Standalone's ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
951blur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone's ?

Hey Guys,

I have an 89 951 S that has the lindsey racing 340 kit. Lindsey Racing wastegate and blow off. LR 4 inch exhaust and 55 lb injectors/ 3.0 bar regulator with LR Maftuner that is just not cutting it for me.

I live in Houston and this town is not a motorsports town, hardly any Porsche's much less guys that no how to work on 944's. The mechanic I go to suggested a Motec Standalone but the total cost is $4K installed. Do you have any cheaper suggestions as far as standalones go that will compare to the Motec? Maybe even some shops in Houston that you know tune and mess around with old school OBD-1 four cylinders?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Motec Standalone for $4k installed?? Run, do not walk. Give him your deposit. That is a crazy cheap price. It would have to be wrong. I'd be asking exactly what you get for $4k. I'd say that's the price of unit 'Standing Alone' without anything else.

ps...why do you want standalone?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It may be that low because they are not aware of the full project scope. I would expect some corner cutting or cost increase as the project continued, and probably both.

A standalone should not be looked at as a performance upgrade, or at least not one that will give you more hp/tq. It will allow more flexible tuning, data logging, options for outputs, etc... Is it possible to get more power with a standalone? Sure. But you'll be looking at another $1-2K in dyno time/ tuning (if someone else is doing it) and if they're not very good at what they're doing, you may end up with less power and poor driveability. Most of the guys, that do a lot of tuning, have built up a catalog of base files that will get a particular engine configuration to 90%, then tweak the parameters to meet the specific application.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Motec for $4k installed? Maybe a used unit with a hacked together stock wiring loom....

If it sounds too good....
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I head you have to pay to unlock features on the motec?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The new Motec M84s are 2275. Installed for $4k is about right. The Motec is a powerful unit. As far as 944 or 951 mechanics in Houston there are several. If you had asked the board the 944/951 owners here would have been more than happy to point out several like was done about a month ago.

If you are putting it in a street car, I would do something that can play with the Bosch unit already in the car. I.e. rogue tune,lindsey, vitesse to name a few. Megasquirt makes a stand by also.

By the way search is your friend.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
951blur
Advanced

Yeah it's a Motec M84 we are talking about. $3K for box/harness and $1K for labor installing the harness and converting over from MAF. This will be a street/AutoX car so I want it to run right and be reliable. My car has the Lindsey Max performance chip with a MAFtuner piggyback set up that is garbage.

He didn't say anything about dyno time or cost but he has one in his shop so I figure that's probably included and he already has Motec tuned a car just like mine with the exact mods as mine. So I bet he probably already has a good base file for my car.My mechanic builds 944 race cars and 951 race cars, he only uses Motec and has never had a problem.

None of you mentioned another Standalone Box, so is Motec the only way to go? I think $4K is big investment! My mechanic also said he can get it to pass our state emissions test "my car has no cat" with the Motec tuned right.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm somewhat impressed that it is 4K installed. My Electromotive TecGT was 4k and I did the install.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 951blur
Yeah it's a Motec M84 we are talking about. $3K for box/harness and $1K for labor installing the harness and converting over from MAF. This will be a street/AutoX car so I want it to run right and be reliable. My car has the Lindsey Max performance chip with a MAFtuner piggyback set up that is garbage.

He didn't say anything about dyno time or cost but he has one in his shop so I figure that's probably included and he already has Motec tuned a car just like mine with the exact mods as mine. So I bet he probably already has a good base file for my car.My mechanic builds 944 race cars and 951 race cars, he only uses Motec and has never had a problem.

None of you mentioned another Standalone Box, so is Motec the only way to go? I think $4K is big investment! My mechanic also said he can get it to pass our state emissions test "my car has no cat" with the Motec tuned right.
Here is 2 of the very popular options.
http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/mass_air_flow.html

http://roguetuning.com/951_maf_kit_m-tune%C2%A9

Both are different, and both are good!

Both are race proven also. and a lot cheaper then a standalone. For some extra $$$ you can get a piggy back for the vitesse one and get it fine tuned, or you can modify the stock DME for the M-tune and basically turns that into a standalone.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

4k may be a good price depending on the options you get. Is closed loop boost control included?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 951blur

Who is doing the work?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

There massive amounts of other options for that price and around it. Motec is no longer the only player.

Link, Adaptronic, Vipec (link), and the new AEM.

Call Neel Vasava(sic) at apex tuning. http://www.apexspeedtech.com/
Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
The new Motec M84s are 2275. Installed for $4k is about right. The Motec is a powerful unit. As far as 944 or 951 mechanics in Houston there are several. If you had asked the board the 944/951 owners here would have been more than happy to point out several like was done about a month ago.

If you are putting it in a street car, I would do something that can play with the Bosch unit already in the car. I.e. rogue tune,lindsey, vitesse to name a few. Megasquirt makes a stand by also.

By the way search is your friend.
4K!

yeah, if the shop programs and installs for free ....... Vitesse if you want simple ...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Even then...I thought Motec U.$. was quite a bit more than what we pay in Oz.
Here's a price list from a dealer down here. It's a few years old I reckon so prices would be more expensive...and yes, their business model is that you have to pay to play. The more features you want, you pay to have your unit 'unlocked' or enabled. Very clever and profitable marketing. Seems to work.

http://www.cityperformancecentre.com..._pricelist.pdf

http://www.cityperformancecentre.com...duct_range.pdf

Personally, I think for 98% of 944's you really only need one of the good (non standalone) offerings from vendors already mentioned here. However if you can get assurance from this guy that he will install a Motec Unit at $4k and that he also has a ton of 951 maps, then I'd seriously put your deposit down on Monday.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

My next standalone will be VEMS. http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...&products_id=8

Quick Reply: Standalone's ?