Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NA vs Turbo coolant overflow money saving...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NA vs Turbo coolant overflow money saving...

Bought new tank on ebay for $163 but wasnt paying attention that it is for NA and not turbo. Turbo tank is $350+ and has a hose connection near tab on left. UGH... So, simple solution which saved from returning and paying postage and not spending $350 for a new one?
Used dremel to cut off the hose connection from old tank, drilled hole just a bit larger on new tank and attached using Rapid Fix from Amazon. AMAZING stuff, solid attachment and nobody will know but me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-944...72.m2749.l2649

Why did I want to get a NEW versus used tank? None of the used looked any better than the nasty yellow one I had.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Well we're obviously going to need pics.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Just so you know in future, if you want to buy genuine Porsche parts check the Porsche dealers first, the ones who sell online like Sunset are usually cheaper than third party vendors who sell on eBay or elsewhere. Plus you get a 2 year Porsche warranty on all parts when you buy from Porsche.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Well we're obviously going to need pics.
^ What he said.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Just so you know in future, if you want to buy genuine Porsche parts check the Porsche dealers first, the ones who sell online like Sunset are usually cheaper than third party vendors who sell on eBay or elsewhere. Plus you get a 2 year Porsche warranty on all parts when you buy from Porsche.

That is not the correct tank for TURBO, Turbo has another inlet/outlet not present on NA. Turbo part number is 95110602502

Here is the correct one... picture does not show but on opposite side of the "2" is where it has another hose connection near the mounting tab. I will post photos later this week.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by finally!
That is not the correct tank for TURBO, Turbo has another inlet/outlet not present on NA. Turbo part number is 95110602502...
Yes, yes, I know that. I was just pointing out that sometimes you can buy original parts cheaper directly from Porsche than from third-party vendors and resellers on eBay. You paid $163 on eBay for your na reservoir when Sunset Porsche were selling it for only $123.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Although the NA tank could have been obtained from a Dealership for less $ when viewed against the eBay price paid, the NA from eBay is significantly less expensive than a New Turbo tank regardless of source.

still would like to see a pic or three of the finished product. Welding the Turbo nozzle to the NA tank should be a great solution for those who are looking to refresh the appearance of the engine compartment while preserving their hard earned $.

My thoughts with this approach are 1) is the donor Turbo tank nozzle already brittle from heat exposure that could lead to failure, and 2) after viewing a video regarding the plastic welding - it is obvious the repaired joint can withstand significant pressure - but I don’t recall any demonstration of longevity with respect to the high temperatures such as those in this area being generated by the Turbo.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:38 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Although the NA tank could have been obtained from a Dealership for less $ when viewed against the eBay price paid, the NA from eBay is significantly less expensive than a New Turbo tank regardless of source.

still would like to see a pic or three of the finished product. Welding the Turbo nozzle to the NA tank should be a great solution for those who are looking to refresh the appearance of the engine compartment while preserving their hard earned $.

My thoughts with this approach are 1) is the donor Turbo tank nozzle already brittle from heat exposure that could lead to failure, and 2) after viewing a video regarding the plastic welding - it is obvious the repaired joint can withstand significant pressure - but I don’t recall any demonstration of longevity with respect to the high temperatures such as those in this area being generated by the Turbo.

Ill snap some photos this weekend.

The nozzle seemed pretty sturdy in my view and since OEM it has the sleeve inside the plastic of looks like copper or bronze. Experience of the plastic weld and reviews is it is very robust.

I buy most of my Porsche parts from 928srus.com prices are generally lower than anyone else and their service is top notch.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

looking forward to the pics - 👍
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Not familiar with turbo cooling pump plumbing... why can't you just Tee off the single NA barb?

Doesn't coolant flow from tank to turbo to engine water pump?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 AM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Not familiar with turbo cooling pump plumbing... why can't you just Tee off the single NA barb?

Doesn't coolant flow from tank to turbo to engine water pump?
Interesting idea.. anyone?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 266 Posts

The upper port on the 951 coolant reservoir is a return. There is a flow check inside the tank.
Adding just the nipple to another tank or external tee fittings will not likely allow the system to work as designed.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gage
The upper port on the 951 coolant reservoir is a return. There is a flow check inside the tank.
Adding just the nipple to another tank or external tee fittings will not likely allow the system to work as designed.
Clarks confirms this ^^:

“...When the engine is running, a turbo thermostat opens at 82 °C. The water pump then draws coolant from the expansion tank through the non-running turbo cooling pump and through the turbocharger bearing housing. A check valve in the expansion tank prevents coolant from being drawn from the turbocharger discharge line back to the expansion tank. Otherwise flow would bypass the turbocharger.”

© Clark’s Garage
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Great stuff! Off to sunset to place order

Curious though as looking at old tank and the nipple originally on it, there is no valve or anything else in it.

Last edited by finally!; 02-14-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Here are the online stores for the Porsche dealerships who sell genuine Porsche parts at a discount:

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/
https://parts.porscheofannapolis.com/
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/
https://www.porschesandiegoparts.com/

Sunset is Porsche Beaverton in Oregon, however for the part you want Sonnen is cheapest, details below:

Quick Reply: NA vs Turbo coolant overflow money saving...