Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Payment sent, thanks Alan!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:30 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Yes, I have one left. Sending you a pm...
You should make more. I had to modify mine a little but well worth any trouble with the fitment issues. Much better then a firewall plate!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

If you can get the fitment issues sorted, have you approached any of the big 4 online sellers about carrying these for you? Pull a Josh and have someone else worry about distribution and support?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I correct in my understanding that the slight fitment issues relate to the turbo cars only? Seems the V8 guys have reported no trouble?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:57 AM
Red944ls1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Thought I'd post this up in case any of you high HP 951 guys with heavy clutches need one. I designed this for my v8 swap as a preventative measure (don't have any cracks yet, but I've heard it's just a matter of time).

If you haven't heard of the firewall cracking problem, here's my understanding... some cars (mostly ones with heavier clutches fitted) have developed cracks in the firewall around the clutch master cylinder due to the extra force exerted. I've seen a whole lot of crazy looking solutions to this that look only marginally effective. I wanted something cleaner looking and more of a bolt-on than weld-in.

Anyone who's interested in trying one, let me know. I am waiting on the fabricator's quotes right now. Figured I'd start with just a couple first to test fit them in a couple cars I'm working on. They will be laser cut from 13 gauge steel, press broken, welded seams, and then powder coated. I'm guessing they will cost about $150 each in quantity? **UPDATE** Price is $99 + shipping **

The basic idea is that it goes between the firewall and the MC, and the other end wedges up against the very sturdy strut tower. Optionally, a couple holes could be drilled to bolt it to the strut tower or through the wheel well. **UPDATE: After test fitting the prototypes, I do not believe that any drilling into the strut tower or wheel well will be necessary. The bracket feels very secure in its position against the strut tower. I plan to install it with just a layer of silicone between the bracket and the strut tower to prevent any marring of the surface from vibration during driving.**

where can I get one of these?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

anybody have one of these braces available and ready to ship ASAP?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL, dude, drill a shallow divot in the end of the master cylinder as a locator, make up a small bracket that bolts to anything solid like the side of the strut tower with a threaded adjustment bolt & lock nuts and rounded tip to fit in your master divot.

Duck soup.

T
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot...

I am familiar with that type of brake MC brace, I have one for my Subaru...
Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot...

I am familiar with that type of brake MC brace, I have one for my Subaru...
If you're holding the master cylinder, you're holding the firewall....

You'd have to have a pretty split firewall for this to not help the clutch too.

I'm down though...., made a custom one off doubling plate for clutch master on a 968 once.

Just take it all apart, it'll be obvious what you need to do once you are looking at it head on.

T
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I see what you're saying...funny as I had thought about making that type of brace for my 944 too.

I just noticed the other day that my clutch MC moves visibly when the pedal is pushed, and I'm going to be swapping it out in a few days so "while I'm in there"...
Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

By the way -

T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot..
I don't have time to read....just post...

I see what you're saying...funny as I had thought about making that type of brace for my 944 too.

I just noticed the other day that my clutch MC moves visibly when the pedal is pushed, and I'm going to be swapping it out in a few days so "while I'm in there"...
IIRC, there's a gasket there, I just made a rough 1/8" sheet using that, extended rough on the left side where I could tailor fit it to the inner wheel house and welded it to there and firewall.

It's scary how much the FW flexes if you get somebody to just go mash hard on the brakes (like in a race condition) even when the FW is perfectly intact with zero issues.

T
Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What a coincidence, I just finished installing the Only944 Firewall brace on my car yesterday.
https://www.only944.com/partscatalog...firewallbrace/
My firewall cracked a couple months ago. The telltale sign was the clutch engagement point kept moving lower and lower, it got to the point where it was difficult to shift. I've been using the same clutch for 2 years and it always engaged right off the floor. Now that the firewall brace is installed the engagement point has come up higher. It's firm enough for me to adjust the engagement point where I want it, plus I can adjust the resting position a little lower for better pedal feel. Yes the brake pedal feels firmer, too.
The instructions for the firewall brace are good, but here's a few tips- I replaced some of the hardware in the kit with flanged bolts to spread the load over a larger surface area. I also upgraded the stock brake booster mounting nuts to flange head nuts with fender washers, again, to spread the load over a larger area. Also, it can be difficult to install some of the bolts under the dash, especially when a bolt needs to have two washers stacked on it, so use something sticky like Teflon paste and glue the washers to the bolt. Then they won't fall off.
I'm very happy to have my car back on the road!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM
richardk
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vt951, Have a 93 968 and i have a firewall crack below the clutch master cylinder. I Sure hope you have some left. I defiantly would like to buy one! What do i need to do?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by richardk
vt951, Have a 93 968 and i have a firewall crack below the clutch master cylinder. I Sure hope you have some left. I defiantly would like to buy one! What do i need to do?
Would you like to test a new version I'm working on for cars that have the vacuum brake booster and OE clutch master cylinder? I don't have them made yet, so it will be a little while.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

^^interested...any ETA?

Quick Reply: Clutch Master Firewall Reinforcement