rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I will get some later and post.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to update everyone, I updated to the latest MSII extra 3.3.1 firmware and everything works perfectly now! MAT, Coolant temp, and air/fuel ratio, and MAP are all reading perfectly now. Everything looks great. I havn't started it up yet since updating and redoing my ignition and fuel maps because my battery is dead and charging and its pretty cold out and I'm a wussy. Just thought ya'll would like to know that all my troubles were from corrupted firmware. If my current trigger wheel is good, the car should run tomorrow. If not, my goingsuperfast bolt on trigger wheel is in the mail; stay tuned folks.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Question for you other successful megasquirt guys. I know it is fairly common when using a 60-2 trigger wheel to have to put a 10k or 20k resistor inline on the positive side of the VR sensor input in order to prevent synch losses and inability to rev past a certain rev range due to excessive noise in the signal. Is this something that needs to be done when using a 36-1 wheel? I went out today and bought half a dozen each 1/2 watt 10k and 5.6k resistors, and I'm wondering if its worth it to figure out which wire is the positive and then experiment with different resistors being wired in line. For the 60-2 guys who experienced this issue, I've heard resistor values that solved the issue ranging from 5k all the way to 30k.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Sorry to keep bumping this thread to the top, I'm just trying to keep a clean record of what I've tried so far in one place both for my own reference and for any future squirters.

It seems recent builds of MS2 firmware have some serious glitches which may make it unusable depending on your setup. Mostly the issues surround injector control logic and the ability or lack thereof to properly setup PWM (peak and hold) control if you are running low Z injectors. Most of the issues are only present in the microsquirt definition of these releases and in most cases they would work fine on a normal MS2 board. So far I have found:

MS2 extra serial 3.2.1 has broken Negative coefficient temperature sensor code.

MS2 extra 3.3.0 supports injector PWM in the microsquirt build, but the release code and matching definition file are not available anywhere online anymore as they have been superceded by the 3.3.1 release.

MS2 extra 3.3.1 does not support fuel injector PWM in the microsquirt build, but it does work in the regular MS2 board release.

MS2 B&G 3.110 actually does have working injector PWM controls in the microsquirt build, but the matching definition file to flash the hardware does not exist anywhere on the internet because it has been superceded by the 3.430 release

MS2 B&G 3.430 does not support injector PWM in the microsquirt build, but it does work for a MS2 board.

MS2 B&G 3.770 does not support injector PWM in the microsquirt build, does work for a MS2 board.

MS2 B&G 3.830 supports injector PWM in the microsquirt build but the current build is completely unusable/glitched in a microsquirt. The MS2 and sequencer board releases appear to function perfectly.

Soooooo...that is 6 different versions of the MS2 firmware from two different development teams that have failed to work for me. Most of the incompatibility seems to stem from the fact that apparently it is difficult to find firmware for the microsquirt that supports PWM. I honestly wish at this point I had gone with a regular MS2 board and not a microsquirt. The damn thing doesnt have the type of support it really needs. Of course this could all be solved by me simply dropped in my 80# high z injectors, but then of course the car wouldnt run on the DME...I'm just waiting to get the microsquirt working well enough that the car starts and revs cleanly to redline/is driveable before I swap in the new injectors.

I just flashed my microsquirt to MS2 B&G 2.920, which loaded properly. The injector PWM, trigger wheel decoder, and temp sensor code all appears to work so this may be the firmware I will be forced to run. I'm a bit bummed I can't get a newer version of the B&G code or any extra code to work since it really adds a lot of features and the older, B&G (non extra) release of 2.92 is rather outdated in comparison. The 2.92 release is very basic, I basically just have EGO control, air temp based ignition retard, cold start advance, cold start enrichment and acceleration enrichment, basic rev limiter, and 12x12 fuel/spark tables.

SUPER EDIT BECAUSE I'M DUMB AND CAN'T READ: Apparently the issue is hardware microsquirt V2 hardware supports PWM but the much improved V3 hardware I am running DOES NOT. Stock injectors (or any low Z injector when trying to run more than 1 injector per cylinder bank) + Microsquirt = no worky. Guess that will teach me to

Looks like the car is going to be running the 80# high Z injectors and the super swanky MS2X 3.3.1 firmware afterall! I Feel REALLY dumb.

One final note concerning the durability of the stock injectors. I'm impressed by their ability to handle my mistreatment without failure, I idled the car for about an hour several times and also drove it ~ a mile or so; the entire time unknowingly running peak and hold injectors using a saturated type driver. The only thing I noticed in retrospect that should have told me something was wrong was that I noticed ( or think I noticed ) more injector noise while the car was idling vs when its running correctly on the DME.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 01-07-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Grinding a slightly offcenter reluctor wheel? Megasquirt losing teeth count