Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013 | 01:11 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts
Default memorable 944 turbo members Atte Mod

Can we have a sticky for those who have memorable accomplishments over the past years, people like the Buchanan Bros, Patrick, Sid, refresh951 etc etc. This will be strictly four (4) cyl only the vgay guys have their own.

suggestions ?????
Old 12-05-2013 | 05:19 PM
jg951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellente Idea !
Old 12-05-2013 | 05:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

second that
Old 12-06-2013 | 02:35 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Disregarding anything I'd have to add personally, I'd be up for this anyway. I remember when I first joined Rennlist and it was quite different back then. There was more banter and more interest on some of the amazing cars that we'd see featured in here and elsewhere. Seeing the creations of Woody Wiess, Orca, Bob Norwood and other uber cars made me stare in wonderment. I wished that these guys would contribute about their cars and experiences. We were drip fed snippets of hushed information and they took on a myth like status.

Now we have access to the current batch of Super 951s like Duke's, Tony G's, Sid's leading 1/4 mile efforts, Sean and Shawn's great big bore builds, Thom and Tom's awesome 3Ltrs and a host of others which I could mention. The thing that I find kind of strange is that there seems to be way less interest in this level of car than when I first joined back in 2006. In those days if anyone made mere mention of a 2.7Ltr or bigger build it went into at least a 20 page thread. Nowadays we have access to quite a decent amount of really amazing cars with current and active members and yet there seems to be a brief peak of interest in the thread, often buoyed by the same guy's questions and then it just drops off to be forgotten.

Maybe I'm just getting too old and jaded. I love reading and seeing pics and videos of the abovementioned cars and I hope we have many more contributions from these guys. It would be a shame for these guys to just drop off the 'List through lack of interest. I can assure you that they put a LOT of time and effort into their cars and driving and we all should take advantage of them while they're still around.
Perhaps the younger guys are more interested in drifting and '3 honk' street racing....
Old 12-06-2013 | 03:33 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Patrick, i'm one of those younger guys (24) but i can really say that i'm not interested in drifting.
BUT; you are right! When i'm lookin around at friends, most of them are just interested in drifting or dragracing and are not interested in extreme builds! And to be honest; most guys of my age are just not interested in cars or anything technical. Everyone is interested in partying, women and computers.. When i'm looking at the 944 forum from the Netherlands, almost 90% of the cars are owned by guys of at least 35+, 5% of the guys below that age have lots of money and have the maintenance done, and than there is the 5% that does all of it themselves. And than again; i'm the only guy in Holland who dares to do this kind of build for a street car..

Ofcourse i agree to start this topic!
Old 12-06-2013 | 05:12 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The banter has indeed completely vanished.

Some people who went over the deep end modifying their cars may have just moved onto other priorities as life got in the way, and the impersonality of on-screen means of communication, that have widely increased in the last ten years, probably means people are no more willing to spend much time online for banter.

It also seems to me that 95% of the topics 95% people are interested in have been covered - the wealth of information in the archives speaks for itself, and any 951 virgin with a bit of mechanical good sense and ready to spend tens of hours searching through older threads should be able to make enough of an educated guess to build himself an awesome car, as most suppliers of genuinely good ready-to-fit aftermarket parts are thankfully still around.

As for the remaining 5% topics after which 5% people are still looking for answers, may these keep forever undisclosed as to keep the 951 flame alive and keep questers faithfully marching towards the 951 Truth... but where are my pills now, i'm talking like someone from the Vatican...
Old 12-06-2013 | 05:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Well Patrick, i'm one of those younger guys (24) but i can really say that i'm not interested in drifting.
BUT; you are right! When i'm lookin around at friends, most of them are just interested in drifting or dragracing and are not interested in extreme builds! And to be honest; most guys of my age are just not interested in cars or anything technical. Everyone is interested in partying, women and computers.. When i'm looking at the 944 forum from the Netherlands, almost 90% of the cars are owned by guys of at least 35+, 5% of the guys below that age have lots of money and have the maintenance done, and than there is the 5% that does all of it themselves. And than again; i'm the only guy in Holland who dares to do this kind of build for a street car..

Ofcourse i agree to start this topic!
Good for you Bas!
It's not that I don't admire aspects of drifting. It's actually very skillful. Have I raced on the street, sure I have. Never got much of a kick from straightline stuff though. Give me corners, gearchanges and braking. I look at 85% of the kids at World Time Attack with their uniforms on (read Tatts, Flat brim caps, those stupid big hole earlobe rings etc) and shake my head...but I was young too and did stupid things so it's just the cycle of life.

