Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Opinions on my GT3076R setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
The factory 968T airbox is the same as the 951, with the same rectangular restriction before the AFM.

The 968TS exhaust is an odd beast. If I remember correctly the downpipe is the same doubled-skinned unit carried over from the 951, then the (single) piping goes into a shorter but surprisingly larger cat, then into a triangular backbox like on the 968 NA from which dual piping goes the rear muffler, then we have this dual piping going to the twin tail pipes.
Will be interesting to see if Raj's original exhaust is similar.
Thom, so what do you think? Looks right?

Below is a comparison to show the difference between a 968 turbo S cat and a 951 cat.

Last edited by RajDatta; 01-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

To add, attaching pics of my engine setup. It was very cloudy, so pics are a bit gray.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Can't see any pics Raj?

I know you want to maintain stock components as much as possible but if you have essentially a 951 exhaust setup I'd be updating that at the very least. That's a heavy and restrictive setup for sure. Have you ever picked up the whole exhaust? Weighs a ton and the twin skin thing goes down to a really small aperture. A new downpipe and 3" system would be on my agenda.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As I said there are good GT30's and not so good, the HKS are good, but they don't have seven blades.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Can't see any pics Raj?

I know you want to maintain stock components as much as possible but if you have essentially a 951 exhaust setup I'd be updating that at the very least. That's a heavy and restrictive setup for sure. Have you ever picked up the whole exhaust? Weighs a ton and the twin skin thing goes down to a really small aperture. A new downpipe and 3" system would be on my agenda.
Odd, I set the album as public and I can view it. Anyone else who is having problems viewing the pictures as well?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thingo
As I said there are good GT30's and not so good, the HKS are good, but they don't have seven blades.
It's evident the problem is not with the turbo, good or bad. It is about maximizing my current setup. I am perfectly happy with the power, just looking to move the torque band to the left.
Buying a "good" turbo won't buy me anything.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It's evident the problem is not with the turbo, good or bad. It is about maximizing my current setup. I am perfectly happy with the power, just looking to move the torque band to the left.
Buying a "good" turbo won't buy me anything.
I understand you are never going to be short of power with your engine, but I am not sure you will gain what you are looking for if you change the turbine housing, I expect a retune will be fine for your needs.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thingo
I understand you are never going to be short of power with your engine, but I am not sure you will gain what you are looking for if you change the turbine housing, I expect a retune will be fine for your needs.
Could very well be the case. The tuner struggled quite a bit to get the 72lb injectors to work at low/part load. My idle is still very rich for the 1st min until it clears up.

BTW, are the pictures viewable to everyone?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO these turbos are made to be ran with 3" exhausts. Even with your engine size, 2.5" is just to small.
I reckon get a full 3" exhaust, 2 large blow through SS mufflers, or 1 with a cat (up to you, i rather 2 mufflers) and a retune or consider vitesse chips or rogue tuning chips.

Not sure how restrictive the airbox is, but to find out dyno with it on, and one with it off, and it'll show you the results.

Patrick is right, the stock 951 exhaust is quite heavy, when i replaced mine with a 3" turbo back, it was much lighter.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not getting the exhaust pics either.

Is the compressor getting its' air from the hot engine bay, around the coolant tank? It's a turbo phenomenon that it takes alot more exhaust energy to make boost from hot air as opposed to the exhaust needed to make boost from cold intake air. That would be an issue right there. You might just have a few of these "less than ideal" circumstances; from air entry, all the way back to the tailpipe, which all pile up for you to lose 500+ RPM worth of spool. Attention to detail when engineering a system can pay huge dividends. Might be a diffcult decision when wanting to keep the car stock looking.
How does the car feel when driving it?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
IMO these turbos are made to be ran with 3" exhausts. Even with your engine size, 2.5" is just to small.
I reckon get a full 3" exhaust, 2 large blow through SS mufflers, or 1 with a cat (up to you, i rather 2 mufflers) and a retune or consider vitesse chips or rogue tuning chips.

Not sure how restrictive the airbox is, but to find out dyno with it on, and one with it off, and it'll show you the results.

Patrick is right, the stock 951 exhaust is quite heavy, when i replaced mine with a 3" turbo back, it was much lighter.
I think you guys are missing the point here. I have put together something using some extremely rare and original parts. Swapping the factory original 968turbo S exhaust would defeat that purpose. I want my car to be as close to the real deal as possible. I have gone through great lengths in securing these parts and I am not done yet (been 10+ yrs already). It is a true replica in many ways, using as many factory parts as possible. These parts are no longer available, at any cost.

I am perfectly happy with my current power (which is still 100hp north of what the factory cars made). Just want to make sure I can maximize the setup within the constraints of my design.

A small video showing a 968 on full tune getting passed by my turbo right at 1:50 mark. The car is fast even with such a restrictive exhaust. You barely hear the car go by.

I lifted off as soon as I passed him.
Regards.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Pictures are here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...0&ref=gnr-prev

Why does it go from 1 to 2 pipes after the wastegate tie in?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
I'm not getting the exhaust pics either.

Is the compressor getting its' air from the hot engine bay, around the coolant tank? It's a turbo phenomenon that it takes alot more exhaust energy to make boost from hot air as opposed to the exhaust needed to make boost from cold intake air. That would be an issue right there. You might just have a few of these "less than ideal" circumstances; from air entry, all the way back to the tailpipe, which all pile up for you lose 500+ RPM worth of spool. Attention to detail when engineering a system can pay huge dividends. Might be a diffcult decision when wanting to keep the car stock looking.
How does the car feel when driving it?
If anything, I have the factory turbo S hood, which channels cool outside air directly to this snorkel. I don't think it is related to hot engine temps.

Car feels great, super quiet, but very fast. The gearing is quite high for US, so I have to struggle to keep it in 6th gear on the highway. I am barely at 2800rpm at 80mph. And as you can imagine, with my tq curve, I would need to go down atleast 2 gears to get into the meat of the powerband.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I understand your point. To maximise your set up... try replacing the cat. it could have had it. clogged. It's a possibility. There's nothing wrong with changing the cat to a higher flowing one is there?

Or go back to the original headers. or both?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Pictures are here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...0&ref=gnr-prev

Why does it go from 1 to 2 pipes after the wastegate tie in?
That is the catalytic convertor for the wastegate. That is how they designed them.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my GT3076R setup