretty funny, microsquirt couldnt tell how fast the engine was turning even at cranking speeds because the teeth passed by so fast, I was seeing 9000+ rpm at cranking lol! Truthfully it even has a hard time dealing with a 60-2 wheel unless you add resistors to the VR+ wire to reduce noise. I tried lots of different setups and couldnt get anything to work except a 36-1 wheel on the front of the crank. You will likely have to do the same thing.
Well Crap. 10 years and they have not seemed to move past this issue on most of the hardware. I may still use the flywheel but obviously I will have to arrange for some other reluctor wheel. With the supercharger there it may be difficult.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Part of the issue is the resolution of your typical VR sensor. A hall sender is much cleaner/more accurate and with come careful planning and circuit engineering you may be able to get a 100 tooth flywheel to work with one. I just know there is absolutely no way to make it work with a VR sender.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If you were seeing 9k rpm at cranking speed I would guess that you were seeing mostly noise and not teeth!
Cranking speed is usually about 250rpm - with a 132 tooth flywheel that is 550 teeth per second. If you can't read that you will certainly have a problem with other trigger wheels - a 60 tooth wheel at 6k rpm is 6000 teeth per second - over ten times what you are having a problem with now!!

The last time I tires to use a stock Porsche sensor on a S2 flywheel (60 tooth) the noise was really bad.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM
kghaas
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts

Dougs951S

Do you have a pic of your MAP sensor?
I fired up my Microsquirt V3 yesterday(on a Ford Duratec engine) and the MAP sensor is all over the place. I have the custom values for my sensor, but it is not correct.

When I "faked" the MAP values it started and ran fine.

Still looking to solve the problem...

EDIT: Solved
Had mixed up two wires. Cut and soldered. Now works perfect

Last edited by kghaas; 03-06-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Car is up and running, I can answer some questions now about what it took to get the thing driving. Decided to start another thread concerning tuning. Thanks gentleman!

Last edited by Dougs951S; 04-16-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Problems with GM MAP and IAT sensors--megasquirt