Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

trans install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trans install question

installing my trans after finishing a clutch job. Trans is bolted to the TT, but when i raise it up, it doesnt line up with the trans mount. I have to use a pry bar to push the entire trans over to the driver side some. Even with that, its as if the trans/tt is 1/2 too far back. I again had to use a prybar on my trans mount to force it into a position where I could get the bolts through.

Is this normal? What could the cause of it be? I have the bell housing torqued, the tt tourqued..etc.etc
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Is the cross member on the car or trans?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:57 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

on the car
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

IMO its way easier to lift the trans already attached to the crossmember. that way the two bolts to hold it all up are much easier to get to than the little 13mms.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to lifting and bolting in the crossmember with trans already attached. Way easier and faster.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I generally leave the bolts loose and get all of the mounting bolts in before tightening them.

To answer your question, usually the trans jacks up close to being able to install the bolts.

As to why? it could be that your mount is moved out of position.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

What about the motor mounts? I did manage to get my trans bolted up, but even with everything loose, I had to prybar the trans to get the crossmember screwed into the frame. I do have solid trans and motor mounts btw.

another question too. I replaced my clutch (hence dropping the trans) and upon re-installation, I dont think I aligned the clutch disk properly, and dont think the driveshaft was seated into the pilot bearing. When installing the trans the drive shaft and the trans shaft were touching. I took everything apart, and re-aligned the clutch disk, but come to realize that the distance between the shafts has to be perfect to fit the coupler. How is this distance created? is it based on where the pilot bearing is seated? can you seat the pilot bearing too far back?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car is on jack stands with the front higher the motor/driveshaft can lean backwards on those rubber motor mounts. The tip of the drive shaft should be 49mm from the face of the torque tube bellhousing.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
If the car is on jack stands with the front higher the motor/driveshaft can lean backwards on those rubber motor mounts. The tip of the drive shaft should be 49mm from the face of the torque tube bellhousing.
Heed this comment. The driveshaft slides back and forth in the TT. You need to measure to be sure the front end of the drive shaft went into the pilot bearing and didn't just trick you by sliding back in the tube an inch or two. You should not need to pry hard on things to get them to line up. If the drive shaft is seated in the pilot bearing and the TT is bolted flush to the bell housing, the tranny should couple up without excess force.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

can i assume that there is no way to set the pilot bearing (and therefor the drive shaft) too far forward?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

I like answering my own questions. Turns out is is possible to have the drive shaft too far forward. I attached my coupler to my drive shaft, then had to pry it towards the trans ~1/8 inch to get the coupler to line up. was not hard at all.

Quick Reply: trans install question