Glad you're doing the build. You'll be very happy once done!

Originally Posted by Thom
The banter has indeed completely vanished.

Some people who went over the deep end modifying their cars may have just moved onto other priorities as life got in the way, and the impersonality of on-screen means of communication, that have widely increased in the last ten years, probably means people are no more willing to spend much time online for banter.

It also seems to me that 95% of the topics 95% people are interested in have been covered - the wealth of information in the archives speaks for itself, and any 951 virgin with a bit of mechanical good sense and ready to spend tens of hours searching through older threads should be able to make enough of an educated guess to build himself an awesome car, as most suppliers of genuinely good ready-to-fit aftermarket parts are thankfully still around.

As for the remaining 5% topics after which 5% people are still looking for answers, may these keep forever undisclosed as to keep the 951 flame alive and keep questers faithfully marching towards the 951 Truth... but where are my pills now, i'm talking like someone from the Vatican...
Lol...have you gone to bed yet?? I hear what you're saying though. Sure, much of it has been covered but some of us are still trying to continue to push these cars a little further. It seems like the guys doing this stuff are communicating among each other and not that many others are contacting them, pressing for information and ideas. Guess it's all into the Japanese car scene anyway. Well perhaps not so much in Europe where the Audis, VWs and BM's are the cars of choice for the Modifying crew.

Anyway, I hope we can have a sticky for the really interesting cars in this little corner of the world. Be kinda cool to have a sort of Wiki page with either an Anthology or Chronological organic essay on the modded 944/51/68's from the last 30 years.
Old 12-06-2013 | 06:10 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Great idea Luis. Gets my vote as although my plans for my car are humble I love nothing more than reading about those who push the evelope
Old 12-06-2013 | 08:21 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Maybe we can also have a technical sticky where we place in all the technical special stuff for engine related things? :-)
Old 12-06-2013 | 08:29 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Can we have a sticky for those who have memorable accomplishments over the past years, people like the Buchanan Bros, Patrick, Sid, refresh951 etc etc. This will be strictly four (4) cyl only the vgay guys have their own.

suggestions ?????
Wait a minute...there are Buchanan BROTHERS? Did I miss something??
Old 12-06-2013 | 08:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

"vgay guys"....classic Lartism!
Old 12-06-2013 | 09:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Wait a minute...there are Buchanan BROTHERS? Did I miss something??
They're a 70's wrestling team popular with old ladies. They're still on the club circuit in Mexico.
Old 12-06-2013 | 10:28 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Maybe we can also have a technical sticky where we place in all the technical special stuff for engine related things? :-)
YES PLEASE.

DIY area may be a good place to toss some info too if you guys wouldn't mind. I'll try to add some things too as I do my own upgrades so people don't have to search and search and... well... you know how it is.
Old 12-06-2013 | 11:16 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Luis, first thanks for the mention. I am flattered.

Setting aside any of my post, contributions etc.. I think that this is a good idea. The main reason I can think of is that as time goes, many new members will come along and not have any idea of former builders. The one I can think of off the top of my head is Corleone's. It's a shame that many may not even ever read his build.

When I first arrived on here I did notice a bit of secrecy in regards to sharing information. That definitely pushed me to share (good or bad).

I know there are many that have made memorable contributions along with memorable builds.

I think a good idea is for people to nominate someone for the list by sharing a link and describing what contributions they have made.

I can't link ATM since I'm on my cell.

To start I would nominate Josh I'll link a few threads when I can.
Old 12-06-2013 | 12:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Corleones, Tom M, Darwing, Charles, etc etc there are many, not only those who have created innovations, those who have excel on the track, 1st or 2nd places, those with great builds etc etc, you will be allowed to write about your personal experience, what led you to, the steps provide links and pictures, I am just brain storming, till today I dont believe there is a car that has being underrated as much a the 951.
I know there is a group among us who have been able to prove that building a reliable 4cyl engine is possible, that building a 951 race car to win races is possible.
This will not be about vendors, or selling anything, it will be about individuals that with perseverance, endurance defeated the odds and brought pride to the 951 community..
Let's do it get refresh(mod) to give us a part in the history of rennlist

Quick Reply: memorable 944 turbo members Atte Mod