Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally got the 3.0 turbo right!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
It seems to me that Tom's posted log was obtained on the road, though?

Would be interesting to get some curves obtained from using a driftbox or the likes when driving on the road, as you should then be having a slightly higher torque peak on the road that on the dyno.

I'm mostly interested in the 100-200kph time, it should tell most how the car performs.
Toms log was on the road agreed but you need a road log of mine to compare.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Nick, congrats and cheers on getting it sorted -- looks like you have a real stump-puller there, which must be a blast to drive. Looks like the boost is trailing off toward redline -- trust the wastegate is fresh and that's just the turbo trying to keep up with big 3 liter lungs? I'm still perplexed by your experience with the Vitesse Stage 5 turbo. Mine is circa 2006 if memory serves and as I've posted before makes 14.5psi at 3000 (see log below) and made 500rwhp on a dynojet (at higher boost, but with more to give). Maybe yours was older or not working right in some way? Either way, happy you found one you like and can finally enjoy the car the way it was built to be enjoyed...
Tom what gear is that in?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
It does as you have a bigger void to fill.
The difference is ~50 RPM difference If that. The turbo moves air so quick that filling the intercooler & boost pipes so quick that you cannot even notice it.

I've never encountered any extra lag from a larger intercooler.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Having never measured this to any degree I can't state with any surety but I'd be inclined to agree with Pauly in terms of not losing too much, if any tangible spool time due to larger I/C. I'm sure in absolute terms you must, but then compared to what, stock? Perhaps your I/C has better flow against some old clogged stock I/C anyway Nick in which case it minimises this. I think once the motor displaces positive pressure it circulates very quickly...well that's my totally subjective theory anyway. :-) Look at those guys running turbos right down near the rear muffler. They should experience extremely laggy response shouldn't they?

As for the gear/final drive ratio conundrum...I am still on the fence about this. We know that a longer gear will allow the turbo to load more and probably move into it's preferred efficiency area, but maybe the stock shorter gearing is more commonly in the 'meat' of the powerband which leads to faster acceleration. I would think that it also depends on where and how you drive. On the track some would argue that having longer gearing would result in greater torque and of course less gear changes and gear changes cost time (unless you're one of those lucky bastards who have pneumatically operated paddle shift sequential gizmotrons !)...where others would say that they can access the powerband more readily with a shorter set and also perhaps be in a more suitable rpm range for particular parts of the track. I didn't find the 6 speed too short for the brief time I had it on the last iteration of my car...but perhaps it might be all wrong in the (hopefully) not too distant future.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, if you calculate how much air that goes through the engine you will find that a few liters here and there in the IC piping etc is very negligible
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The difference is ~50 RPM difference If that. The turbo moves air so quick that filling the intercooler & boost pipes so quick that you cannot even notice it.

Every little counts. We are only talking 200 - 300 rpm so 50rpm of that is still 15 - 20%. The effect of larger pipes and intercoolers is well documented. My air intake is also less than ideal but I need to work on this. I am not saying it is a big deal just a contributing factor.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Having never measured this to any degree I can't state with any surety but I'd be inclined to agree with Pauly in terms of not losing too much, if any tangible spool time due to larger I/C. I'm sure in absolute terms you must, but then compared to what, stock? Perhaps your I/C has better flow against some old clogged stock I/C anyway Nick in which case it minimises this. I think once the motor displaces positive pressure it circulates very quickly...well that's my totally subjective theory anyway. :-) Look at those guys running turbos right down near the rear muffler. They should experience extremely laggy response shouldn't they?

