Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water/meth injection, how many of you

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Water/meth injection, how many of you

So I've been checking this out over the past couple weeks, To me it sounds like it would work great on our cars, How many of you guys are running meth injection, What's your experience with it? And what kinda improvements do you see? I'm just trying to get a feel for it before I dive in.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Curious to hear on this as well since e85 isnt very available I was considering this too
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Curious to hear on this as well since e85 isnt very available I was considering this too
Everything I've been reading and watching about water/meth injection it's all a big plus, There are some really well made kits for like $200-$300, you get the knock protection from the meth and cooling from the water... Seems like a no brainer to me... I'm surprised I haven't seen more post on it
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I have a water/meth injection kit on my Callaway 944. I purchased the kit to reduce EGT's at the track and play around with timing. Unfortunately, I have not had a lot of seat time these past couple years and the car has mostly sat. See this link for some pictures and more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...er-meth-2.html
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised ALL of the forced induction hot rodding crowd hasn't embraced water/meth spray, it's such a no brainer.
My experience with it is with an engine that admittedly runs a lot harder than any 951, (383 hp/litre, 13 psi with heavy nitrous) but we saw over 100F temp reduction in the plenum with it, and 60-ish horsepower increase on the dyno.
The increased effective octane allowed us to be more confident (braver) with the tune as well. This engine runs the Texas Mile, so it's no flash-pull dyno queen, and is even run on the street on occasion.
Just don't forget that the meth is fuel, you can't turn it on and off without it affecting the tune.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
I'm surprised ALL of the forced induction hot rodding crowd hasn't embraced water/meth spray, it's such a no brainer.
My experience with it is with an engine that admittedly runs a lot harder than any 951, (383 hp/litre, 13 psi with heavy nitrous) but we saw over 100F temp reduction in the plenum with it, and 60-ish horsepower increase on the dyno.
The increased effective octane allowed us to be more confident (braver) with the tune as well. This engine runs the Texas Mile, so it's no flash-pull dyno queen, and is even run on the street on occasion.
Just don't forget that the meth is fuel, you can't turn it on and off without it affecting the tune.
Yea I've been reading Alot about the tuning, I don't have a way to control timing advance or alter fueling, I basically just want it for the knock protection and cooling the charge a bit, Rihjt now I'm running about 17psi on a 26/8 turbo, and 951Max chips, MBC and so on. Do you guys think I should start with just water, or do a 50/50 blend? Id like to up the boost to maye 18psi... I know im pushing the limits of this little turbo.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I ran water injection on my old Audi 5-cylinder turbo track car. It worked great as the intercooler was inadequate on that car and there was nowhere to put a bigger/better one. With the water injector located right after the intercooler we tuned the timing much more aggressively. And it kept intake temps below the 140 F point where the Audi computer would run out of timing adjustment. The car pulled much better down the straights.

The issue was knowing when the water tank ran out. Without the water, the engine would quickly have pinged itself to death. I was using the washer fluid bottle which would last 12-15 laps and then pop the warning light on the dash. Perfect!

Rich
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the Nitrous route.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be pretty simple to trigger the water with a MAP sensor. Testing would show when you need the water to start, and all-or-nothing flow is probably close enough for a comparatively low power street car application.
Sure, it's more elegant to have pulse width modulation spray like we do on our land speed engine (we need perfectly sorted throttle response to keep the tire hooked up, even the smallest random surging would hurt our traction which is tenuous at best), but we're running a custom Mega Squirt ECU to control everything.
All that is too much trouble - and not worth it - on a car.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Do the Nitrous route.
The only thing Preventing me from using the Zex nitrous kit I have is the kits a dry kit and I'm already pushing the limits of my stock fuel system and already have the FQS at %3 more fuel
Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd probably start by gaining control over fuel, timing and boost. That will allow you to get more out of the water/meth injection, but no question it can allow more boost without more knock even without having control over timing and fuel. I can vouch for the Aquamist HFS-4 system and for Howerton Engineering.

http://howertonengineering.com/produ...quamist-hfs-4/

Aquamist's system has a programmable injector, a fairly advanced controller to program it, a true fail-safe system, and a nice gauge. They also have all the fittings you'll ever need, including parts to retro-fit the wiper fluid tank to hold the fluid. Boost Juice from Snow is a convenient way to get a water/meth mix, which does make more power than water alone...

Quick Reply: Water/meth injection, how many of you