944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cracked Exhst Port Ceramic - how bad?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Cracked Exhst Port Ceramic - how bad?

Found this after the headwork was done. Not visble prior to the cleaning. All 4 have some showing, this is the worst one. Nothing loose or flaking yet. Guy at the shop said he has seen worse reinstalled and used. Not sure how long its been like this or how long it will hold together.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Did someone hacked in to Jim's account? usually people ask questions and you respond. I have seen worst from running cars no damage to turbine wheel.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Did someone hacked in to Jim's account? usually people ask questions and you respond. I have seen worst from running cars no damage to turbine wheel.

Nah, I have been working on these cars for a long time, but I think I learn something new or see something Ive never seen before, everytime I turn a wrench.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I haven't dealt with this on a 951 head, but I work at a Porsche shop and we have encountered this on 964 heads a few times. Once we deemed it bad enough that we recommended new heads . . . those aren't cheap!

My worry besides possible turbine damage is that a perfect storm of events could also cause a chunk to get caught in between the exhaust valve and seat. Haven't actually seen this happen but just throwing it out there.

I suppose my answer is, with my shop manager's hat on, I'd say that 951 heads are cheap enough that you should try another, though that is too bad that it wasn't apparent till AFTER the headwork. On my own car I'd run it for a bit and recheck.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you can't just remove all of the ceramic and blend the ports and run the head.

TonyG
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree Tony. Is there any word to what extent the ceramic actually retains heat energy and hastens spool? Or in other words, what would you actually lose running an n/a head or a turbo head with the ceramics gone? My guess is its only a few hundred rpm at most.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

I think this ceramic is there to isolate head from toomuch heat and steam pockets.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Voith
I think this ceramic is there to isolate head from too much heat and steam pockets.
It has nothing to so with heat or steam pockets.

The ceramic liners were used to keep the heat in the exhaust to help spool the turbine faster.

Which is also the same reason the turbo head has the hump on the exhaust port floor (which is to increase the velocity of the exhaust gas).

On the race engines we used the N/A heads which don't have the ceramic nor do they have the hump on the exhaust port floor. This because we could get better exhaust port numbers from the N/A head vs the turbo head. Excess heat was never an issue.

That said, I see no reason why he couldn't just remove all the ceramic and have the exhaust port ridges (where the ceramic meets the aluminum) blended and call it a day.

TonyG
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by TonyG
It has nothing to so with heat or steam pockets.

The ceramic liners were used to keep the heat in the exhaust to help spool the turbine faster.

Which is also the same reason the turbo head has the hump on the exhaust port floor (which is to increase the velocity of the exhaust gas).

On the race engines we used the N/A heads which don't have the ceramic nor do they have the hump on the exhaust port floor. This because we could get better exhaust port numbers from the N/A head vs the turbo head. Excess heat was never an issue.

That said, I see no reason why he couldn't just remove all the ceramic and have the exhaust port ridges (where the ceramic meets the aluminum) blended and call it a day.

TonyG
So are you saying that the higher flow achieved from a worked N/A head vs a worked turbo head is more advantageous than keeping the extra heat in with the liners? I'm preparing to build a big valve head soon, am I better off using an N/A head?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
So are you saying that the higher flow achieved from a worked N/A head vs a worked turbo head is more advantageous than keeping the extra heat in with the liners? I'm preparing to build a big valve head soon, am I better off using an N/A head?
On a stock car, the port flow numbers are fine. So they focused on gas velocity and keeping the heat in the exhaust gas rather than transferring the heat to the cooling system. Which is what you try to do to reduce lag.

But you can't get the exhaust ports to flow big numbers with the design of the 951 exhaust port. That's why we use the N/A head.

So the answer is yes.

TonyG
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a couple of exhaust ports with missing ceramic pieces here and there, runs fine. Turbo is just fine (or was).
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many companies have installed ceramic port liners since the early 90s? The only two cars I know with ceramic port liners are the 951 and late model aircooled cars.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

I have also read that when Porsche put in the plumbing for the turbo they had trouble meeting the regs with regard to getting the cat up to temp quickly enough, with a cold start. The liners helped get more heat down to the cat. So any way you cut it, putting in a N/A head might be the way to go. Transfer those sodium filled exhaust valves from your turbo head to your replacement head. They do represent a heat rejection item that you want to maintain.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by harveyf
I have also read that when Porsche put in the plumbing for the turbo they had trouble meeting the regs with regard to getting the cat up to temp quickly enough, with a cold start. The liners helped get more heat down to the cat. So any way you cut it, putting in a N/A head might be the way to go. Transfer those sodium filled exhaust valves from your turbo head to your replacement head. They do represent a heat rejection item that you want to maintain.
Agreed.

And yes... definitely reuse your turbo exhaust valves.

TonyG
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Thanks for the input guys, thats exactly what I was planning on doing. I'll be porting the head and going to +2mm intake valves along with a general rebuild and decking, and an offset cam key to get my cam advance back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked Exhst Port Ceramic - how bad?