As for the gear/final drive ratio conundrum...I am still on the fence about this. We know that a longer gear will allow the turbo to load more and probably move into it's preferred efficiency area, but maybe the stock shorter gearing is more commonly in the 'meat' of the powerband which leads to faster acceleration. I would think that it also depends on where and how you drive. On the track some would argue that having longer gearing would result in greater torque and of course less gear changes and gear changes cost time (unless you're one of those lucky bastards who have pneumatically operated paddle shift sequential gizmotrons !)...where others would say that they can access the powerband more readily with a shorter set and also perhaps be in a more suitable rpm range for particular parts of the track. I didn't find the 6 speed too short for the brief time I had it on the last iteration of my car...but perhaps it might be all wrong in the (hopefully) not too distant future.
I am not saying the six speed is bad, just that it has a significant effect on the way the turbo responds. I like the six speed with this turbo but it sucks on the motorway as it needs another gear!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Lol...and I always wanted the 6 speed as the 5 speed with the S2 ring and pinion REALLY needs another gear on the Motorway!! I'm not even sure that an expensive custom ring and pinion for the 6 speed would solve some of the issues. Probably need to go the even more costly aftermarket cogs although maybe 4-6 might suffice? Are the 968 gears interchangeable with the G50 sets?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. I would just leave it like that and enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Lol...and I always wanted the 6 speed as the 5 speed with the S2 ring and pinion REALLY needs another gear on the Motorway!! I'm not even sure that an expensive custom ring and pinion for the 6 speed would solve some of the issues. Probably need to go the even more costly aftermarket cogs although maybe 4-6 might suffice? Are the 968 gears interchangeable with the G50 sets?
The 968 turbo s box has the right ratios with a longer 5th and 6th with a longer final drive
Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

A brief update on my car....

More trials and tribulations after the last update - turns out the head gasket was weakened at the dyno and the coolant system was blowing out some coolant at a couple of the hose connections. So I did the HG last year and got the car up and running again.

Before I did the HG and after a fair amount of head scratching and reading I decided to replace the number 8 hotside housing which came with Thoms old turbo for the number 10 housing taken off my old VR5. I knew they would fit as both turbine wheels where the same. The reasons for doing this swap were twofold - the engine would not make power at the top end with any more boost above 0.9 bar and the head gasket went on the dyno so both pointed to an overly restrictive hotside. I could either change the whole turbo.....again or just try the larger housing to take the pressure off a little.

So far things have been good. The larger housing works well, the car feels better up to the top end and the HG is holding well as are the coolant temps.

Next step is to fix the annoying hot start issue I have had for years which seems to be a fuel pressure drop off problem. I have fitted a check valve in the fuel lines as the 044 pump does not have one fitted due to lack of room in the pump location. However the Fuel Lab regulator I have is also letting pressure drain off too fast so that is getting replaced with an SX regulator that is supposed to hold pressure for longer after shutdown. Fingers crossed this does the trick.

Next step is suspension. The KW V3 which was used when I bought it is past its best and the car is not very confidence inspiring, rather than getting another KW kit or getting it rebuilt I am considering AST coilovers as they seem to be the closest thing to PSS9/ PSS10 that I can find and have a good reputation with a lot of the BMW guys as a streetable coilover kit that works well at the track. I will also replace the control arms with the Hartech motorsport versions of the genuine arms at the same time and fit the M030 spindles I have been sitting on to eliminate the brake adaptors and get a little clearance back between the tie rod ends. When that is all done I might finally consider fitting my freshly re-finished Turbo 3.6 Speedline wheels!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy

Can't. The BOV/WG/ has nothing to do with "filling" anything. WG opens at a set boost level, and the BOV opens/closes from MAP/MAF vacuum or boost from a killer turbo at idle. Once on boost, unless you're filling your kids jumping castle prior to the intercooler, assuming leaks are not present, size of piping/intercooler is irrelevant towards lag. "I'm assuming the piping/intercooler fit under the hood".

Can't truly measure 50 rpm towards any realistic outcome towards efficiency/spool capability of the turbo/supercharger, etc.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:50 AM
Diver944
Pro

Great news Nick, I thought you'd been a bit quiet
Old 08-13-2015, 09:17 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver944
Great news Nick, I thought you'd been a bit quiet
I thought he was working out how many £££ to put in the advert ? And what he wanted for that spare bit he's been holding on it .
Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

did you try swapping an early NA 5th gear to the S2 box?
S2 has a taller R/P than the NA and the early NA box cruises fine at 80mph/130kph, don't know what your motorway speed range is though

Quick Reply: Finally got the 3.0 turbo right!