Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hunting/Fluctuating Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Have you reset the idle AFTER sealing intake (per Toms advice above)?
Ted, I will do that tonight. It was getting a bit late last night, so I called it quits.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Tom McGuiness has been godsend me directing me at some of the possible causes.
Raj
I couldn't agree more....
He's the closest thing to Jesus on this earth .....
Saving is his business
I know this really sucks!
There were times that I felt like I swapped out 1/2 the damn car to find that damn gremlin !!!
Good luck ..
Regards
Ed
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Adrial, I did all those checks besides not setting idle screw at 1.5 turns. Will do that today. But the idle-step screw is set per specs and the TPS clicks right before full throttle close.

I will try a couple of other things today. If I don't get this thing sorted in the next couple of days, I am ordering a TPS.
Sounds good. BTW I think it is 1/2 turn after contact, not 1.5 -- not sure if that was a typo.

I had a problem with the power wiring to the AFM a few years ago, it would only start acting up (bouncing idle, refuse to rev, etc) once it warmed up. I ended up troubleshooting it by sticking the multimeter probes in the back of the AFM connector with the engine running. Sure enough, every time the idle dropped, power to the AFM dropped as well.

If the problem continues after you replace the TPS, you could do the same thing to rule out the TPS & wiring to it completely.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Guys, I 'think' I might be on to something. I loosened the TPS to see what happens if I move it, the symptoms were similar to me holding throttle, car idled without fluctuations, but at 1400rpm.

Next I put my hand around the hardpipe above the J-boot area and felt a stream of air (could be the alternator fan). Curiously, I tried moving the J boot and right away the car stalled. Hmmm

I turned the car back on and tried moving the Jboot again, same thing, the car stalled at the least amount of movement to the JBoot. So, there is a leak somewhere for sure, or else the car would not stall everytime I try moving the Jboot.

This leaves it down to a few things.
1) JBoot
2) BOV
3) Connections to the JBoot
4) MAF/connection fo MAF As the MAF was connected to the JBoot during the test)

Now I know where to focus my attention. I will be inspecting everything very carefully tomorrow. I could not find what might be the culprit. It could very well be the MAF or its connection (maybe a crimped cable).

Adrial, I did make the proper adjustments to the throttle body as per your recommendations, but they had no affect to the fluctuating idle. Let's see what I find in the JBoot vicinity.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by RajDatta; 03-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty good TPS Link here if you don't have it already.

http://arnnworx.com/tps-repair.htm

and

http://arnnworx.com/DME_KLR_Test_Plan.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Easy way to find the problem is to pressurize the intake. Plug the line to the aos and pressure to 5psi. You will find the problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Easy way to find the problem is to pressurize the intake. Plug the line to the aos and pressure to 5psi. You will find the problem.
Thank you. A test is definitely in order. I tried visually inspecting all the connections but did not find any suspects. Just to make matters worse, my air compressor is on its last leg. Should be hopefully getting close to the root of the problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
pretty good TPS Link here if you don't have it already.

http://arnnworx.com/tps-repair.htm

and

http://arnnworx.com/DME_KLR_Test_Plan.pdf
Ski, great reads. I think my TPS is also part of the problem because the ISV is not kicking in.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

any luck yet, find the gremlin?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ISV only kicks in when KLR gets closed throttle/idle signal. Once you straighten that out, if the isv still isnt working and it isnt a tps issue, do also know that the driver circuit for the ISV inside the DME can fail and the car will still start and drive..something to consider. The repair if that is the case is extremely easy if you know how to use a soldering iron, and costs less than 5 dollars.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had this issue I "borrowed" a TPS...but turns out it was bad too. Put a new one on and problem solved
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Guys, apologies for the lack of updates.

I have been swamped at work and have not had a chance to dig into the problem. I should have an update shortly.

As far as it being a TPS issue, could be, but what is very curious is that any movement in the Jboot shuts the car off. I plan on eliminating each component, 1 at a time until I find the culrpit.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

Regards,
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well my bet is on the idle valve - mine is now doing the same thing!! All I did was change plugs and wires, seems the PO has some great electrical tape around the connection to it by #3 and now surging idle, up to 1800, down to 900 and all I did was move that wire so I guess a broken one is in there or a ground is gone is my guess! *&^&%$!@ and I just pulled the track car motor yesterday.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
Well my bet is on the idle valve - mine is now doing the same thing!! All I did was change plugs and wires, seems the PO has some great electrical tape around the connection to it by #3 and now surging idle, up to 1800, down to 900 and all I did was move that wire so I guess a broken one is in there or a ground is gone is my guess! *&^&%$!@ and I just pulled the track car motor yesterday.
Would be very interested to see what it turns out to be. Who knows, it could be the same problem for the both of us. Good luck. You will probably get to the bottom of yours before me.

Raj
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, leaving for vacation in the morning, cover is on it. I'll pull the intake when I get back and check out the wiring. pm me if you get yours solved.

Quick Reply: Hunting/Fluctuating Idle