Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbetufs View Post
Congratulations. Fantastic news.
Please contemplate OBD II codes on the updated version so we can use all the amazing apps that are becoming available
FAR easier said than done!
Certainly, but not really that hard when you don't use it to actually change any settings, only relay information availabe to the DME. It will need some hardware, which can easily be integrated in a new DME. Then it is a matter of chosing a protocol and some coding. Rogue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will take some work though and, if I'm nor mistaken then finding the time to do it is probably the most difficult part for him.

To be honest Rogue, I'm amazed you can find the time to do all the stuff you do. Do you ever get to drive your care these days?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 944 was one of the earliest adopters of the Motronic system. But others soon followed. You might want to see if there is a cluster of cars from other manufacturers who could use this unit. BMW, MB VW etc. It might be a good way to get production quatities up and bring costs down.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Certainly, but not really that hard when you don't use it to actually change any settings, only relay information availabe to the DME. It will need some hardware, which can easily be integrated in a new DME. Then it is a matter of chosing a protocol and some coding. Rogue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will take some work though and, if I'm nor mistaken then finding the time to do it is probably the most difficult part for him.

To be honest Rogue, I'm amazed you can find the time to do all the stuff you do. Do you ever get to drive your care these days?
OBD-II is something I've considered, and could possibly add for a future version. Keep in mind that every part does add up. One of the goals for this DME is to keep costs reasonable.

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
The 944 was one of the earliest adopters of the Motronic system. But others soon followed. You might want to see if there is a cluster of cars from other manufacturers who could use this unit. BMW, MB VW etc. It might be a good way to get production quatities up and bring costs down.
Good point. I am looking at the different possibly cars that use the Motronic.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Moreover, this DME will properly run aftermarket ignition coils (with proper dwell) without any other mods.
I see what you did there.

I'll have to find out more the next time I call you.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robstah
Why?

You could have spent that 2 years working on a Megasquirt PNP daughter board and an excellent tune to go with it. The expansion possibilities behind the Megasquirts are almost endedless these days. Higher resolution, better datalogging including straight to SD, traction control, fan control, and it goes on and on.

And as mentioned here, the wiring harness is next on the deteriorating electric bits of the 944. If that were the case, a nice drop in harness and standalone would be highly recommended.

The 944 community could really use a decent megasquirt following.
Can megasquirt be used in stock class racing? This has a better shot at it.

Although megasquirt would.be.cool.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Rob, I think it is simple, some of us want to keep our cars somewhat stock and this a great option.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

If people want to discuss the merits/pitfalls of Megasquirt, or any setup other than new ECU in this thread, then please start a new thread for that purpose and take it out of here.

This thread is about an upcoming new Rogue Tuning ECU for the 944, and what it entails.
Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

If people want to discuss the merits/pitfalls of Megasquirt, or any setup other than new ECU in this thread, then please start a new thread for that purpose and take it out of here.

This thread is about an upcoming new Rogue Tuning ECU for the 944, and what it entails.
Thanks.
Hell I don't even own a 944 anymore and I think this is cool. Wish it was and 6 years ago.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice work Josh Guess I'll be going for that one instead of the one I have with you. LOL
Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks.

AGREED! Thank you for being direct with this individual. I am not sure what this guy's problem is but based on the other rude and inappropriate comments he has made in response to your threads/posts, he has no credibility with me.

Joshua, Thank you for all of your hard work in helping to optimize our car's performance!!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by robstah
Why? .
Why do you care? Don't you have a V8?

FWIW, I have a MS3 for my street car. But that won't be a race car participating in a class that doesn't allow it. I spend a whole lot more time messing with my race car than all of my others (including my Turbo S, a 66 Bronco, and a 67 GTO) combined.

An MS3 won't help people who just want a relatively simple system that improves reliability above power. It won't help people who race cars in non-GT classes. It won't help people with kids and families and other things in life that wouldn't mind just having their car running while they piece together the remainder of their project. Maybe they'd rather run a MAF so they can keep playing around with changes without having to remap the thing every time they change something, s one has to do with speed-density systems.

There's a time and a place for everything. I think quite highly of the system, or else I wouldn't have built one. But sheesh, why do folks feel it necessary to assume everyone thinks like them, and crap on things that don't appeal to them?

If there's no market for what Joshua has done, then he'll have lost a whole lot of money in what he is doing. But given how well his MAF system was received, I'm inclined to think he knows what he is doing. And that he knows the market. Besides, you've got a V8, what do you care, and what do you know compared to Joshua?

I'm sure there's a market for a plug'n'play 951 application. Jerry and those guys are just in Suwanee, GA, a bit north of Atlanta. Maybe someone in that area who knows the market can develop a plug'n'play MS3 for the 944T, and see what Jerry will do for you.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Hmm, maybe to be able to just replace a DME. I thought you were a smart guy!! After replacing a few early BMW dme's I'd love to be able to order a new one.

Piece of work still I see.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Was not that long ago I was running a MAF that was just black magic at best. I spent a LOT of time trying to get it right to no avail. The alternative to this nightmare MAF was about $3500 (this on a car that when sold might get 7-8K). Then Joshua started selling his M Tune. I will never forget bolting it in and everything just worked. His efforts are GREATLY appreciated.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Robstah, why don't YOU go work on, and finish a Megasquirt PNP daughter board for the 951 and 944 N/A platforms? Then, and only then, will you have some merit on your comments towards Josh and what he's provided to our community.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

So about this new DME replacement...

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!