Old 10-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Perfect explanation thank you. Do you need rogue chips to utilize the wideband input over the altitude sensor? Since they both use 0 to 5 volts?
Yes. The input is just a voltage signal - the software needs to know what to do with it! (and the software is on the removable chip)

Originally Posted by Black51
If you had a rogue DME, why would you want to put a different chip in??
Because I didn't want to force people to use my stuff with the new ECU, I made sure to keep 100% backwards compatibility. So any chip designed for the 944/951 should work in the new ECU.

That said, you won't benefit from any new functionality, such as the WBO2 input without supporting software.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Is the WBO2 input similar in function to how it is without the Rogue DME (ie logging only) or does the software actually use it in closed loop?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Is the WBO2 input similar in function to how it is without the Rogue DME (ie logging only) or does the software actually use it in closed loop?
Logging only...
I haven't settled on a method for detecting WBO2 failures - so I don't trust using WBO2 feedback for AFR correction under moderate / heavy load.

For example, with my LC-1 I've had the WBO2 sensor die. When this happens, the controller reports to the DME/ECU that the AFRs are rich. If I was using WBO2 correction, then the DME would start pulling out fuel erroneously - possibly resulting in an overly lean, and dangerous AFR.
Perhaps a solution is to just limit the allowable adjustment range from WBO2 correction... I'll think about it some more.

Of course there is also the compounding issue of different WBO2 controllers using different AFR vs volt transfer functions. They might have different sensor failure states. They also tend to have different latency as well. Lots of problems for something I'm no convinced would result in a lot of gain.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Answered above
Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Logging only...
I haven't settled on a method for detecting WBO2 failures - so I don't trust using WBO2 feedback for AFR correction under moderate / heavy load.

For example, with my LC-1 I've had the WBO2 sensor die. When this happens, the controller reports to the DME/ECU that the AFRs are rich. If I was using WBO2 correction, then the DME would start pulling out fuel erroneously - possibly resulting in an overly lean, and dangerous AFR.
Perhaps a solution is to just limit the allowable adjustment range from WBO2 correction... I'll think about it some more.

Of course there is also the compounding issue of different WBO2 controllers using different AFR vs volt transfer functions. They might have different sensor failure states. They also tend to have different latency as well. Lots of problems for something I'm no convinced would result in a lot of gain.
Ah, excellent point. I suppose you could try to do some sanity checking against the NBO2 to try to protect against that failure mode but it's still a bit of a risk.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

Ah, excellent point. I suppose you could try to do some sanity checking against the NBO2 to try to protect against that failure mode but it's still a bit of a risk.
That's a solid idea. Just have it read in wb02 then confirm with the nb02 state, if they agree then make a change. And have it default to nb if they don't agree. That way you can use the widebands accuracy with a the safety net of the stock narrowband reading. If the wideband would fail it would just run narrowband because the readings wouldn't match. But I don't know how much gain that would do, if any
Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mahoney944
That's a solid idea. Just have it read in wb02 then confirm with the nb02 state, if they agree then make a change. And have it default to nb if they don't agree. That way you can use the widebands accuracy with a the safety net of the stock narrowband reading. If the wideband would fail it would just run narrowband because the readings wouldn't match. But I don't know how much gain that would do, if any
Yeah he's gotta be careful of failure modes. Folks who pay close attention might catch these issues... but the guy who doesn't know much, but wires it all together in a "set it and forget it" attitude might run into issues 3 years down the road when his WBO2 croaks and doesn't realize it...
Old 10-14-2014, 11:27 AM
tisseenschande
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

impressive stuff. me want.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tune

Josh, I've read all prior posts on this thread but I am still a little confused. Can I use your A tune chips with my stock DME, which ile upgrade later to M tune, and an older MAF setup like a Huntley which uses a Ford MAF? Or do I need to purchase your proprietary MAF to use your chips? don't mean to ask a rhetorical question here just trying to see what I can use VS.what I need to buy. I think MAFS are a big investment and compatability is important.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
Josh, I've read all prior posts on this thread but I am still a little confused. Can I use your A tune chips with my stock DME, which ile upgrade later to M tune, and an older MAF setup like a Huntley which uses a Ford MAF? Or do I need to purchase your proprietary MAF to use your chips? don't mean to ask a rhetorical question here just trying to see what I can use VS.what I need to buy. I think MAFS are a big investment and compatability is important.
The rogue tuning DME is a direct replacement for the factory DME and will work with any chip set including stock.

The A tune is only going to work with the factory AFM.

the M tune will only work with his supplied MAF. I wouldn't bother using any other MAF because the M Tune chip is tuned specifically for his specific MAF.

Re tuning the chip for another MAF is possible but results will vary. And again i wouldn't bother. Probably cost you more time and playing around and tuning the M-tune for another maf then just getting the proper equipment that is already 100% working correctly.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Josh, for a brief period anyway, offered the C-Tune, which was his MAF code but utilized the Ford MAF IIRC. I can't remember the screenname but I recall at least one person here was running it.

I don't know that it's something he's still offering.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Naples, I replied to your email.

Jim, I haven't done C-Tunes for a long time, nor do I have any intention to.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Do you have any rogue dmes in stock ready to ship once the core is received? Or will you convert the one sent to you and send the same one back after its complete? I ask because I'm curious about the turn around time from when you get the core DME as well as the current availability. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
No.

The altitude sensor is just a pressure controlled switch, and has two positions either open or closed. In order to tell if the switch is closed, the DME/ECU needs to apply a voltage to the circuit (via the pull-up resistor), to read if the switch is open or closed.
If the altitude switch is open, then the circuit will remain high (+5v), because the applied voltage doesn't have where to go.
If the altitude switch is closed, then the circuit will be low (+0v), as the switch simply grounds the circuit.

This operation is 100% necessary for cars that still utilize the altitude sensor.

The left switch is simply the selection choice between the system connector and the new expansion plug.
Let say I wanted to hook a WBO2 up, then I would attach the WBO2 0-5 volt analog output to whichever wire dictated by that switch.
Now, if we didn't have the middle switch to turn off the pull-up resistor, it would also be applying +5volts to that wire. This would typically cause the WBO2 0-5 v output to skew towards +5volts... The end effect is that the WBO2 does not read correctly - obviously not what we want.

All the ECU's switches are necessary in order to be as configurable as possible.
Its been awhile but I was curious. So the only time you would disable the alt. Bias is when you're logging wb02 from either the alt comp wire(DME pin 30) or the external port white wire? This is assuming you are using a chip that supports wb02 input.

Since the stock DME does not have a disable alt bias switch. How does the stock DME avoid getting both signals and messing up the wb02 input?

Does having the alt bias switch set to disable in the rogue dme actually disable the DME from using altitude compensation then?

If you are using lr mtune and not using a wb02 input would you need to disable alt bias still or could you leave it enabled?

Last edited by mahoney944; 02-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!