Who is running water/meth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I would be carefull in putting it before the intercooler.

It has been my experience that it can puddle and give a big bog when you get on it hence my running it after the IC
Water inj before intercooler = Bad.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
I'm waiting for John's kit to come out before I go WI (that and my tec 2 install so I can tweek timing/ fuel).

He really thinks things through on his products and they are tailored for our application.
Can't agree more let's see more guys using the system some hard data, before we jump in the water.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can inject before or after the IC, it doesn't really matter.
Slight differences are: if you inject before, there will be slightly less pressure drop through the IC (a good thing). If you inject after, the total heat loss will be greater
There will be no puddling in the IC if you inject before; the combination of hot air coming straight from the turbo (easy evaporation) and high velocity will see to that.

Some people say they like port WI. I think it's unnessesary complication with no benefits. Anti-detonation capability is very good, but with a hair less power.

However, doing all this will basically not improve on anything if you're running out of turbocharger (ie. those that want to go nuts with their stock turbo): A proper WI system will make your charge air denser (this is what we want); but, then your turbo will have to flow even more air to keep the same boost. So, then it will spin even more out of its efficiency range. So, then you're starting with even hotter air and more back pressure, and so on, and so on; you're chasing your tail.
WI is intended to be used on an already efficient turbo system, front to back.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JE_951
I am looking into the smow performance Stage 2 MAF boost cooler.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=9
I've been using the Snow Stage 2 MAF for a few years now and it does work really well. The ability to ramp the injector flow based upon MAF output is really cool. It's important to note that you won't reap the full benefits without retuning your AFR. Depending on the recipe, I've seen as much as 1.5 points richer. Some setups work better with denatured alky than they do meth/h20. I'd recommend you add their solenoid as well or you may be drawing fluid under vacuum.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As everyone already knows it, WI has many benefits. I did evaluate the various offerings on the market, some good some are just basic systems. The more control you have the better, so pick your system based on features not just price.
One item I found lacking on most systems, except some of the over $1000 kits, is a fail-safe mode. When your car is tuned to run X amount of boost and ignition advance based on WI, what happens when the WI system fails. Some of the failures are: No water, pump failure, solenoid failure, nozzle clogged etc.. A good system will go to safety-mode by itself. Safety mode can be in the form of dumping the boost to a preset level, setting ignition retard to a preset max value etc.. You add to this list.

To get a system that operates in closed-loop requires good design, good components selection and good testing. A good system without good support and without educating the customer will fail.

There are plenty of systems on the market, do your homework and get a system you can live with.

I have spent some time looking into a WI system for the 951. However, to get it to do what I think a WI system should do, it will drive the price up. At this stage, it's sitting on the back burner. I might end up offering a subsystem that can be used with some of the existing kits. Some of the WI companies sell 500+ units a month, it will be impossible to offer a kit to match their prices.

Great thread, lots of positive input.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out these guys, nicely prices stuff:

http://www.coolingmist.com/
Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 AM
mfloren
Intermediate

Im in the middle of installing a system using my windshield washer tank as Ill probably use WW fluid. might as well knock 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 AM
mfloren
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast951
what happens when the WI system fails. .
If im not mistaken the KLR has a limp mode. Wouldnt it be easy to rid a fluid level device to trip the limp mode in the klr when the fluid / pressure / what ever you want reaches a certain point???

Im using a fluid level warning light to trigger an LED on the insturment pannel. the same one that triggers when N2O pressure is to low.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
mfloren
Intermediate

aagghhh.. meth this and meth that, J/K

just replace the pump, get larger injectors, remap the ecu for e85 and run 28lbs of boost all day long.

problem solved.

(a friend has an eclipse with 650+hp dialy driver on e85 at 28psi with no knock)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

But with alky injection you can get your base fuel anywhere. It's a lot like race-gas-on-demand.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a stage 2 kit from: http://www.enginerunup.com/shop.php/...oost-/p_7.html

From the research I did they had the best kit for the price range I was looking at ($400 or below). I am using a 1988 944 winshield washer tank (which is smaller) than the large 944 tanks. The installation was not bad. Planning out where I wanted everything routed was the biggest challenge. I will be using windshield washer fluid at ~ 35% meth currently. I do have a TEC2 so I can adjust timing and fuel parameters and datalog AFR's. I would like to publicly thank Laust for his help and numerous PM's guiding me through this. He has a kick butt port water injection system.
Based on calculations I found that for my performance levels a 4gph nozzle was right in the range with the 150psi pump I have. Browse around the link above, their digital controllers look really nice and adjustment would certainly be a plus. Also guys running meth (alky) through your Aluminum intercoolers will corrode them so put your nozzles after the intercooler. I am hopefully going to get the Callaway back on the road over labor day weekend. I will post my results.
I was going to post a thread once I had everything up but here a few pics as of now.
Attached Images     
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
BKiller
Instructor

The WRX guys are doing a ton of work/tuning with WI and Meth. Check out this forum for enough info to make you dizzy. Some really big results out of meth/water going on though.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Charlie944, Nice setup. Keep your eyes on the boost activated switch you are using. The manufacturer recommends against using it in the engine bay. Many WI kits include it as it's inexpensive in comparison the the sealed units.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
WI also allows you to advance timing, it is kind of similar to running with race gas......

Anyone interested in a group buy for a whole kit (100-150psi pump, lines, nozzles, everything else?)
Yes
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

And for a super fail safe, one can always run WI with no increase of boost or timing and just get the benefits of a cooler charge air, which for every X amount of degree drop of intake temps results in X amount of increased hp and throttle response.

Quick Reply: Who is running water/meth?